MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I wait till my 1ZZ dies on me and then do it for the 2ZZ?

How much would it cost? So I don't over pay for the JOB

·
Registered
563 Posts
It is worth it. One of the best things I did with my 1ZZ. The shorter gears really take advantage of the 1's power range.

As for cost, the trans wil cost you anywhere between $200-800 depending on how resourceful you are ;)

The shaft and lockout are standard pricing no matter who is selling them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not worth the time, money or effort IMO, wait for a 2ZZ before going this route.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I bought my Spyder 4 years ago with the hopes it would die right before the swap it had 180+k and no sign of injury. My point is you could be waiting aloooong time. I wanted to keep my 5spd on my 2zz swap and put in the longer 5th gear. My justifcation is why pay more money for basically nothing. Then I found a Lotus motor and trans for 2800 shipped so I folded.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If you want a 6 speed get it, they bolt right to a 1zz and 2zz. I love my 6 spd and best thing I ever got basically. Especially if you do a lot of highway driving since it drops your RPMs. Best bang for buck if you get it with an LSD as well.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I would be interested in driving a 6sp before I made the decision. Currently I am happy with a normal 1zz and 5sp. Highway R's are up but accel is very good when wanted, I suspect the 2zz would be happier at even higher rpm. The 5sp fits my around town and twisty driving just fine. LSD is also something I am interested in. I have wondered about the MWR .730 final as an inbetween option. So far just free thoughts as I don't have any problems-knock on wood.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ok here's a more technical review:

The shift gates are tighter so you have to pay more attention to how you shift.

The shorter gears offer a better selection of gears as far as 2nd-3rd in a 5mt vs. 2nd-3rd-4th in a 6mt. This made a big difffeence to me as I hated being above the power range in 2nd or below it in 3rd when coming out of certian corners.

The LSD option speaks for itself

As for cruising speed in 6th, it's bearly a few RPM's lower but because of the shorter gearing you can run a higher rolling diameter tire and knock it down a bit more and not really effect acceleration.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
euro spec 6 sp 3.9:1 final drive= ~3100 rpm @80 mph vs 4000 rpm with the standard 5 sp. Unless you really need a replacement the 5 sp is perfect for a N/A Spyder. The euro spec 6 sp is a great match match with my 1zz turbo.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If you want a 6 speed get it, they bolt right to a 1zz and 2zz. I love my 6 spd and best thing I ever got basically. Especially if you do a lot of highway driving since it drops your RPMs. Best bang for buck if you get it with an LSD as well.

Absolutely in agreement here...it makes the Spyder a much better highway cruiser (if you're not on the highway much, then you can make a case for not spending the money for the swap- I did mine as Sammy Sandbag had a very low mileage C60 he was selling at a great price- it was $400 less than a new one from MWR- mine was $1995 shipped). For me, one of the best mods that I have done. By the way, I have the Eurospec 3.9:1 final drive with LSD. Gears 1-5 are basically the same as on the C56 5 speed, but there's a 700 rpm drop at highway speed in 6th at 65 mph (makes the Spyder quite a bit quieter - 65 mph = roughly 2700 rpm or so). I have a NA 1ZZ and find the acceleration to be more than adequate with the 6 speed.

I did read before buying that shifting can sometimes be a little tougher as with a gated shifter, but I'm running MT-90 in mine and shifts have been very smooth.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I personally love my 6-speed, I did get it while doing a 2zz swap but the reality is looking at dyno graphs a 1zz and 2zz are very similar in their power output untill just before the 2zz hits lift (2zz dips then goes bananas 1zz makes more power breifly and then has to shift shortly after). I had the same exahust on the car though and noticed no noise difference pre-lift, what I did notice was the lower rpm of the cruising speed. It sounds weird because its only a few hundred RPM but its a step in the right direction (I'm using a US spec box from iirc a Pontiac). I've read the reviews of others who put the 6-speed on a 1zz and each one says the car felt faster (expected) so in my mind its a win across the board putting one in.

That said when you're swapping the 2zz in doing the 6-speed at the same time saves a mountain of labor compared to doing them at separate times so I would say if you're handy with a wrench, have some time to kill, and enjoy working on your car (I know I do) it is definitely an upgrade, but if you're going to be paying someone else to do it or don't like getting your hands dirty I'd say just hold off for the full package.

As a note installing a short shifter and solid bushings made a significant change as well, regardless of the gearbox you choose I would highly recommend these upgrades.

-Spargo

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I personally love my 6-speed, I did get it while doing a 2zz swap but the reality is looking at dyno graphs a 1zz and 2zz are very similar in their power output untill just before the 2zz hits lift (2zz dips then goes bananas 1zz makes more power breifly and then has to shift shortly after). I had the same exahust on the car though and noticed no noise difference pre-lift, what I did notice was the lower rpm of the cruising speed. It sounds weird because its only a few hundred RPM but its a step in the right direction (I'm using a US spec box from iirc a Pontiac). I've read the reviews of others who put the 6-speed on a 1zz and each one says the car felt faster (expected) so in my mind its a win across the board putting one in.

That said when you're swapping the 2zz in doing the 6-speed at the same time saves a mountain of labor compared to doing them at separate times so I would say if you're handy with a wrench, have some time to kill, and enjoy working on your car (I know I do) it is definitely an upgrade, but if you're going to be paying someone else to do it or don't like getting your hands dirty I'd say just hold off for the full package.

As a note installing a short shifter and solid bushings made a significant change as well, regardless of the gearbox you choose I would highly recommend these upgrades.

-Spargo
Spargo

What short shifter kit and bushing kit did you go with?

·
Registered
563 Posts
yes how is this an advantage?
Not really a performance advantage but I prefer mine tighter than looser :lol:

OK I can understand this if you are racing.
I don't race mine, strictly street driving

I agree I love mine but strangely mine is in a 5sp??
Purchase and install of a quality (TRD/OS Giken/Cusco) LSD in a 5mt can be almost as much as a 6mt

exactly so in addition to the transmission you need new wheels and tires to get to the goal of a lower RPM at cruise. Seems like a 5th gear replacement here would be more cost effective.
No, you get a few hundred rpm drop without changing the wheel/tire combo but if you want more of a drop you can change the wheel/tire combo and not effect drivability. A 5th gear swap for a non-DIY guy can cost more than a set of tires ;)

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
For my own reasons, I'll be replacing my ailing 1zz with a newer 1zz, and plan on doing a 6 spd swap at the same time (as it'll be included)..

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
947 Posts
A C60 6 speed is beyond me why anyone would do this to a 1ZZ :confused:.

If you don't have a 2zz then don't bother, it's not like you'll benefit from it.

Get a Euro Spec if you want to drop your revs or a corolla final gear swap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts