MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving around last night a puddles of water ripped my diaper off. I know opinions are 50/50 on needing it and when i did my research i couldn't find anything recent. I want to know if anyone experienced any problems after removing it, especially those who removed it years ago.

This is what happens when your city has a poor drainage system :angry:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's not NEEDED, just a preference. Like heat shields.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I believe it's there for dirty engine bay reasons.

The snow ripped mine out over 5 years ago and I've tracked and autocrossed and generally "used" the car for the last 50k miles with no ill effect.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
I believe that you do unless the Toyota engineers just put it there for fun.
Toyota engineers did put it there just for fun at least one part of it as it was an option in Japan.

I believe the dipper's only function is for aesthetics and to protect the oil pan and filter from debris.

There have been so many that have removed it without any consequence.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Toyota engineers did put it there just for fun at least one part of it as it was an option in Japan.

I believe the dipper's only function is for aesthetics and to protect the oil pan and filter from debris.

There have been so many that have removed it without any consequence.
To add to dev's post, I left the diaper off for quite sometime because I was tired of always taking it off to get to the oil pan or do exhaust work. The only reason I am putting it back on, is looks. I do remember reading somewhere the diaper works a little bit like a diffuser. Whether there are any facts to support that, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A 80mph coyote corpse helped mine come off 60,000 miles ago. I didn't want to re-install it because it was made *gross*.

When you don't have a diaper you definitely need to keep your ass clean (e.g. the cat should be rust free).

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
It may function to create negative pressure in the engine compartment for lowering temps. Accounting departments are usually pretty tight causing compromises in design and building, generally speaking I doubt pieces are added to a car without reason. It could be for looks but I suspect not for the diapers. Since of humor for oil changes maybe.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
It may function to create negative pressure in the engine compartment for lowering temps. Accounting departments are usually pretty tight causing compromises in design and building, generally speaking I doubt pieces are added to a car without reason. It could be for looks but I suspect not for the diapers. Since of humor for oil changes maybe.
Actually it was found out by a good friend of mine that had an oil temp gauge that the diaper increased oil temps quiet a bit. After removing it, it has a substantial decrease on oil temps.

I believe this it the very reason the Elise needs two oil coolers.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
not exactly

The diapers are protective and you can go without them if you wish. the front one has a vent that helps carry air up into the engine bay and out the vents in the deckled.

I have the read diaper on but the front off because I am lazy and hate taking it off every time I go under the car.

Heat shields keep heat IN the exhaust system. the hotter the exhaust the better it will flow out of the car. Also the hotter your CAT the better it will work. So there is some performance issues to consider. Most people think they are for your protection -they are not.
To add to that the heat shields are very important because they reduce the hot air circulating in the engine bay.

Too often people here want everyone to see their shinny header and at the same time complain about engine bay temps not understanding how important the exhaust shielding is.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I imagine they could improve airflow under the car.

But then again, I sometimes imagine having a billionaire supermodel girlfriend.

Imagine that.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
i took mine off when i did the precats a few weeks ago but never got around to putting them back on... i think that if you don't drive the car in harsh weather, you should be okay with the diapers off as it is meant to keep debris/dust/dirt out of the engine bay... i will get around to putting them back on again once i get them cleaned up, personally i think it looks a bit cleaner all buttoned up... i know some people prefer the 'raw' look instead...

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Well for what ever reason I have the rear piece off because I don't want to cut it around the CHE dual exhaust.

What where the oil temps before and after?

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
Well for what ever reason I have the rear piece off because I don't want to cut it around the CHE dual exhaust.

What where the oil temps before and after?
I don't recall it was a long time ago back in 2005 when I had that conversation.
I can validate that person to reliable with information so I don't doubt it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was actually debating on removing it or not the other day, but I guess mother nature help with the decision. I am just wondering if it being removed could be the cause for future problems down the road, if so does anyone have experience with the beatrush under panel?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
not exactly

The diapers are protective and you can go without them if you wish. the front one has a vent that helps carry air up into the engine bay and out the vents in the deckled.

I have the rear diaper on but the front off because I am lazy and hate taking it off every time I go under the car.

Heat shields keep heat IN the exhaust system. the hotter the exhaust the better it will flow out of the car. Also the hotter your CAT the better it will work. So there is some performance issues to consider. Most people think they are for your protection -they are not.
very true.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Pasted from the beatrush website..."With years of experience in motor sports, Laile; which manufactures, brands, and operates Beatrush; has collected sufficient data information on the tracks of Japan to produce high quality and functional products...Eliminates parachute effect, provides better aerodynamics, and increases cooling efficiency on motor...Vertical blades & open vents to properly direct air & cool motor. "

Suppose the plastic diaper provides any of the same benefits?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts