MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do SMT's exhibit jerky launches with lightened flywheels? Or can we expect similar launches to a stock flywheel?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jerky sorted

Just had HPU and accumulator replaced. I had jerky takeaway but ok driving, like kangaroo petrol. Info on forum suggest accumulator from BMW 6 series brake can be used, toyota only sell the complete HPU for lots of money.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i can't speak for smt's but if you do have a lightened flywheel for stickshift, you will have to rev it a bit higher as it does have some jerkiness.

the jerkiness usually goes away once you know how to drive it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You need perform a relearn couple times in order to stop that.If not your going to break your fork like I did.I was running fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I have the same questions as OP. My clutch is getting weak (SMT), so I'm trying to plan the parts I want. I have stock 1zz with no plans for engine mods. I would enjoy quicker shifts but I don't want to give up any durability or lose any smooth clutch engagement. Is anyone running Findanza light-weight flywheel on an SMT? If so, does stock pressure plate work best with light flywheel? Is the light flywheel hard on rod bearings?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have the same questions as OP. My clutch is getting weak (SMT), so I'm trying to plan the parts I want. I have stock 1zz with no plans for engine mods. I would enjoy quicker shifts but I don't want to give up any durability or lose any smooth clutch engagement. Is anyone running Findanza light-weight flywheel on an SMT? If so, does stock pressure plate work best with light flywheel? Is the light flywheel hard on rod bearings?
That's exactly what I have (fidanza with stock). The only downside I have felt is a slight jerkyness at low speed cruising (like 20-35 mph range) no matter what gear I'm in. You can definitely feel the clutch engaging and disengaging at those speeds. It's not a head-jerk strength, just a little pull, not enough to label it 'undesirable'. Most of the time I'm accelerating and decelerating in that range anyway, only times I cruise at that is in school zones so it's pretty much a non-issue to me. As far as rod bearings, no clue.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Does the lighter flywheel make shifting quicker? Jerking at slow road speed is odd. I would have expected the loss of flywheel effect to hurt low rpm smoothness. Do you suppose it's the mass of the car setting up harmonics with the (lighter) flywheel ie: not enough energy in the flywheel to offset the car's weight?
Also, does the engine rev up faster for downshifts?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It's quicker, not as much of a difference as the aps mod since I'm not a 'lifter'. I think the jerkyness may be some sort conflict of having a drive system that's faster than the GSU now (as opposed to the GSU waiting for it to match, i thinks it's gotten faster than the GSU operates)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts