MR2 SpyderChat banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
Just wanted to chime in on my install I did. Didn't feel like spending the amount of money on the OE microphone so I found something a lot cheaper on ebay. Still plug and play. All I needed was the Harness that connects the back of the radio to the car and 2 others I found on ebay. Basically it gives me bluetooth, microphone and a usb cable. I posted the links below. Both of these plug directly into the back of the scion radio. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get a 3.5mm jack but with bluetooh I haven't really needed it at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MicroPhone-...650191?hash=item1ea4aa688f:g:e4wAAOSwp5JWVr5h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Audio-A...ash=item5d529d92ed:g:-tEAAOSwAL9Ufh8T&vxp=mtr

Be aware tho. The microphone comes from Australia so it took me like almost 3-4 weeks to receive it. But in the end it total costed me about... $34ish for both.

How did these harness work with the scion radio? I have the oem one but have the stupid power antenna problem that always goes up when the car is on and my button light on the radio is reversed :-/ so annoying.. Anybody got pointers?

·
Registered
33 Posts
How did these harness work with the scion radio? I have the oem one but have the stupid power antenna problem that always goes up when the car is on and my button light on the radio is reversed :-/ so annoying.. Anybody got pointers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Audio-A...ash=item5d529d92ed:g:-tEAAOSwAL9Ufh8T&vxp=mtr

This USB plug works great on the t1818!! I imagine will do so on the t1819 as well!! Kudos for finding this plug!! Nomore need for the oem mod :) now I patiently await the mic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all. I just installed this head unit this past weekend. Bought the harness kit and Bluetooth mic from this weksite (had the cheapest online prices for the items at the time of purchase)

www.midatlantictoyotaparts.com

Thank you all for your input. I also, I'm sure some of your know, but you can even customize the greeting one the head unit when it turns on with a hidden menu.

youtu.be/hySptLTHm3o

To access hidden menu, with the radio off, instead of pressing the power button, press and hold the center of the volume button. Head unit will turn on with more settings.

Hope this helps someone else, too.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it possible to bridge the 4 channels to 2? I'm debating whether getting this for a clean look or an Alpine unit. I'll be upgrading the door speakers so providing them with the most power is important, within reason as there is no room for a traditional amplifier.

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the writeup...will definitely be adding this mod on the to do list!
I did the T1818 install ...2 months ago?
Door speakers suck, get a good set of those. Up to you if you want to keep the door tweeters. I found music is tinny keeping them and installing 2ways
No factory amp (that I can tell), a small class d amp does wonders.
The T1818 does NOT support video in, so no rear camera ?

Bass shakers under the seat will give you the feeling that the speakers are bigger and can be powered off the other 2 channels of an amp.

Bluetooth streamed music quality is more annoying than the sound of a Spyder wearing flip flops. USB streamed music is much better.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Scion Pioneer radio

Got my eyes on a PT546-00120 that comes with OEM harness/cables. Can I use this harness or do I need to get the MR2 specific harness and antenna adapter? I will use the USB option but not Bluetooth.
Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread up from the grave but I just purchase a new to me 2003 mr2 spyder from a dealership. The previous owner at some point put in the Scion Pioneer headunit like the one from this manual.
http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/8364...cion/media/pdf/Pioneer_Audio_Owner_Manual.pdf
Everywhere I search, I do not see any mention on passcode if the car battery is disconnected (I know many cars audio do have this as a theft security) online or in the manual. I do not have any evidence of a passcode but not even sure if this headunit requires one when reconnecting/replacing a battery in the car? Any one with experience with this Scion Pioneer headunits care to share if they need passwords or passcode when they lose connection to the car battery?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread up from the grave but I just purchase a new to me 2003 mr2 spyder from a dealership. The previous owner at some point put in the Scion Pioneer headunit like the one from this manual.
http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/8364...cion/media/pdf/Pioneer_Audio_Owner_Manual.pdf
Everywhere I search, I do not see any mention on passcode if the car battery is disconnected (I know many cars audio do have this as a theft security) online or in the manual. I do not have any evidence of a passcode but not even sure if this headunit requires one when reconnecting/replacing a battery in the car? Any one with experience with this Scion Pioneer headunits care to share if they need passwords or passcode when they lose connection to the car battery?
I just purchased one of those HU brand new and it did not require any code when I powered it up. Hope that helps. I am looking for a cheaper alternative than the expensive harness/mic combo since it costs over $100 to get both and seems way to expensive IMHO for a 8-year old stereo. Looking to see if a frequency bluetooth receiver would work fine

·
Registered
52 Posts
Think this is definitely the way I will go with my spyder, to replace the junk aftermarket single din unit it came with. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to install since I don't have the oem radio, do you need the oem brackets for it to work or does the scion hu bolt right up? It's possible that I have the factory brackets on this head unit, I haven't take it apart to check. I plan on replacing the radio and speakers this winter while I have plenty of time. would like to have wireless CarPlay but for as little as I drive the car its not worth all the extra money imo, and I like how stock this looks.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts