MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 'dead' batteries can be revived on a trickle charger/maintainer if left on there. I know it can take a while too. I've had mine charging for a little over six days, which seems excessive. I posit a question to those experienced/knowledgeable about this topic: is it time to give up and buy a new battery?

The battery in question is a Odyssey PC545.

The battery had not enough charge to even light up the interior lights of the car at the time I removed it and brought it inside. Nothing. Nadda. Zip.

The maintainer I have is this one. The power (red) light is on, indicating the charger has power. The yellow light is on and steady, indicating it is charging. A blinking yellow would indicate fully charged battery. A blinking red light indicates an aborted charge, so I thought I might see one if the battery was beyond redemption. I have no tools for testing voltage. Should I make a circuit with my body to see if the battery has a charge at all? :)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
For 2.99 you can go to harbor freight and get a volt meter and see what the volts are and to see if your trickle charger is working. Also, check to see if the battery has water. My spyder is on a trickle charge all throughout winter.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For 2.99 you can go to harbor freight and get a volt meter and see what the volts are and to see if your trickle charger is working. Also, check to see if the battery has water. My spyder is on a trickle charge all throughout winter.
It's a sealed drycell. Do they have water?

That's not a bad idea. For $2.99 I can't really say no. That sounds a lot safer than making a two-handed circuit.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your battery is dead. Buy a new one.

As to sealed batteries and water:
Yes there was water in there at one time.
Maybe it's still there. Maybe it's not.
You'll never know, 'cause it's sealed!
:lol:

Wait a minute....
You said dry cell.
AFAIK you can't recharge a dry cell battery.
Sucessfully, that is. Marketing be dammned.
Should I hold it over my head and try to pry one end off with a screw driver to see if water comes out? It will solve the mystery about whether a drycell is actually dry.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Pop the sealed caps off and check for water. If need, add some. You have nothing to lose by trying. However it may be already dead.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pop the sealed caps off and check for water. If need, add some. You have nothing to lose by trying. However it may be already dead.
I read up on it and, apparently, there is no water/acid in the battery if you were to just open it up or split it open. I'm out of luck...

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I just looked up your battery and it seems to be an AGM. AGM batteries do not like to be trickle charged and that is what destroys them. With AGM you charge them up and then disconnect the batter for storage to prevent scavenging losses.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
[QUOTE=d

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
+1 If you want more info Google "AGM batteries and trickle charger".

I used to trickle charge/maintain mine till I read more about the AGM batteries. Now I have a quick disconnect on mine.
That is probably the only Achilles heal for AGM otherwise it is superior in every way to lead acid.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just looked up your battery and it seems to be an AGM. AGM batteries do not like to be trickle charged and that is what destroys them. With AGM you charge them up and then disconnect the batter for storage to prevent scavenging losses.
Damn. My current battery actually died with the negative terminal unplugged. It had a full charge before I unplugged it. 2 months later = dead. It nearly died a few times during its life, so I suppose I damaged its capacity to hold a charge? Too bad. I guess I have an excuse to try a 6lb battery again. Shouldn't be an issue now that the car is not street driven... as long as I remember to disconnect it after every track day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts