MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 manual. And when I start in 1st and then 2nd the car jerks ever so slightly like when you're going 5 mph in 1st. Idk if that helps you understand. It doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping or there's a broken tooth so i don't know.

Any help/suggestions/opinions would be great. This is my first manual so it could just be my driving ;)

When I start in first (e.g. from a stop sign) I rev the engine to around 1000-1500 while engaging the clutch slowly (probably 2 seconds to fully engaged) And then 1 second when shifting to higher gears. Am i doing it right?

Thanks,
Ross

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
...When I start in first (e.g. from a stop sign) I rev the engine to around 1000-1500 while engaging the clutch slowly (probably 2 seconds to fully engaged) And then 1 second when shifting to higher gears. Am i doing it right? ...
That sounds like good shifting practice to me. If you release the clutch suddenly at the end of the stroke, it might jerk a little. Get a friend who is comfortable with a clutch to drive your car, and ride along. See if it acts the same.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are you guys talking about the feeling of lost power right as you get back on the throttle in 2nd, almost like a misfire?

That feeling is finally gone after I installed my new 6spd + lightweight flywheel. The 1st-2nd ratios are the same, so maybe the lighter flywheel lessened the resistance so it bogs down a little less between shifts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.