MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting my experience with this mod primarily because I've been holding off on doing appearance mods to my Spyder for fear of the potential difficulty involved. In this case it was replacing the stock "cowboy hat" wheelcaps with the JDM "screaming chicken".

From what I've read in other threads, the best way to replace the wheel caps was to take the wheel off, and pop the caps from behind. That of course would have taken almost and hour and maybe more. Another alternative presented was to use a screwdriver to pry the caps off, but there was the risk of damaging the wheel finish and the cap itself as you pry it off. Here's my experience. Apologies if this is self-evident to other Spyder owners - it wasn't to me. And maybe this will be useful for other owners in the same position as myself.

Use a flat-head screwdriver to carefully slip the flat tip against the edge of the wheel cap. So that the wheel finish is not damaged, lever the shaft of the screwdriver against a lug nut, and then pry the stock cap out. The amount of force involved is less than that of opening a can of tuna.


Take your "screaming chicken wheel cap and snap it into place


I cant believe the amount of trepidation I had for a 5 minute mod!

Now for the front emblem..

Grab a pitcher of hot water, and slowly empty half of it on the "cowboy hat"


Using dental floss, slip it from the left side and "floss" between the bumper and the badge until you meet firm resistance around the middle portion of the badge - that would be the peg holes



Now do the right side



At this point you should be easily able to pry off the badge with very little effort


As I did not have Goo-B-Gone, I used the flats of my fingers and the rest of the hot water to rub off the remaining adhesive. Try not to use nails



Once clean, some people take the additional step of polishing off the discoloration. I decided mine was too faint to need to do that. It's now ready for the "screaming chicken" badge.


Dry the surface. Remove the adhesive from the back of the badge, and slip it into the peg holes, and press firmly


Mod complete! Elapsed time, 15 minutes (mostly from rubbing off adhesive) - the discoloration from the cowboy hat badge was later rubbed off using a light dab of "scratch remover"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Taikonaut
Looks good, I think the Blue matches well with the Silver.

PS. You have lots of frunk gap =(
re: color -
I think so too! It looks a lot more "elegant" now, and not ricey at all!
re: frunk gap -
Ouch! I was thinking about that. Need to summon up some more courage for that mod.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
706 Posts
Looks really sharp. The only suggestion I have is to get all the adhesive remnants off using polishing compound or whatever before affixing the new badge.

You did good, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
I was fortunate enough to do the JDM nose badge early enough in my car's existence that there was no residue and the OEM badge came off very easily.

As for the wheel caps, another thing people have done to protect the wheels is wrap the tip of the screwdriver in electrical tape or something before prying off the OEM ones. I guess that's a good idea if you have really shaky hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
BAH!!! I wouldnt do the screwdriver against the rim. Take the extra time to take off the wheels and poke out the centercap from behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Originally posted by broudie+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Taikonaut
Looks good, I think the Blue matches well with the Silver.

PS. You have lots of frunk gap =(
re: color -
I think so too! It looks a lot more "elegant" now, and not ricey at all!
re: frunk gap -
Ouch! I was thinking about that. Need to summon up some more courage for that mod.[/b]
broudie, can you post the link where you got the nose emblem? i'm a noob here and can't find anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Originally posted by broudie+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broudie)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Taikonaut
Looks good, I think the Blue matches well with the Silver.

PS. You have lots of frunk gap =(
re: color -
I think so too! It looks a lot more "elegant" now, and not ricey at all!
re: frunk gap -
Ouch! I was thinking about that. Need to summon up some more courage for that mod.[/b]

Great color.... Great Job! Now I really have to make up my mine.. these or 8ballers.
Thanks for the superb effort!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
When I took my cowboy hat off, even after i cleaned off all the gunk, there was still a raised outline where it used to be, Like paint, dunno. I ended having it sanded down and my 2 front license plate holes filled and the whole bumper repainted.

My rear MR2 spyder badges also have the raised paint... I'm just goning to leave them be.

Anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by dr_ky
When I took my cowboy hat off, even after i cleaned off all the gunk, there was still a raised outline where it used to be, Like paint, dunno. I ended having it sanded down and my 2 front license plate holes filled and the whole bumper repainted.

My rear MR2 spyder badges also have the raised paint... I'm just goning to leave them be.

Anyone else have this problem?
That is so very strange. The only think I can think of is that the car was repainted before, and the badges were put on again before the paint had completely "cured".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by dr_ky
I was afraid of that, But not really, the paint is very good, no imperfections at all. If it was repainted, it was expensive.
Maybe it happened in the factory? Rush job, slapped on the badges while paint was not fully dried?

How were Spyders built anyway? At 25,000 units, What sort of factory automation do you set up for a run as small as that?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top