MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Yeah well this is an internet forum and we're all Spyder owners curious to hear about what our cars can sell for. If I sell mine for a good (to me) price, then somebody had to buy it, right? I'll say what I sold for, why can't we say what we bought for?
That’s just me. I am more likely to share something like that here, or online in general, versus with my local friends and family. As you’ve said, it’s a car forum, so directly related. Semi-anonymity, I feel, makes a difference. Plus, we can can all ballpark prices pretty well here (with exception to the surprising outliers), so there's not much masking costs anyway.

If it were strangers in an unrelated setting, or like those family members, whose first thing is to ask how much it cost - I think that’s a little too much - certainly as an opener. Goes alongside of "how much do you make," I suppose.

As I said in the end, I’m curious too. It’s so clean, towards end of production, 6MT how can one not be? ;)

I've been told many times that I paid too much for my car. It was $15,800 from Carmax with 47k miles on it back in 2015. I've dumped another $10k into it as of 2022. I don't feel stupid about it at all. My wife's opinion varies.
Same. One of the aforementioned in-laws had one look at our 2000, asked what I paid, did not relent when I balked (and gave him maybe a semi stink-eye), and then in all of his sagely wisdom, crowed "I wouldn'a paid more than $2,000!!"

Guess that doesn't help my feelings re "the ask." 😅 But, whatevs, I don't feel stupid, either - different values (in various ways), different hobbies, different knowledge..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Excellentamundo! $17,200.
You got a good buy. Most of us would have paid that for your car. Since you came clean I will share some production data with you. Here is my 05 data of the 780 cars in 2005
Electric Green Mica 6r4 38 cars 14 smt 24 stick 19 tan 1 smt converted 1 total. You being a numbers guy take the 2004 data and use 2005 ratios and it is a pretty low production color and interior combination. 2621 2004 spyders. If yours has the limited slip option even better. Nice car. Very popular color combination. Most popular colors grey, blue black then green. But green lovers really love the green. Gray only offered in 2004 and 2005, only 23 in 2005.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You got a good buy. Most of us would have paid that for your car. Since you came clean I will share some production data with you. Here is my 05 data of the 780 cars in 2005
Electric Green Mica 6r4 38 cars 14 smt 24 stick 19 tan 1 smt converted 1 total. You being a numbers guy take the 2004 data and use 2005 ratios and it is a pretty low production color and interior combination. 2621 2004 spyders. If yours has the limited slip option even better. Nice car. Very popular color combination. Most popular colors grey, blue black then green. But green lovers really love the green. Gray only offered in 2004 and 2005, only 23 in 2005.
Thanks.The car is “98% showroom.”

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thanks.The car is “98% showroom.”
As the owner of a three quasi holy grail spyders and keeper of sales data for our cars, you now have a car that you can drive for free for a few years unlike 99% of all other cars. It is not a blue chip investment because the actual demand and increase in sales prices has not kept up with the other Japanese cars like turbo supras, s2000 and others. Four years ago a paradise blue 20k mile 2005 full option creampuff spyder sold for $15k. Now that same car would be $20-25tops. The one owner full option red 2005 stick with 12k miles on bring a trailer sold recently for $20k. Last year I bought my quasi holy grail 2005 phantom grey stick full option car with 40k miles for $17. Given that data you still got a good buy on your car. Drive the crap out of it and have fun.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I really don't understand the stigma(?) or whatever around asking prices of cars/parts or even asking how much people make. It literally helps everyone interested imo. Also life is short, why the hell not. Yes there is a time and place for everything but I thought this was the perfect place to ask that question and OP has obliged and we collectively have 1 more data point on this car and our cars in general.

ps - OP can we get some stock picks too? 😅

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I really don't understand the stigma(?) or whatever around asking prices of cars/parts or even asking how much people make. It literally helps everyone interested imo. Also life is short, why the hell not. Yes there is a time and place for everything but I thought this was the perfect place to ask that question and OP has obliged and we collectively have 1 more data point on this car and our cars in general.

ps - OP can we get some stock picks too? 😅
He stated the price $17,200 a great price for that car.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts