MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
it took me and my friend 1.5 hours to do with a air gun. and we knew what we were doing though.
When you get it finished tell me if it's stiffer than stock I was thinking of doing the same. Hopefully the goods outweigh the bads

·
Registered
544 Posts
And is it on stock shocks?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have the Tein springs and they are noticeably stiffer than stock. While they work well with new struts (KYB GR 2) and don't overpower the damping, the biggest issues seem to be the reduced travel from lowering. On a smooth road, they don't feel any stiffer than my stock Mazdaspeed 3. But on rough roads, they don't soak up the bumps like stock, which is hardly surprising with the reduced travel.

Ground clearance is down to 5" at the front and only 4" at the rear lower brace I have, so speed bumps and driveways take some care.

One big positive however is greater stability at speed. Stock, the Spyder tended to wander a bit over 70 and felt like it it had front end areo lift, even with the stock little spoiler. Lowered (the front is now lower than the back), the car is rock solid well above 70. After the change, I found I had to watch my speed on expressways.:lol:

Overall, I haven't decided if I really like them. I haven't put on too many miles since they were installed (the car is in storage for winter). Maybe I will have different opinion in the spring when I can drive it more.

·
Registered
544 Posts
IAfter the change, I found I had to watch my speed on expressways.:lol:

Overall, I haven't decided if I really like them. I haven't put on too many miles since they were installed (the car is in storage for winter). Maybe I will have different opinion in the spring when I can drive it more.
I hear good things from the KYB. I'll be stock for around 3 months so I hope they don't give out on me. Where did you buy the KYB struts I hear they're a little cheaper than the stocks depending where you get them and also that you buy them buy part # and not by selecting your car then yr and so on.

·
Registered
544 Posts
well i have eibach springs, not tein. same install process. they are noticeably stiffer than stock springs.

Yes i am on stock shocks.
How long have you had them on all over this forum people have been saying lowering springs+ stocks struts= really short life span of the struts.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
How long have you had them on all over this forum people have been saying lowering springs+ stocks struts= really short life span of the struts.
Beware of what you read on the internet. While some seem to panic at the thought of stiffer springs on stock struts, real investigations don't show an dramatic reduction in life - unless the struts mechanically bottom. That should not happen unless you really shorten the bump stops. But I wouldn't suggest stiffer springs on worn out struts unless you like hopping down the road. New KYB's seem to have plenty of damping to cope with the stiffer springs.

Tein indicates the stock bump stops should be cut in 1/2, but I left mine stock. That means I will probably get into the bump stops a bit quicker, but I can live with that to be sure the strut won't bottom.

I am sure others will chime in with words of doom, but believe whatever you want.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Beware of what you read on the internet. While some seem to panic at the thought of stiffer springs on stock struts, real investigations don't show an dramatic reduction in life - unless the struts mechanically bottom. That should not happen unless you really shorten the bump stops. But I wouldn't suggest stiffer springs on worn out struts unless you like hopping down the road. New KYB's seem to have plenty of damping to cope with the stiffer springs.

Tein indicates the stock bump stops should be cut in 1/2, but I left mine stock. That means I will probably get into the bump stops a bit quicker, but I can live with that to be sure the strut won't bottom.

I am sure others will chime in with words of doom, but believe whatever you want.
Thanks I like to hear direct words from a person instead of the usual search. As we all know the search function is very "great". I'm going to try it out and see if I like it better or no I need a stiffer ride and I would love to see that Nast wheel gap decrease. Does it rub?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks I like to hear direct words from a person instead of the usual search. As we all know the search function is very "great". I'm going to try it out and see if I like it better or no I need a stiffer ride and I would love to see that Nast wheel gap decrease. Does it rub?
No rub, but I wouldn't expect any unless it rubs before lowering. Since the stock struts are still used, the wheels can't move anywhere they couldn't before lowering. Max travel is still bottomed, and in my case, that means stock bump stops.

Of course, if clearance was marginal before adding the springs because of a wheel or tire change, the fact the assemblies are going to be closer to full travel more often may bring out a problem not noticed previously. If the bump stops were cut, then the assemblies can travel further and that could be a problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm using 195/50/15 I think they might rub if they do I'll try messing around with the plastic

·
Registered
544 Posts
It was quick... it took me about 30 min per side
Yea when I got the car I swapped out all for springs and it was around that much per side I have the spring compressors so thats a +

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are these the s techs? I plan on getting some this spring, anyone know an optimal wheel diameter for closing the gap for front/rear? I think stock for 00-02 is 23 f/r and 23/23.5 for 03-05 but from what I've seen the front still leaves a bit of a gap.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Are these the s techs? I plan on getting some this spring, anyone know an optimal wheel diameter for closing the gap for front/rear? I think stock for 00-02 is 23 f/r and 23/23.5 for 03-05 but from what I've seen the front still leaves a bit of a gap.
I have S.Tech springs and they lower the front over 1 1/2 inches and the rear over 1". I didn't get them for looks, but for handling and think they look fine with stock dia wheel assemblies (23" on 2002). I don't have a picture as the car is in storage for the winter, but I wouldn't want to go lower on a car that is actually driven on real roads. Ground clearance is down to 5" which is pretty marginal.

If all you want to do is reduce the gap, get a cheap set of coil-overs and either reduce the ride height or drop the spring pre-load. The car may not be drivable on anything other than very smooth roads, but it will be low. You could go with larger diameter tires (18" wheels anyone?), but I think larger diameter tires often just look goofy on a otherwise stock Spyder

1 - 18 of 18 Posts