MR2 SpyderChat banner

Just bought my 3rd spyder... Speaker issue

903 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  rcntype 
#1 ·
My girlfriend is jealous of this car. Not because I own it, she feels replaced. Lol, hopefully soon she well fall in love with it as well. Anyway onto the speaker issue... My tweeters work and my drivers side speaker works most of the time. My passenger side speaker has never worked. I've had this car for two days. I'm assuming it's wiring or the head unit, but I figured id ask you guys. It's a 2003 with 134xxx miles. any ideas?

#2 ·
WELCOME!!!

Sounds like it could be bad wires or bad connection some where. I would start there and if that doesnt solve it I have a set of factory speekers, tweeters and head unit for sale, cheap. All my factory stereo equipment was removed about a year after the car was purchased new and has been sitting in a box since. I planned to put all the factory stereo pieces back in if I ever wanted to sell my car or trade but since I totaled the car instead I will never need them again.

#9 ·
Personally i'm not a fan of the spyder stock radio, if your selling the miata soon I would use some of that money, or save something to the side for after market sound system. Do everything once, and then you won't have to worry about it again (hopefully). It would suck to open everything to find the only solution is to replace parts then you close it to open it again later; and then when it comes to replacements...doing all the work to replace stock with more stock to decide stock isn't good enough seems like more wasted effort. Especially if you end up wanting to put a better audio system in again. I would 1 in done. If you have any plans on replacing anything with more stock parts, or complete after market I would pause on opening it up today and chill until I had my new parts ready to install.

I may be biased, my cd player stopped working a few days ago, and listening to the radio is hell on earth <_< rather than fix or replace the head unit i'm replacing all the audio with aftermarket. One and done.

#10 ·
Well I would like to just be able to fix it if I were certain it was just loose wiring. I was hoping someone would recognize the problem from experience. neither speakers work anymore. they've worked twice in the last week, for 30 seconds to a minute. I feel like my speakers might just be dead. :/

#11 ·
The factory speakers are absolute crap--almost as bad as the head unit... throw it all in the garbage (don't bother with troubleshooting it, even if it works it still sounds like shit:)). If you want to retain a somewhat stock appearance, and put together a pretty decent system on an affordable budget; here is your course of action:

Go to www.clubxb.com or www.scionlife.com and buy a better-quality Scion by Pioneer head unit numbered T1807 or higher. They are a direct stock location replacement--no dash kit or wiring harness needed. Then order up a decent pair of component speakers with tweeters and install them in the stock location. It is EXTREMELY easy to pull the door panels on this car--IIRC, there are the bolts inside the door handle plastics, there are a couple covered by a little platic cap near the front of the door, and some screws where the door pull handle is... then you just lift the panel up out of the groove. The whole system could be swapped out in an hour if you just use the existing wiring. Just do it! Good luck!

#14 ·
Umm... it is about four screws per door. I could pull that panel faster than I posted the instructions for you. You have three options:

1. Pay some 18-year-old kid at Best Buy to do it.
2. Man up and roll up your sleeves.
3. Charge up your iPod.

It is really a very basic thing. If you are going to own and maintain a quirky little sports car you have to get over the learned helplessness thing and start tinkering:)

#15 ·
so after mateo's post i got down to it, took the door panels apart. the passenger side turned out to not even be plugged in, the driver side was blown, so i replaced the speaker on the driver side with the one in my miata, painted my door bezzels red, and a week later my tall friend was riding with me, his knee adjusted the bass to +5, the balance to L7, and proceeded to blow my speaker.... poor spyder. lol, thanks for the help guys, sorry for being so lazy, but i see why i held off, the previous owner put a slight crack in the driver door bezzel from the last removal im assuming, and i finished it... nothing a little gorilla glue can't fix ;]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.