MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hey guys this is my first time on here and I had a question for anyone that might know. I see a lot of you upgrade to the PT546-00130. Does anyone know if you can upgrade to the PT546-00140 model?
If the plugs in the back are the same it should work, no way to know other than by trying it though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm in the middle of a basic form of this swap, but I have a question. I'm having difficulty removing the trim from around the original Spyder HU. Any tips?
Hondo I very lightly detached the clips around the HU. Be very gentle it might break. But when you attach it to the scion unit it is very loose gotta put some kind of filler. Personally it didn't bother me and I just left it loose as it was

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another spyder swapped with this headunit. Thanks again for the write up.

Anyone change out the speakers with other models or install rears to work with the headunit?

I am about to install hard dog roll bar and considering making a custom box that would house a small sub and some 6x9 soeakers in the rear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cheaper alternative for plug & play bluetooth & USB

Hi
Just wanted to chime in on my install I did. Didn't feel like spending the amount of money on the OE microphone so I found something a lot cheaper on ebay. Still plug and play. All I needed was the Harness that connects the back of the radio to the car and 2 others I found on ebay. Basically it gives me bluetooth, microphone and a usb cable. I posted the links below. Both of these plug directly into the back of the scion radio. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get a 3.5mm jack but with bluetooh I haven't really needed it at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MicroPhone-...650191?hash=item1ea4aa688f:g:e4wAAOSwp5JWVr5h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Audio-A...ash=item5d529d92ed:g:-tEAAOSwAL9Ufh8T&vxp=mtr

Be aware tho. The microphone comes from Australia so it took me like almost 3-4 weeks to receive it. But in the end it total costed me about... $34ish for both.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hi
Just wanted to chime in on my install I did. Didn't feel like spending the amount of money on the OE microphone so I found something a lot cheaper on ebay. Still plug and play. All I needed was the Harness that connects the back of the radio to the car and 2 others I found on ebay. Basically it gives me bluetooth, microphone and a usb cable. I posted the links below. Both of these plug directly into the back of the scion radio. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get a 3.5mm jack but with bluetooh I haven't really needed it at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MicroPhone-...650191?hash=item1ea4aa688f:g:e4wAAOSwp5JWVr5h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Audio-A...ash=item5d529d92ed:g:-tEAAOSwAL9Ufh8T&vxp=mtr

Be aware tho. The microphone comes from Australia so it took me like almost 3-4 weeks to receive it. But in the end it total costed me about... $34ish for both.
Good to know, though the OEM mic came with install accessories and such. I am curious as to how the voice quality on the $18 mic you picked up was for those you talk to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry for delayed reply. Was going to cut out a little hole in one of the little rectangle squares and figure out a way to mount the mic but never got around to it. As for the mic. Depending on where i place the mic theres no wind noise. Mostly tho i use it for the bluetooth connectivity to stream audio to the headunit.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
And just like that, poof! I have done the swap! :) pics to come tomorrow. I would have liked to connect the USB and aux connection, but the harness that came with the pack of 3 did not match up to the connector that I pulled from my FRS. I'm not sure if I left that behind the dash of the FRS when doing my HU install there or if it's somewhere in my garage or office or ... who knows. It was a long time ago.

Now I need to see if the head unit will control Pandora on an Android phone and not just iPhone. Maybe there is a firmware update?

Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration to do this swap.

EDIT:
Here are the pics...

View attachment 20249 View attachment 20257

BTW, the pic dialog would not let me paste my URL where I had these images stored. Oh well, spyderchat can serve them instead I suppose.

Also, no dice on this early model BeSPOKE head unit working with Android. Supposedly, the newer model unit 2014+ works with android, but not the one that came with mine from back in June 2012.

It's still an upgrade from the stock radio and I had it laying around already anyway. BT audio and phone support is still there though and it connects really fast!

Thanks again for the inspiration to do the swap.
So no problem getting the unit to fit? It looks like on ebay that they are greater in depth and there's not much room before hitting the duct work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the tips on secondary options. I picked up all the links you posted and the Harness and antenna adapter. I know you stated that the places where you placed the mic you got clear reception. What was the best place to put it in you opinion?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Can anyone link me to the radio owners manual? The link on here doesn't work anymore. Mostly what I want to know is: Are the RCA outputs for a sub?
Does anyone know if there's a balance or bass/ treble control on the 1819?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can anyone link me to the radio owners manual? The link on here doesn't work anymore. Mostly what I want to know is: Are the RCA outputs for a sub?
Does anyone know if there's a balance or bass/ treble control on the 1819?
I use the RCA jacks for a 6" Bazooka tube. Works great. You can find the balance and bass controls by pushing the volume button and scrolling through the options. There is even a sub woofer control when there is a sub connected and detected by the T1819 too.

I have a pdf of the T1819 owners manual. I'll try and make a downloadable link when I can.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Installed the T1819 today. I like it a lot so far. It looks good and sounds good. I'm impressed with all the functions and controls. It appears it even adjusts itself to the road noise. What doesn't it do?
All for a grand total of $58!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yup. Already got all of my adapters from Amazon. Ready to install this weekend if I can find the time. I'll probably add a 6" powered Bazooka like I did to my other MR2.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts