MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read through the sticky. How much is the pre cat removal? Is it nessasary? Car has sat since 2013 in a garage in Phoenix AZ. It hasn't moved since. It's a 2002 SMG in perfect condition. The tires are gone. I'm having it towed in. This mechanic I'm not 100% on because they put two different treads on the car previously, they couldn't be bothered to find the two sizes with the same tread, but this is the closest mechanic. I topped up fluids and put in new battery. She fired right up. Mileage is 12,360. The price is $8,340 but will be negotiable after repairs at the mechanics. What should I expect? Fuel pump? Hoses, belts, tires (of course)? After the repairs it will need to make the drive back to Washington state. Mostly concerned about this pre cat I didn't know existed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve never had a problem with the previous-cat. Frankly, it’s a Toyota. You’ll be fine.
Mileage is amazing! I’m jealous. Any pictures yet?

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
8 Posts
First off Welcome to the club! 12K miles that's unreal!

I did the same as you and went here and read all about the precat... I'm planning on removing . Its more an issue if you race the engine 5-7 RPM lands for hours. You'll still beat emissions in Wa state gain HP... I'm leaning towards the CHE header for that stock look. (retains heat sheild)

Topping off the fluids is a good idea... better yet... Flush em. Oil, Transaxle, and radiator is what I worry about.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Read through the sticky. How much is the pre cat removal? Is it nessasary? Car has sat since 2013 in a garage in Phoenix AZ. It hasn't moved since. It's a 2002 SMG in perfect condition. The tires are gone. I'm having it towed in. This mechanic I'm not 100% on because they put two different treads on the car previously, they couldn't be bothered to find the two sizes with the same tread, but this is the closest mechanic. I topped up fluids and put in new battery. She fired right up. Mileage is 12,360. The price is $8,340 but will be negotiable after repairs at the mechanics. What should I expect? Fuel pump? Hoses, belts, tires (of course)? After the repairs it will need to make the drive back to Washington state. Mostly concerned about this pre cat I didn't know existed.
The least you should do is have the precats inspected by looking though the O2 sensor holes. If they are intact and you are sure that the engine is not using more that a quart every 1000 miles, and you are not going to drive the car very hard (auto-X or track events), then you could get by with leaving the precats as-is. See this: pre-cat failure – Roth Automotive Science

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know. Washington state doesn't require emissions on vehicles anymore. The mechanics I'll have flush everything. I have many photos.
20200831_142227.jpg
20200831_142233.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My previous love was my 95 Honda prelude si. But it needs massive body work, and the engine needs a rebuild. When I saw this I abandoned the idea of putting thousands into the prelude. As a 5, 9 woman it was a learning curve to get in and out without looking unnatural.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Your next problem will be the transmission Controls.. It's an SMT..

What you have there, is a Hydraulic Robot that does the Shifting and clutch work for you.. This 'System' can get picky, and just decide not to work out of the Blue.. Toyota knows NOTHING about these things except start replacing Expensive Obsolete parts until it starts working.. Some have even replaced all the controls and still be left with a NON Functioning car, and ~>3$ in repair bills.. Search and you will see..

My advice is do not purchase this car.. go find an 03 or newer ANY MILLAGE as long as its in good condition.. and a Manual tTansmission.

The '00 through 02 Spyders WILL BURN OIL before 200K milles.. No mater how many oil changes you do, or what type of oil you use..

The 03-05 are 'Immune' to the oil burning issue.. But ALL Smt's run the Risk of just Stopping, because of some sensor malfunction that is UN Diagnoseable..

Nice Car.. wish it was a Manual Transmission.. then I'd say go for it with confidence..

Cap

Reactions: WilcoMR-S

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The smt is not at all a deal breaker at this price point and mileage. It's at the mechanics now. They are going to take photos of the pre cats for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really weird actually. I wasn't in the market for a car. I came down here and my uncle tells me his neighbor, a 70 year old woman, has a mr2 she never drives and wants to get rid of. I talk to her, tell her I'm interested, we agree on a price, she is willing to take off price of repairs and new tires. That's a score. Normally I would inspect the car myself, but it's super hot here and I have no tools or my lift. So really, I just need to get it back to Washington. I was going to have it shipped but on short notice I can't find anyone. So I'll be driving it back. My every day driver is a 97 Honda Civic so this will be a nice upgrade in the summer considering the prelude is torn down to the block.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
97 Posts
It's really weird actually. I wasn't in the market for a car. I came down here and my uncle tells me his neighbor, a 70 year old woman, has a mr2 she never drives and wants to get rid of. I talk to her, tell her I'm interested, we agree on a price, she is willing to take off price of repairs and new tires. That's a score. Normally I would inspect the car myself, but it's super hot here and I have no tools or my lift. So really, I just need to get it back to Washington. I was going to have it shipped but on short notice I can't find anyone. So I'll be driving it back. My every day driver is a 97 Honda Civic so this will be a nice upgrade in the summer considering the prelude is torn down to the block.
Nice find, you really can't go too wrong on this one if it runs. To get it home instead of driving it you could rent a one-way U-Haul pickup truck and U-Haul car trailer and tow it home that way (I'd still get the tires etc since the seller has agreed to those expenses or negotiate a lower sale price and you take care of everything when you get home with it). Ones like this are extremely hard to find so I'd have bought it too if I'd been there. The tires definitely need to be replaced (mine had 12 yr old tires on it when I purchased it & it was harrowing to say the least driving it home on the interstate). Definitely get the oil, SMT fluid, transmission fluid, changed out due to the age of these. I wouldn't worry about the pre-cats until you get home because you'll have to do that yourself since no reputable shop will touch it to remove emissions components of the car. Worse case scenario the SMT dies (hopefully some time much, much later than now) and you swap to a manual- you'd still have a low mileage Spyder that appears to be in really great condition (maybe neglected/not enjoyed but not abused and it's been protected from the sun & elements in a garage). I'd be really excited if I'd found this one. Great find (y)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Buying cars from older folks usually results in a good deal, in my experience.

I drove my 88 CRX Si from LA to Atlanta when I moved to Georgia, and I've driven my Spyder all over the country... to California twice this year alone!

I love it on the highway, and cruise control is for wimps. I'd swap out the fluids, throw some fresh rubber on it and drive it home. If I'm you (which, in my mind right now, I am) I'd run west to the coast and take PCH all the way up. Stick to old route 1 wherever possible. Top down, the whole way - enjoy it.

You have the chance to do it right now. When will you have the chance to make a long coastal run like that again?

·
Registered
564 Posts
You will also want/need to change out the coolant. The procedure is quite different from the “normal” replacement, but not difficult. The Toyota shop manual details this work and there are some threads on this site that will help you with that as well. Cap Weir speaks for truth about the SMT. I had it in my ‘03, and it ran beautifully until it didn’t. At that point diagnoses was an ongoing(and expensive)heartache, and eventually I had the conversion done.
Welcome to the board, good luck, nice find!

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
97 Posts
Buying cars from older folks usually results in a good deal, in my experience.

I drove my 88 CRX Si from LA to Atlanta when I moved to Georgia, and I've driven my Spyder all over the country... to California twice this year alone!

I love it on the highway, and cruise control is for sissies. I'd swap out the fluids, throw some fresh rubber on it and drive it home. If I'm you (which, in my mind right now, I am) I'd run west to the coast and take PCH all the way up. Stick to old route 1 wherever possible. Top down, the whole way - enjoy it.

You have the chance to do it right now. When will you have the chance to make a long coastal run like that again?
Good point, I think I'd drive it home too with new tires, wiper blades, check brakes/calipers and fluids (and air filter- might find a nice little nest in there with it being parked so long- can change out the SMT fluid at the same time) but just take it easy since it hasn't been driven in so long. What was I thinking about a U-Haul, those should be saved for rollers :ROFLMAO: Put some 303 or some other conditioner on the top since it's probably pretty dry if it hasn't been detailed since 2013. This should hopefully prevent any cracks in the top when you put it down. Since you have the SMT, you have the cruise control for the highway if you wanted it. No judging here. Have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your Pre-Cats are fine for now. I would replace the manifold altogether with an eBay OBX manifold. They are cheap and will guarantee that you will avoid the Pre-Cat issue before it happens. Do fluid changes for almost everything since it's been sitting for so long. Change the tires and enjoy the ride home. In an SMT model, your left leg won't be die while sitting through traffic :) Nice find! and welcome to the club

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. I'll be here for a while yet, so hoping any issues will come up while driving it around town. Super excited.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got the call. The car was in perfect condition just needed rear struts. The fluids were good, but I had them to do an oil change anyway. And I got new tires the Yokohama v701. Anyway, barely 1300 bucks. Going to splurge and get it cleaned by hand.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts