MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Scion FRS T1819 Installed (Part Numbers and Pics Added!)

And it's Awesome! Got the T1819 headunit off of an FR-S Forum and splurged on the necessary wiring and bt mic. If anyone needs the run down of what you need I can post it but the headunit, radio (HD even, with the factory antenna), CD, bt streaming (a2dp), and hands-free calling are all working flawlessly in my '01 Spyder. Didn't have to cut or solder a single wire. The mounts worked and the only "mod" needed was some double sided tape as a spacer so the trim ring around the radio fit snugly (as the OEM is 2din and the Scion is Din+).

Edit:

More Installed pictures HERE!

What works?
-Radio/HD Radio
-CD
-Bluetooth Hands-free Calling
-Bluetooth Audio Streaming (A2DP)​

What can work?
-USB/Aux 3.5mm input, Not Tested!​

What doesn't work?
-Nothing! :color_:​

Required for basic function (radio/cd only):
-Scion T1819 (found in (usdm) 2012 xB / 2012-2013 xD / 2012-2013 tC / 2012-2013 iQ / 2013 FR-S (per Scion). it is the "base" headunit.)
Going rate: ~$75-110, +/- $20 (used)
-OEM Scion Antenna Adapter, part number: PT546-00120-AD
Going Rate: ~$25 new from Carson Toyota​

Required for working Bluetooth calling and streaming:
-OEM Scion 20+8 Pin to 28 Pin Harness, part number: PT546-00120-CH
Going Rate: ~$30 new from Carson Toyota​
**Note: This exists only for you to have a place to plug the bluetooth mic into. the extra plug is for steering wheel controls that we won't be using.**
-OEM Scion iQ Bluetooth Mic Kit, part number: PT546-74120-MC
Going Rate: ~$50 from Carson Toyota​
**Note: yes you need the mic to stream via bluetooth. The headunit will not connect without it plugged in. **

Required for working USB/AUX (WILL REQUIRE CUTTING/Soldering!):
-OEM Scion USB/Aux Adapter Cable, part number: PT546-00120-US
Going Rate: ~$65-80, various sources
**Note: see THIS post from user sandiego92155 on soldering a USB extension cable to the adapter **

Tip: If you are going to be using both Bluetooth and the USB Aux functions, Toyota offers a bundle of 3 cables you will need, minus the Bluetooth microphone:
Part Number: PT546-00142 Bundle includes: PT546-00120-CH, PT546-00120-AD, and PT546-00120-US
Going Rate: ~$101 from Carson Toyota​

Headunit Documentation:
http://www.scion.com/manuals/nav_audio/#section=audio
Look for the one with the same years as I have listed. The forum's upload limit won't let me post the ~8mb of pdfs.

More info further down the thread!!

Reactions: Franky85

·
Registered
699 Posts
How is the sound improvement ? Did you change speakers too or leave it stock ? Yes, Pictures plz ! Thanks for sharing !

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pics and post up the Scion part #s.
Incoming, will post side-by-side comparisons of the OEM and the T1819 as well.

How is the sound improvement ? Did you change speakers too or leave it stock ? Yes, Pictures plz ! Thanks for sharing !
Major improvement in sound, though i'm still playing around will the various settings the headunit has. The rest of the system (including the speakers) are to my knowledge original.

An added benefit is that the T1819 has orange backlighting which nearly matches the dash, way better than the old green backlighting on the factory HU.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Installed pics

Here are the installed pics of the Scion T1819 headunit in my '01 MR-2 Spyder. This headunit was boosted out of a 2013 Scion FRS and was the "base" headunit.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Family car

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Center console Vehicle audio

^If you look at it head on you can glimpse the double sided 3M tape I used to keep the trim tight around the headunit.
**Also note the top left, where I have mounted the microphone for the bluetooth on a switch blank (minimal filing on the blank onlyneeded to get it to work. No complaints from callers thus far.**

Vehicle Car Center console Auto part Sedan

^there's a menu you can access by holding the volume button down with the hu "off" (but the key in the ON/ACC position) that lets you change the start up text.

The buttons and volume knob glow orange with the illumination on, and come very close to matching the main dash backlighting.

Here are the old and new headunit side-by-side:
Front:
Electronics Technology Electronic device Cd player Office equipment

Rear:
Technology Electronic device

I'm more than satisfied with this install, the headunit provides GREAT sound, a modest cost of entry (the new wiring harness and bluetooth mic cost me more than the headunit did lol), and near-stock appearance.

Pro-tip:
-Leave the Car-type to Tc (best sounding to my ears) and play around with the SSP settings, I prefer the "Hear" mode.

Edit: Updated OP with part numbers and notes. I'll try to post some pics of the actual harnesses and side-by-sides of the old/new HUs soon.
Edit2: Harness Pics and night shot added in new post, side-by-sides added to this one. Mic placement noted.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
PD - thanks for posting pics and part #s, so often the real info is overlooked :) With the cost of the unit and the cables, the unit is similar in function and cost to lower end aftermarket like JVC models. This unit probably has an edge on quality though since it is OEM.

Nicely done!

·
Registered
421 Posts
This writeup blows mine out of the water! :biggrin-new: Thanks for that shoutout and link to my thread. I have an 03 so I can't get my antenna to go up and down so I might get the shorty antenna. I agree the sound is phenomenal. When I settle into the new house I'll install an amp with MrsOnly's under-dash 8in sub enclosure. Are you adding an amp?

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,885 Posts
Great write-up. I have the same unit installed in my 2000. The predominantly orange lighting blends nicely with the dash color scheme of the Spyder. It is a good OEM+ upgrade and sounds much better than the 03 unit I removed. You can pick the HU up pretty cheap on EBay or the FT86 forum.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words guys :)
I spent enough time hunting through different threads on different forums and then hoping it would all work that I felt a single detailed post would be useful.

I don't intend on putting a sub in at this point but we all know how that goes, we'll see how much the lack of bass bothers me lol.

Here's a slightly blurry night-shot so you can see the color match for yourselves:
Speedometer Gauge Auto part Vehicle Car

Here are all the things you need to make it work, laid out:
(Knife optional but recommended)
Electronics Technology Electronic device Cd player Multimedia

All the wiring with the packaging removed:
Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Electronics

Bluetooth Mic kit unboxed:
(I used the black sticky tape, but pretty much nothing else)
Electronics Cable Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory

How everything (minus the USB cable) looks when plugged into the new HU.
(One harness from the car directly plugs in, the rest go in through the adapters)
Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device

#ihatetheuploadlimit

Previous posts have been edited to include details of the Microphone placement (I used the switch blank near the ignition cylinder) and side-by-side comparisions of the factory and scion headunits. Also added the scion headunit documentation.

·
Registered
421 Posts
**Also note the top left, where I have mounted the microphone for the bluetooth on a switch blank (minimal filing on the blank only needed to get it to work. No complaints from callers thus far.**
I put my mic on top the steering column. When the top is down and I'm doing 65mph, I can't hear the caller (for obvious reasons) but I was told by callers that they can hear me loud and clear with minimal to no wind noise.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put my mic on top the steering column. When the top is down and I'm doing 65mph, I can't hear the caller (for obvious reasons) but I was told by callers that they can hear me loud and clear with minimal to no wind noise.
I can always move it, but aesthetically I'm happier with it on the dash rather than as a tumor on the steering column where I can see it :p.
It's a big mic compared to aftermarket units.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This writeup blows mine out of the water! :biggrin-new: Thanks for that shoutout and link to my thread. I have an 03 so I can't get my antenna to go up and down so I might get the shorty antenna. I agree the sound is phenomenal. When I settle into the new house I'll install an amp with MrsOnly's under-dash 8in sub enclosure. Are you adding an amp?
You have to move the antenna trigger wire in the second connector.
I have a 04 with the 1814 and that was the trick. The trigger is there but on another pin usually.
I'll look into it and post back as I've been looking at this head unit for Bluetooth/hands free.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You have to move the antenna trigger wire in the second connector.
I have a 04 with the 1814 and that was the trick. The trigger is there but on another pin usually.
I'll look into it and post back as I've been looking at this head unit for Bluetooth/hands free.
Glad to hear there's a possible solution. Please post back when you find out wire color and the specifics on the second connector you're referring to. I'm in the middle of a move so I can't really get into my car at the moment. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PureDrifter, Nice write-up. Looks like something that I may do soon. You stated that you have the original speakers. How did you connect them? Another question that I have is if I don't have an Ipod, it looks like I don't need PT546-00120-US. Is that correct? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PureDrifter, Nice write-up. Looks like something that I may do soon. You stated that you have the original speakers. How did you connect them? Another question that I have is if I don't have an Ipod, it looks like I don't need PT546-00120-US. Is that correct? Thanks, Bob
The OEM spyder harness plugs into both the headunit and one of the adapter harnesses, hence the stock speakers work fine. You are correct in that if you do not need USB input then you can forgo the PT546-00120-US.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The problem that I may have is that a previous owner installed an aftermarket radio in the car. I'll' have to check to see if the original harness is still there. Since the T1819 has connections for front and rear speakers, does the harness just give you a connection to the tweeter and door speakers and ignore the rear speaker connection? Thanks, Bob

1 - 20 of 88 Posts