MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's that time of year -- when the leaves begin to change color, the air becomes crisp, and the ROAR of 100+ Toyota MR2's fill the twisty, windy roads of the lower Hudson Valley!

What: The Joe Pearlstein Memorial Bear Mountain MR2/Celica All-Trac Meet 2011 (Official WebSite: North East MR2 | Bear Mountain 2011)
When: Saturday, 22 October 2011. Meet at the starting point @ 9am SHARP!
Where: Sheraton Crossroads (1 International Boulevard - Mahwah, New Jersey 07495) -- 40 minutes from NYC

This is a FREE event -- consisting of a ~75 mile scenic drive through Harriman State Park and Storm King State Park, a show & shine event with trophies and prizes, and the opportunity to meet plenty of other Toyota MR2 / Celica AllTrac owners and fans.

This meet is an annual event first held in 1997 by Toyota MR2 owner Joe Pearlstein. At first, Joe invited a handful of his friends with Toyota MR2's who also appreciated his love for photography and the fall foilage by driving through the twisty roads of the Catskill mountains. Joe passed away several years ago, and the event has since become a memorial for Joe. We try to make it bigger and better every year.

Last year's event drew more than 100 vehicles!

Note: Due to the anticipated turnout for this event ONLY MR2s and Celica All-Tracs will be allowed to join the groups on the scenic drive.

POTENTIAL SPONSORS: If any vendors would like to get involved with this event, please contact me if I haven't already sent you an email.

Hotel Information:

Group Rate info for the Super 8 in Mahwah to be provided soon.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
FAQ:

What is the meet for?
The Joe Pearlstein Memorial Bear Mountain Meet is an event that was started by Joe Pearlstein in 1997 with a handful of MR2s. Since his passing, the event has become a memorial event to honor Joe. Joe was keen on spirited driving, enjoying the fall foliage, and photography.

Why should I come?
Because it is the largest MR2 meet in the Northeast. Expect to see over 100 MR2’s!!!

What happens at the Joe Pearlstein Memorial Bear Mountain Meet?
The Bear Mountain meet is a mix of a car show and a scenic drive. We meet at the Sheraton Crossroads in NJ. We take a drive through some very spirited back roads. We then take a break at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area on the Palisades Interstate Parkway for lunch as well as have a Show & Shine event that is judged by the owners! There is also a prize ceremony held after the judging has commenced. At this point, we take a scenic drive over some more spirited roads and make our way to the top of Bear Mountain. We will watch the sun set here and then head to our final destination for dinner back near the Sheraton Crossroads.

Who is invited?
Anyone who is in an MR2 or Celica AllTrac! All participants must be in an MR2 or Alltrac for the scenic drive portion of the event. Due to the anticipated turnout, we can not allow other platforms to join the groups. This will be STRICTLY enforced. With 100+ cars, it becomes very difficult to organize various platforms.

How much does it cost?
NOTHING! Not including the purchase price of your MR2 or Celica Alltrac.

What time should I be at the Sheraton Crossroads?
Be ready to go at the Sheraton at 9:00am!

What should I bring with me?
Bring a full tank of gas and a mechanically sound MR2 or AllTrac. We don’t want any breakdowns so please make sure your vehicle is up to par. You will also need money for breakfast and lunch or you may bring food from home. You may also want to bring an FRS/GMRS two-way radio to be in contact with the other participants.

Please note that the Joe Pearlstein Memorial Bear Mountain Meet is conducted on public streets. All local traffic laws must be followed. The JPMBMM 2011 staff does not take responsibility nor is liable for any and all motor-vehicle incidences. This is a Rally, not a Race; please drive carefully.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hotel Group Rate:

Super 8 in Mahwah (160 State Route 17 South; Mahwah, NJ 07430).

Room Type - Discount Rate ("Best Available" rate w/cancellation up to 4pm on day of arrival)
--------------------------------------------------------------
1 Queen Bed - $60.00/night + tax ($69.99/night + tax)
1 King Bed - $70.00/night + tax ($79.99/night + tax)
2 Double Beds - $80.00/night + tax ($89.99/night + tax)

Call the hotel directly (201) 512-0800 and ask for the "Northeast MR2 Owners Club" rate.

The hotel manager, Carrie, will be happy to accomodate any special requests. She can also be reached by email at [email protected].

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
[Name] - [Forum] - [Model & Year] - [Location]
---------------------------------------------
1. Blurvision - MR2OC.com - 92 MR2T - Tuxedo NY
2. IvyBoy/RPAltman - MR2.com/MR2oc.com - 2000 Spyder - Bedminster, NJ
3. Blue Bomber - MR2OC.com - 93 MR2T - FL
4. RockBaka - MR2OC.com - 92MR2T - Edison, NJ
5. Standingzen - MR2OC.com - 88MR2sc - Fairfield, CT
6. LTD36 - MR2OC.com - 91MR2T - Ledgewood, NJ
7. Ranpastrana - MR2OC.com - 94 Mr2 - Nutley, Nj
8. dvom - MR2OC.com - 93 mr2 turbo - Trumbull CT
9. The mr3 - MR2OC.com - 04 mr2 spyder- Plymouth Mtg, PA
10. BinaryDriver - MR2OC.com - 91 SW20- Ringoes, NJ
11. MRspeeder - MR2OC.com - 94T MR2 - Union, Nj
12. myklantnee - MR2OC.com - 91 MR2T - E. Northport LI
13. DaveMush - MR2OC.com - 91=>2001V6 Mr2 - Syracuse, NY
14. Ruphmr2 - MR2OC.com - spiehunter/bond MK1 - JRZ, NJ
15. NYmista2 - MR2OC.com - 91T - Rockland County, NY
16. Kisho710 - MR2OC.com - 94T - Burlington, VT
17. Brutekiller787 - MR2OC.com - Red st165 - Lima, OH
18. 9520G - MR2OC.com - 91MR2T
19. THEARCHITEK - MR2OC.com - 92MR2 - New Haven, CT
20. TheEngineer - MR2OC.com - 91T MR2 - Taunton,
21. Kouji - MR2OC.com - 91n/a - Swansea, SC
22. Illinimr2 - MR2OC.com - 91 turbo - enfield ct
23. WrenchswingeR - MR2OC.com - 91turbo - Rockaway,NJ
24. Deap9 - MR2OC.com - 93 Turbo - Utica NY
25. Dan91mr - MR2OC.com - 91 turbo - Woodbridge, NJ
26. CyanicCypher - MR2OC.com - 2003 Spyder - Madison, NJ
27. MR2ADUCK - MR2OC.com - 1986 MK1 Camillus, NY
28. EasyC - MR2OC.com - Lowell, MA
29. 3SGTEFAN4LIFE - MR2OC.com -
30. Kewandnotu - MR2OC.com - 1985 Silver MR2 - Stamford, CT
31. Foygroup - MR2.com/MR2OC.com - 91T GEN3 Swapped MR2 - Abingdon MD
32. rilieberman - MR2OC.com - 91 AARP - Benefiting from age
33. skidkidz - MR2OC.com - 91 gen3 - staten island NY!!
34. sundj01 - MR2OC.com - 02 Spyder - Long Island, NY
35. MR2Singh - MR2OC.com - 92 Turbo - Northern Virginia, VA
36. spyderguyny - SpyderChat - 3P0 Red '00 - Westchester, NY

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You know I'm gonna be there! ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I sure hope global warming kicks in this year. I am a definite maybe!
Oh stop with this maybe crap, you know you're coming! This is like the May 1st meet only with steroids. ;)

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Oh stop with this maybe crap, you know you're coming! This is like the May 1st meet only with steroids. ;)
Well it is easier being on a Saturday than a Sunday, however it is still 300 miles away and it isn't unusual for us to get snow that doesn't last that time of the year.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Unfortunately, we are unable to get a reserved parking lot in Highland Falls (West Point) that can accommodate 100+ cars, so we are considering alternatives.

[Post Redacted to Avoid Confusion]

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rich:
I will be there. I think the Anthony Wayne Rec parking lot is a good choice.
It may be possible to contact some hot dog trucks to attend since there will
be quite a bit of business for them.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I have never been to this event, but just an idea. Would it be possible to have the meet in the parking lot of the hotel where we are suppose to meet? Then do the ride? Big issue will be insurance. Or a school parking lot.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Unfortunately, we are unable to get a reserved parking lot in Highland Falls (West Point) that can accommodate 100+ cars, so we are considering alternatives.

The organizers are currently discussing using the parking lot at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Center, off the Palisades Interstate Parkway, for the show & shine, lunch, and awards ceremony. For those of you who attended the 10th Anniversary Meet last May, the Anthony Wayne Recreation Center is the huge (and generally un-used) parking lot where we signed the banner and took the group photo.

Unfortunately, there are no food vendors in the park or nearby. Participants will have to bring their own lunch. We're considering ordering a couple of 4' subs and beverages from a local deli, which will be delivered and set up in the parking lot. We expect to charge about $10/pp for 'all you can eat', with any proceeds above the cost going to the American Cancer Society.

What do you guys think?
$10 is fair for an “all you can eat” event. To keep it in order, I suggest we distribute paper bracelets to those who have paid so that you can easily identify them and avoid any mooching.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have never been to this event, but just an idea. Would it be possible to have the meet in the parking lot of the hotel where we are suppose to meet? Then do the ride? Big issue will be insurance. Or a school parking lot.
We considered having the Show & Shine at the Sheraton before heading out on the scenic drive. Historically, we never ask for formal permission from the hotel to host the start of the event there, but we've never had a problem with hotel management in the past.. most likely because we don't impede the flow of traffic to and from the hotel for very long at that time of the day.

We also considered using the Highland Falls High School parking lot, even though it's not quite big enough for 100+ cars and its about 1/2 of a mile back to Main Street. We've contacted the mayor to request the use of that lot but given the township's past behavior (i.e., promising us a dedicated lot prior to the event and then not following through on the day of the event), I don't want to risk the possibility they won't follow through again.

Rich:
I will be there. I think the Anthony Wayne Rec parking lot is a good choice.
It may be possible to contact some hot dog trucks to attend since there will
be quite a bit of business for them.
Just a thought.
We would definitely consider it, but we were told in the past that any commercial food vendors would need to obtain a permit from NYS Parks. Do you know any hot dog truck vendors that I could reach out to?

Another possibility that has come up is to eliminate the stop in Highland Falls and locate another parking lot in a retail area. One potential spot is the Harriman Commons shopping center off NY 17, which is only 3 miles from the route off US 6. There is plenty of parking and there is a Wendy's, KFC, Chili's and Outback Steakhouse at the complex. We've reached out to the manager to get their permission. More info to come.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Some suggestions I have mainly dealing with the drive aspect:

Alot of times I find myself frustratingly "stuck" behind someone who really, just wanna cruise and enjoy the surroundings. I'm not a tailgater but I'm sure this person is not having the best time with my exhaust snarling with every downshifts/upshift. How about we organize people into groups with different driving expectations?

If we can group people into say three different levels of expected driving, it would really make everyone's drive a more enjoyable one. Say A) Cruise, B ) Spirited, C) Spirited HP (higher hp car either swaps/forced induction who might want to stretch their legs on those nice straights). This way everyone knows what to expect and aren't caught up in a group thats going "too fast" or "too slow".

Also stopping at the top of bear mtn just doesn't seem like a good idea. All those cars combined with the itty bitty parking available just makes a jumbled mess.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts

Alot of times I find myself frustratingly "stuck" behind someone who really, just wanna cruise and enjoy the surroundings. I'm not a tailgater but I'm sure this person is not having the best time with my exhaust snarling with every downshifts/upshift. How about we organize people into groups with different driving expectations?

If we can group people into say three different levels of expected driving, it would really make everyone's drive a more enjoyable one. Say A) Cruise, B ) Spirited, C) Spirited HP (higher hp car either swaps/forced induction who might want to stretch their legs on those nice straights). This way everyone knows what to expect and aren't caught up in a group thats going "too fast" or "too slow".

Also stopping at the top of bear mtn just doesn't seem like a good idea. All those cars combined with the itty bitty parking available just makes a jumbled mess.
Or how about, those with radar detectors and those without radar detectors!

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
We considered having the Show & Shine at the Sheraton before heading out on the scenic drive. Historically, we never ask for formal permission from the hotel to host the start of the event there, but we've never had a problem with hotel management in the past.. most likely because we don't impede the flow of traffic to and from the hotel for very long at that time of the day.

We also considered using the Highland Falls High School parking lot, even though it's not quite big enough for 100+ cars and its about 1/2 of a mile back to Main Street. We've contacted the mayor to request the use of that lot but given the township's past behavior (i.e., promising us a dedicated lot prior to the event and then not following through on the day of the event), I don't want to risk the possibility they won't follow through again.

Again these are just thoughts. But there might want to be a plan B just incase the weather is bad.

Also just to clarify, ride first to the show area, or show cars first and then the ride?

We would definitely consider it, but we were told in the past that any commercial food vendors would need to obtain a permit from NYS Parks. Do you know any hot dog truck vendors that I could reach out to?

Another possibility that has come up is to eliminate the stop in Highland Falls and locate another parking lot in a retail area. One potential spot is the Harriman Commons shopping center off NY 17, which is only 3 miles from the route off US 6. There is plenty of parking and there is a Wendy's, KFC, Chili's and Outback Steakhouse at the complex. We've reached out to the manager to get their permission. More info to come.
Just a thought, is the a plan B if weather is bad?

And to clarify is the ride first and then the show, or is it show first and then the ride?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Remember, this is a rally, not a race, and is held on public roads. We don't condone or endorse speeding. That said, if you want to line up with people with similar driving styles at the Sheraton, you may enjoy the scenic drive more than in the past.

The viewing tower at the top of Perkins Memorial Drive is the traditional end of the meet. I agree the parking can be a mess, but remember there's one 'super secret' secondary parking lot past the viewing tower (to the right at the fork) with a lot of additional parking spots.

Just a thought, is the a plan B if weather is bad?

And to clarify is the ride first and then the show, or is it show first and then the ride?
In the event of rain on Saturday, Plan B is to postpone the event to Sunday. We're been very lucky in past years that the weather has cleared up by Saturday morning on Saturday even if the weather has been unfavorable on Friday. If the weather is bad all weekend, we'll have to come up with another date.

To clarify, the drive will be split up by the show & shine / raffle -- the location for that is still TBD. If we can locate a food vendor(s) willing to show up, we'll use the Anthony Wayne Rec Center where we took the group photo for the meet in May; if we can't locate a food vendor(s), we'll reach out to the Harriman Commons parking lot off US 6.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts