MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my way to school i noticed that my car wasn't driving like it should. When i would shift gears the rpms would stay up for about a second or two and then finally drop back down, like it wasn't going into gear right away. The rpms seemed to be 2500-5000 higher than normal, especially in fifth gear on the freeway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Based on the limited information its hard to say, helpful information would be:

Manual transmission or SMT

Any unusual burning smells

Mileage on the car

2500-5000 higher than normal, especially in fifth gear on the freeway.
Do you mean 5000 RPM higher?? is the car surging also? My guess (this is only a guess) is your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2001 with about 89xxx miles, I didn't notice any unusual smells, and it has a manual transmission. Oh and I meant to say 250-500 rmp. Sorry I'm in class right now so I wrote this a little fast.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
90K on original clutch is about the right time to expect it to wear out. It may act better when its cold. If it does the over-rev thing again I'd get a repair shop lined up. You can keep driving as long as it doesn't slip - let it completely engage before you get on the gas, watch carefully for clutch slipping at highway speeds.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
That's when mine started slipping (92k ish) and I had it replaced at around 95k. You can baby it and drive with a feather throttle for a while, but eventually erosion will prevail. ACT HDSS is a great alternative to stock for it's perfect balance of aggressive grip, ease of pedal feel, and forgiveness.

AVOID FIDANZA imho.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
My clutch went about the 100k mile mark, so that could very well be the problem.

Like cyclehead said, when the clutch is cold, it is less likely to slip. If the clutch is slipping, it'll more likely do it in 4th or 5th gear. Drive the car for a bit to get everything warm and up to operating temp, then on an open, dry road, floor it in fifth while running about 50mph. If the RPM's increase before the speedometer start moving, replace the clutch. While in there, look for hotspots on the flywheel, if there are any, get it resurfaced. Resurfacing a flywheel is cheaper than replacement and will work just as well if it's the first clutch job.

If the problem was hydraulic, the clutch wouldn't disengage completely and it would cause different symptoms. My money is on the clutch.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
If you take your spyder out on the highway driving in 4th or 5th steady speed then punch the throttle and the engine revs up but the speed doesn't increase then it is clutch time. You may also park the car some safe place put it in first gear with the foot brake firmly applied, rev to 3k or so and let the clutch out while still on the brake. The engine should stall quickly with a good clutch. Just another test for clutch slipping but the first indication is what you are currently experiencing. Clutch life is highly dependent on type and style of driving as well as the car and type of clutch in it. YMMV. An OEM replacement would be my first choice. My experience using Toyota parts has always been right the first time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you take your spyder out on the highway driving in 4th or 5th steady speed then punch the throttle and the engine revs up but the speed doesn't increase then it is clutch time. You may also park the car some safe place put it in first gear with the foot brake firmly applied, rev to 3k or so and let the clutch out while still on the brake. The engine should stall quickly with a good clutch. Just another test for clutch slipping but the first indication is what you are currently experiencing. Clutch life is highly dependent on type and style of driving as well as the car and type of clutch in it. YMMV. An OEM replacement would be my first choice. My experience using Toyota parts has always been right the first time.
How can you have a foot on the brake, clutch and the accelerator at the same time??? You got a third leg?? :unsure:

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
How can you have a foot on the brake, clutch and the accelerator at the same time??? You got a third leg?? :unsure:
YES!

Actually heel and toe does the trick but the clutch usually has more wear if this test shows anything. I usually notice clutch slipping on the highway in a high gear first.

·
Registered
354 Posts
YES!

Actually heel and toe does the trick but the clutch usually has more wear if this test shows anything. I usually notice clutch slipping on the highway in a high gear first.
Sometimes I forget how much of a noob I am in Stick shift Transmission. useful trick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.