MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there forum members, thanks for having me. i just bought a manual 2001 Mr2 with 39,000 miles for $7,700. I will be mainly using for school and work. I wanted to know what you guys recommend as far as preventative maintenance goes. More specifically the precats and if you guys have a link for me
to check out (best bang for the buck would be great) As well as other things you guys recommend. thanks for reading and i hope you have a great day

·
Registered
633 Posts
Congrats on the spyder, looks great.

Best bang for the buck would be gutting them:
https://midshiprunabout.org/mk3/precat-removal/
A more expensive option would be an aftermarket header.

Grab an LT Shorty if you're missing the antenna (even if you aren't, these are cheap and look WAY better):
https://takubanmotorsports.com/product/lt-short-antenna/

Also, looks like you have rear mud guards, hard to tell from the photo but they don't look like the OEM guards.

Use the search function and read up on as much as you can. Plus there are quite a few maintenance videos on youtube. Check your oil frequently.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello there forum members, thanks for having me. i just bought a manual 2001 Mr2 with 39,000 miles for $7,700. I will be mainly using for school and work. I wanted to know what you guys recommend as far as preventative maintenance goes. More specifically the precats and if you guys have a link for me View attachment 73346 View attachment 73348 View attachment 73347 to check out (best bang for the buck would be great) As well as other things you guys recommend. thanks for reading and i hope you have a great day
Car looks GREAT! What state are you in? If it is CA you may be better off buying a cheap header or other gutted cats and keeping yours in case you need to pass an emissions certification later on. In any case do not delay taking action!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the spyder, looks great.

Best bang for the buck would be gutting them:
https://midshiprunabout.org/mk3/precat-removal/
A more expensive option would be an aftermarket header.

Grab an LT Shorty if you're missing the antenna (even if you aren't, these are cheap and look WAY better):
https://takubanmotorsports.com/product/lt-short-antenna/

Also, looks like you have rear mud guards, hard to tell from the photo but they don't look like the OEM guards.

Use the search function and read up on as much as you can. Plus there are quite a few maintenance videos on youtube. Check your oil frequently.
Thanks for the reply! i was thinking of going aftermarket on the headers since i dont want to mess with the asbestos inside the precats, any reccomendations?

yes i am missing the antennae and will surely get around to that link.

it does have the mud guards, good eye! and you might be right on them not being oem, they arent mentioned on the window sticker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car looks GREAT! What state are you in? If it is CA you may be better off buying a cheap header or other gutted cats and keeping yours in case you need to pass an emissions certification later on. In any case do not delay taking action!
will surely get to it asap! i live in illinois. do you think an aftermarket header with 2 obd ports will affect the emission results?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The best bang for the buck is gutting the oem header .... you maintain the fit and finish and it doesn't cost anything . I wouldn't want to breath the material you knock out but it's not asbestos . Couple new gaskets and you're good to go .

So where bouts in Illinois are you , I'm down by Bloomington .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do they pull the O2 sensors and check for precat material in CA?
Bought my 2001 MR2 in 2014, with the precats already removed.

It’s passed both CA emissions tests since then, no mention of the missing precat in either test.

Outstanding condition for being from Illinois!

Sure the previous owner didn’t already take care of the precats? It’s a well known flaw, would be surprised they weren’t already done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you owned an old, low-mileage car before? They can be “interesting”.

Check all the tire date codes. Last year, I got a 2003 MR2 which still had its original 2002 week 48 spare. No way would that be safe to use.

Replace all the belts. Change all the fluids and filters. At only 40k miles, it probably has the original brake fluid in it.

Be ready for some weird issues related to its sporadic use. I wouldn’t expect anything too serious, but you may have a few sensors go bad in rapid succession, or the like.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Bought my 2001 MR2 in 2014, with the precats already removed.

It’s passed both CA emissions tests since then, no mention of the missing precat in either test.

Outstanding condition for being from Illinois!

Sure the previous owner didn’t already take care of the precats? It’s a well known flaw, would be surprised they weren’t already done.
Didn't think so. Not sure why anyone would think you would fail with gutted cats, unless you lived next door to the DMV and weren't up to temp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice car. That car was bought new from a dealer pretty close to me. Got a Scion from Lombard Toyota a while back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply! i was thinking of going aftermarket on the headers since i dont want to mess with the asbestos inside the precats, any reccomendations?

yes i am missing the antennae and will surely get around to that link.

it does have the mud guards, good eye! and you might be right on them not being oem, they arent mentioned on the window sticker View attachment 73351
So kewl u actually have the original window sticker and a 39k car!!! Id put it in the middle of my living room as an art piece and never drive it! 🤣

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello there forum members, thanks for having me. i just bought a manual 2001 Mr2 with 39,000 miles for $7,700. I will be mainly using for school and work. I wanted to know what you guys recommend as far as preventative maintenance goes. More specifically the precats and if you guys have a link for me to check out (best bang for the buck would be great) As well as other things you guys recommend. thanks for reading and i hope you have a great day
Gutting the stock header is the cheapest, but you can also use a cheap eBay header. They are all basically the same. If you use a cheap header, get the Toyota manifold to head gasket. Since you have a 2001, updating the lower mounts to the newer 2003 and up cast mounts is a good idea as they reduce vibration and cracking on the cheap header can be an issue

Mount Part#
17119-22060
17118-22080
+ 2 bolts (not sure of size)

Gasket#
17173-0D020

The mounts and gasket will cost more than the header. I have used one of the cheap headers with the cast mounts for over 30,000 miles with no issues

·
Registered
87 Posts
I really like the white Mr. 2s. And yours looks awesome. I almost bought one several months ago and picked up my silver 05 instead. If I had picked up the white I’d put money back to eventually put on a tan top and install tan seats but that’s just for my taste. I’d keep an eye on oil consumption, the dipstick on these cars is truly hard to read so take your time. There was also a chance of piston ring problems due to out of round conditions from the factory. Not sure if sitting for some time would aggravate the issue so just be aware that it may (or may not) surface. Also when you have time clay bar the paint and wax the car, it super cleans the surface and the paint will pop. And of course...... enjoy the car and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got 2001 mr2 to great car I have had new brake system put in and am doing new suspension it as 108 000 miles but our car is old so you want to check these on yours my advice to you is spend the xtra money for quality parts its well worth it great car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts