MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I swapped after market intakes from cold air to short air intake. After everything is done, I go inside to start the car and the car wouldn't hold after start. Starter turns fine, Engine fires up like normal but than it doesn't hold but dies like it does when we twist the key to shut it down. I tried three times and it is not holding the start. What is causing that?

I may have put in the short intake backwards (cause it fits better) and that may be holding the Intake/MAF sensor backwards. would this cause the engine to do this?

THANKS

·
Registered
28 Posts
sounds more like a vacuum leak (big one) after the MAF. is everything tight and connected properly. did you leave a hose disconnected that was required for the factory intake that isn't used with the cold air?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Breakthrough Discovery

The 2003 MR2 Spyder does not start if the MAF/ Intake Temperature Sensor is put on backwards.

Also, cheap intake tubes have mismatched threads with the MAF/ Intake temperature sensor screws.

Thanks for the tips guys. Car is starting fine with the sensor in properly:lol:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What made you decide to go from a CAI to a short intake?
Due to the recent "heatwave", engine been sucking in warm air from outside (~115f on scanguage). I've notice that the engine ran smoother and gave slightly better MPG.

Why not make every day a warm day for da engine. Suck in warm air from the engine bay for better street performance and keep the engine bay slightly cooler.

Oh and the previous intake filter (AEM) is full of filth and muddy and all bent. Cleaning isn't easy cause its stuck upside down between the rear light/bumper and wheel. I am throwing it out!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't happen to me now that I've put the diaper back on...
I got the diaper on. I think the CAI has been on the car for a while and previous owners/dealers don't bother inspecting or cleaning it. The placement of the AEM intake isn't that great. Yes it is away from engine heat, but it is tucked in a corner and not much air flows through it. The mud seems to form on the dust collected by the filter and water dripping through it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.