MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'll be getting back to the states in a week or so and I'm bored, so I figured I'd start a thread to document the modifications I'm going to make to my car... my very own progress thread.

The Low Down: I bought my '00 MR-S about half a year ago, but I deployed shortly afterwards so it's still mostly in the same sad shape as when I got it. The major problems being: cracked front lip, wheels that are too large, shoddy suspension, interior plastic chewed up from removing a stupid Ebay "carbon fiber" kit, worn top (including a progressively deteriorating tear above the window), ears and fogged headlights.

GOAL: Restore the car as close to stock (cosmetically) as possible/practical and then build up the suspension/bracing (coil overs, Corky bracing) and lastly give it some power (Turbo-Kits new turbo, anyone?).

10/10/10 -- This is a picture of it the day I bought it; it doesn't show most of the issues, but it's a baseline.

Modifications it came with:
TRD (knockoff?) Stage I Body Kit
Unknown Aftermarket Muffler
AEM Cold Air Intake
Shorty Antenna
*REMOVED* Aftermarket 18" Wheels

Thing I've done so far (as of 04/15/12):
JDM Badge
Stock wheels (both a summer set and a winter set)
K-Sport coil overs
*SOON* 2ZZ swap

Special thanks:
m&m1951 (JDM Badge)
rcntype (Stock wheels I used for my winter set)
zrxer (Stock wheels I am using for my summer set)
ThangCu35 (Some interior tidbits to replace the chewed up pieces)
Joe Schmoe (K-Sport coil overs)

Every other contributing member on these forums; the information I've been able to gather has been an invaluable asset in developing my current goals and making sure that I'll actually be able to achieve them!

Until my next update,

Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome home. Be safe.
Thanks a bunch! No matter where I go, it's always an awesome feeling coming back to America.

Looks good man keep it up.
Thanks Lo! Your wheels are on my car right now, but I didn't take any pictures before I deployed; it's already a huge improvement in ride and looks.

It's rare that we get genuine people who are willing to do what's right. :thumbsup:
Although I thought the after market rims did look alright, they just don't compare to the simplicity and class of the stock rims... that is so rare to get from the factory, so why ruin a good thing?

Hehe Yea I was glad when I saw that too. Good luck on the project! Fellow military here ;)
:biggthumpup:

·
Registered
23,148 Posts
Thanks a bunch! No matter where I go, it's always an awesome feeling coming back to America.

Although I thought the after market rims did look alright, they just don't compare to the simplicity and class of the stock rims... that is so rare to get from the factory, so why ruin a good thing?

:biggthumpup:
I agree but you know what would be great is if you start calling them wheels. :lol:

·
Registered
23,148 Posts
Wheels would be rims and tires... I think he is just referring to the actual Toyota rims. Which I have to agree 100% I love the stock look of them.
There is no such thing as Toyota rims. They are called wheels. A rim is part of a wheel and calling them rims is ricer terminology. If you could call wheels rims then you could also call wheels lug nuts and that would be silly. Tires are what goes over a wheel and in some cases some wheels don't have tires.
It is really gay to give your wheels pet names kind of like naming your fish.

·
Registered
23,148 Posts
I will accept that. Never really looked into it but you are right. Guess I'm a ricer ;)
It's not that you are a ricer. You have been cheated by the ricers into thinking they are called rims.
It's very much the same thing as some in the African American community that have been cheated by Ebonics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wheels would be rims and tires... I think he is just referring to the actual Toyota rims. Which I have to agree 100% I love the stock look of them.
It's not that you are a ricer. You have been cheated by the ricers into thinking they are called rims.
It's very much the same thing as some in the African American community that have been cheated by Ebonics.
I always thought along the same lines as sighface and I was only using rims to try and be more specific... but now I just feel dirty.

·
Registered
23,148 Posts
I always thought along the same lines as sighface and I was only using rims to try and be more specific... but now I just feel dirty.
Don't worry we all feel cheated. :lol:

The reason why I stress the right terminology is only so that our hobby that we love is taken seriously.
You have a great vision and I wish you well in you endeavors, thanks for your service to our country.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You have been cheated by the ricers into thinking they are called rims.
THIS will take some learning, because I am equally guilty for calling them rims. I like to try and learn at least one new "thing" a day, .... Dev has helped me with that many times over my 2 year tenure on SC

·
Registered
371 Posts
When did rims become ricer terminology? It was common in the sixties before the Japanese invasion and referred to pretty much custom wheels. Granted, it was slang then as it is now. I agree that using the correct term is important, it allows us to have intelligent discussions with minimal confusion.

·
Registered
23,148 Posts
When did rims become ricer terminology? It was common in the sixties before the Japanese invasion and referred to pretty much custom wheels. Granted, it was slang then as it is now. I agree that using the correct term is important, it allows us to have intelligent discussions with minimal confusion.
Everything ricers touch turns to garbage. They are the ruiner of all that is good in the world and it's the simple reason that their redundancy brought on by false science that get's so played out that it resonates vicariously in their abominations. They don't care about cars, motoring and enthusiasm, they only care about portraying them self as some kind of car guy to get bitches to like them and to make them selves seem like they are the bad boys that toil in oil and speed.
If I had two words to describe them I would say the are douchebag hacks of the automotive world with only one objective and that is to get bitches.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
*UPDATE* One of the previous owners installed some very low purple springs that were not very nice to my shocks (especially on these OK roads), and eventually led to rubbing and a crappy ride even with stock wheel/tire sizes. So from day number one, replacing those springs was one of my top priorities... I was going to install KYB shocks with Eibach springs, but then I saw some very nicely priced K-Sport coilovers that Joe Schmoe was selling so I went with those instead. So anyways, on Friday my buddy and I got down and dirty and installed them and so far I am very pleased!

I was going to put on the summer wheel set I bought from zrxer, but when I took one of the tires in to get a nail taken out and patched (which I knew was there before purchasing) they said it was too close to the sidewall so now I have to get two new tires (bummer!). Next on the docket, I have a new top and center console sitting in my kitchen... I can't wait to get those on!

Pictures will come tomorrow if I have a moment, I've been way more busy than I anticipated since getting back to the states.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Red rules.

good job on the restore. looks like you'll have her ready for the Razorback Run.
what's your itinerary? i'm meeting up with another OK SC member thursday. hope you can join us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.