MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

So, I haven't posted here in ages because my 2003 SMT has been running great! But, over the last year the gear shifter has gotten stickier and stickier and now it won't work to shift up and down anymore. The SMT still shifts perfectly with the buttons. After reading some threads it sounds like the mechanism can get worn and finally fail. I've seen entire shifting assemblies sell for around $500, but everything else in the assembly seems good. Is this the proper part to replace?

Thanks everyone!
-duncan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consider it done, my friend! You want to send me a PM with details for payment, shipping, etc? Once again... i very much appreciate it. I know these cars are getting more rare abd i refuse to let this one decline under my ownership! It only has 64k miles.

·
Registered
2003 Blue Mica SMT
82 Posts
Hi everyone

So, I haven't posted here in ages because my 2003 SMT has been running great! But, over the last year the gear shifter has gotten stickier and stickier and now it won't work to shift up and down anymore. The SMT still shifts perfectly with the buttons. After reading some threads it sounds like the mechanism can get worn and finally fail. I've seen entire shifting assemblies sell for around $500, but everything else in the assembly seems good. Is this the proper part to replace?

Thanks everyone!
-duncan
I think I had the same problem as you. Is it hard to up/downshift with the lever? Does it feel like the lever doesn't want to budge? I was able to fix it by taking apart the entire assembly and spraying wd-40 from underneath. Worked like brand new right after. Original post: SMT: Lever hard to shift

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You’re right, with op’s low miles it shouldn’t be worn out! Maybe just goopy grease dried out.
I agree. I was going to ask the mileage. That’s a great price though if the OP needs one.
I’ve been using the steering wheel buttons a lot more now since the shifter assembly is so expensive. Maybe I should reconsider since I have more shifter assemblies than steering wheel buttons?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts