MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2001 with 99k miles on it. A few weeks ago I started getting an outrageous rattle that sounded like a woodpecker in my exhaust line at a cold start. Through research through this VERY helpful forum I assumed it was a pre-cat problem. After 2 long days and hours of anguish on my part I got my new header installed, but at around 2500 rpm there's still a small rattle. Any idea as to what this might be? The ceramic in my pre-cat's looks almost completely intact, which worries me that it might be something else and this replacement might've been pointless.

tl;dr new header, still rattling, not really sure what's going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a possibility, my only wonder is why it's only on a cold engine. When I"m at full running temperature you would never know there's a problem. After doing some research on the pre-cat problem and hearing about the common loss in power I started to notice it, but that might've just been my paranoia kicking in.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Cold Engine Knock is Likely Worn Pistons.. Mine are Getting Loose.. Usually 'Slightly on the Throttle' cold it will have some Clicks and Bangs.. Warm it's fine..

Moderate Throttle Cold it does not Make Noise.. ( Except the Muffled Screems of the Cold Engine Coming to life )..

Mine is Sitting at 203K Miles.. and I've herd the Loose Pistoms from about 150 K or So..

I would not worry yet..

But I do have Engine Pieces ready to start working on for my Replacement engine.. It will go Sometime.. I just hope I'm ready.. and there is not a lot of Oil, Smoke and Debris involved in the Clean up, when it's time to change the Engine..

Already did a tranny at 175K Miles..

Cap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My money's on downpipe (main cat) heat shield rattle.
The friend of mine that was working on the car with me said that same thing. If that is the issue, how can I go about eliminating it?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Remove the heat sheild...it's bolted on. Though, I found one piece was welded on one of my downpipes. I bent it back and forth for a while and it finally gave up. You'll be left with a gap in the strap that holds the rear exhaust hanger because the shield is no longer there). You should bend, tweak, shim, whatever to the get that strap smaller and hold on to the cat coverter so it too wont make noise. I would NOT advise removing that exhaust hanger altogether.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe I have the same problem with my heat shields. It will only rattle between certain RPM ranges. It drives me nuts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts