MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you accept a brand new wheel with this sort of defect?

There are other defects, like what appears to be grinding residue under the paint, but they are all in places that do not show. Note that the other spokes, not shown in the picture, have a well formed cut out in the back of the spoke that is roughly the same depth from end to end, though some of them do have a little bit of minor irregular raised aluminum material. The face of the wheel looks pretty nice.

Tire Rack says it is normal, acceptable, and perfectly strong to have the issue pictured above. This is a wheel they market for track use. I know a thing or two about this area. Those dots are porosity in the casting. Before painting, material appears to have been ground down to remove an obvious void on the surface. Tire Rack claims that no grinding was done, and the spoke is thicker than the others not thinner, therefore it is stronger. I've measured it now, and it is thinner than the adjacent spokes by a little tiny bit, and those are thinner than the spokes on the opposite side by a little tiny bit.

I guess I feel like part of the reason gravity cast wheels are less expensive and heavier is that they can possibly have porosity or casting defects, but the bubbles should be internal to the structure of the wheel, where they have the least structural impact (for the same reason that the most efficient way to save weight on rod stock is to make it tubular).

I am pretty sure this wheel would hold up just fine on a car as light as the spyder, but the wheel is marked "500 kg" max load. Would this sort of defect, and/or the inaccurate explanation they gave piss you off? Am I over reacting? Would this sort of defect make you look elsewhere when buying on the used market?

And perhaps my most important question, for those of you with 6UL wheels, does the back side look anything like this on any of them?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
As far as it being acceptable- I find minor imperfections like that on the back of rotas all the time. First time I've seen it on a kosei. Maybe shoot them an email at [email protected] (the en is for english.)

As far as the 6UL's go, they're the nicest cast wheel this side of enkei. I've used some loaners from friends and now own a set that was manufactured about a year ago. Their quality has only gotten better too- better heat treating and a low pressure casting system. The only thing I feel is suffering is their paint finish.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have to wonder if that is how they balanced the wheel, by removing metal from that spoke.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The Kosei that I just got had some minor imperfections in them too. But after a spin in the rain at El Toro which results in an off pavement visiting the mud, rocks and cabbage patch, they have many other imperfections in them now too. Autocross wheels are way too difficult to keep clean, unless you not going fast. :) I will say if the 949 15x8 were in stock I would have ordered those. If I needed the 15x9 I would have order those from 949 too. The finish on the 949 rims, and the clean up after hitting cones is easy and they still look fairly new. I feel the 15x9 was too big for a 195 Toyo rain setup.

·
Registered
758 Posts
the 949 wheels are of higher quality than that of what you posted

personally I don't care about paint and finish, but things like you posted above which affect strength and are important to me, and in my opinion the 949 wheels are much better in this respect

i have not seen that type of porosity on the 949 wheels as you have shown above

the owner/designer of 949 racing (emilio cervantes) is an engineer, is involved/does the fea design work on the 949 line of wheels and loves motorsports (sounds like you two have a bit in common)

i would return that set of wheels, and go to 949 - you will get a better wheel, with real engineering behind it, and in turn support the motorsports community

remember no one was offering a 15x9, and there where very few 15x8's until emilio proved that there was a market for affordable track wheels in this size, tire rack and others soon followed suit

·
Registered
7,120 Posts

personally I don't care about paint and finish, but things like you posted above which affect strength and are important to me, and in my opinion the 949 wheels are much better in this respect

the owner/designer of 949 racing (emilio cervantes) is an engineer, is involved/does the fea design work on the 949 line of wheels and loves motorsports (sounds like you two have a bit in common)

i would return that set of wheels, and go to 949 - you will get a better wheel, with real engineering behind it, and in turn support the motorsports community

remember no one was offering a 15x9, and there where very few 15x8's until emilio proved that there was a market for affordable track wheels in this size, tire rack and others soon followed suit
This. Emilio makes a good wheel, and is pleasant to do business with. I'll be using 949 wheels until my needs take me to wheel size they don't make.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would be scared knowing I had those defects in my wheels. As you probably all ready know the area where the porosity is, is the weekest part of your wheel. Those holes you see come from shitty castings. In most cases if you find porosity in a casting you are likely to find a sand pocket in your material as well and if thats the case things could get real ugly fast. Is it just one wheel or are they all like that?

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
If it is the backside, I wouldn't worry about it unless there were globs of metal that may effect balance. Cosmetic on the backside isn't a major issue.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If it is the backside, I wouldn't worry about it unless there were globs of metal that may effect balance. Cosmetic on the backside isn't a major issue.
I would think those non major cometic issues that are seen on the backside of his wheel are what would compramise the structural integrity of the metal.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Gravity cast type of wheels are the worst. No one should buy them because of their high porosity property. You will be surprised to know that even high-end wheel manufacturers such as Advan use gravity casting in some of their wheels.

I too am using the 949 6UL wheels. Low pressure and heat treated and overall well-made. Perfect blend for price and quality.

Now, only if the tire manufacturers offer a 235/45/15 or 245/40/15 street tire with longevity for the 15x10...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
That's great that they took it back and gave you a full refund.

Looking at the picture again I wonder if the raised part is not extra weight/material that can be removed to balance the rim. Kind of like a built in adjustable wheel weight.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's great that they took it back and gave you a full refund.

Looking at the picture again I wonder if the raised part is not extra weight/material that can be removed to balance the rim. Kind of like a built in adjustable wheel weight.
Are you thinking that elongated oval-ish part is raised? That would make your statement above make sense to me, but it is not raised. The back of the spoke is shaped (very roughly speaking) like an I-beam. The missing material is in the flange of the "I-Beam" and the porosity is in the flange and web of the "I-Beam".

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The consensus has been that 949 wheels have better quality control, so I've ordered a set of theirs. Emilio has talked about using consultants of some sort to do finalized solid edge drawings and FEA based on his engine torque, corner weight, and likely impact scenarios. I may well be wrong, but I don't think Emilio is an engineer, just somebody who understands the importance of proper engineering in pre-production, and QA in production.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahh, ok that is messed up. So they probably had some sand missing from the mold in that area.
they might have had some extra sand somewhere it shouldn't have been... I think it was a simple air void in the casting, which would be ok in the interior of the metal, but it showed on the surface so they just ground the surface away until it didn't show anymore.

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
Emilio's 949 racing team is comprised of engineers
No really. Mostly amatuer miata drivers that can drive. Emilio does know how to setup a car and is one of the best drivers I have ever met.

I bought a set of 15x9 TR wheels to run on my car. I will probably try and fit the 275 slicks in the future on these wheels for now they will run 225 front and 235 rear r888s.

I have a set of Kosie K1 15x7 kosie wheels for 205/225 tires. I don't really see the kind of imperfections on these wheels as seen above.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts