MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 1787 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yah the K24 makes power but its head is pretty docile compared to the k20a head. A stock k24 block with 11:1 (OEM) pistons and a k20a head will make great power NA. I'm looking to get upwards of 250 with mine NA....but mine is far from stock at this point.

As far as it being a cheaper swap than a 2ZZ? haha I doubt it. You need the motor, trans, axles with honda inside splines and toyota outside splines, not to mention an intermediate shaft. Custom motor mounts, shifter cables and/or linkage, OEM honda PCM, wiring harness splicing, hondata, kpro. And dont forget the simple stiff like alternator, belt tensioner that fits, and if you want AC theres different ways of getting it done but I'm just leaving it out for now to save money. I'm just rambling at this point but there are more things that need to be adressed like intake and exhaust routing, sensors.

My point is it isn't a cheap swap to do compared to a 2ZZ where many of the 1ZZ parts (mainly the trans and axles) are interchangeable but it should be well worth it.

·
3,303 Posts
Yup, I've been looking at doing a K swap once I'm done with my SW20. No point in doing a head swap on the K24A2 motors, just build it up the way you want it. They will flow way more power than what most people are looking for with the ZZW chasis. You'll end up saving quite a bit of money that way, so you can spend it on important things like cams, and Kpro. :)

·
3,303 Posts
It definitely won't be cheaper, but it will make a crap ton more power and torque than a 2zz NA.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I didn't mean cheaper swap, just the engines are much cheaper.
But that Frankenstein swap is 5k so that's pretty winner.

·
3,303 Posts
yessir. The only reason I have such a crazy built motor I'm putting in is because it kind of fell into my hands....build thread is coming soon :eek:
Gotta like that! I wish a K series would fall into my hands, all I get are crappy Toyota motors. :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
I didn't mean cheaper swap, just the engines are much cheaper.
But that Frankenstein swap is 5k so that's pretty winner.
There are two very common misconceptions about k.
1) k20 head is always better than a k24 head. Wrong. K20a head is the best because of the oem hand port on them. K24a2 head, k20a2 head are nearly identical. Port these 3 and they are almost identical. K20a3 head isnt as good because it doesnt have VVL on both cams.

2) k24a2 > frankenstein. Usually a frank is a 9.7:1 shortblock and with the k20a2 head it is 10:1. K24a2 comes with stronger rods, better pistons 10.5:1, and piston oil squirters. And if you get an 06+ k24a2 you get high lift cams and oversized intake valves.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
from what i hear the k24a2 head has more material to work with so you can port bigger and thus flow better. I've also heard that the angle of entry on the head differs from that of the k20a, for better or for worse. I believe in its stock form the k20a head will flow slightly better than a k24a2 head but once you port it the point is moot. Also the k24a2's VTC only has 25 degrees of rotation whereas the k20a has 50. There are many other variables you can nitpick at but they are both great heads, if you can get an 06+ TSX motor complete just run it as is, no need to swap heads IMO

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is what I have.

from rywire (asking about swap harness)

"Hi, I would need a mr2 engine harness sent in to complete the job."
"About 400 should cover it. The ecu will still have obd2 functionality. I do not know about the dash, as long as its not can it should work. Worst case a resistor will need to be added for tach signal."

from ppeengineering (asking about header)

"Hi Vasilis,
We have been talking with Brandon at Mitch’s auto parts about doing one, but we haven’t gotten the car yet so I can’t tell you when they will be available or pricing."

from hybrid-racing (asking about mounts, swap harness, shift linkage, axles)

"We offer the conversion engine mounts and the universal K series conversion wiring harness.
I can also get axles as well, but I will need dimensions from you once the engine is mounted into the car."
"The mounts are $499, the conversion harness is $349.
The prices do not include shipping. Please give me your shipping address and I can give you a total."

Innovative never answered my email and hasport said they are not making any swap items. I heard rcrew is making a shifter linkage but haven't found how to contact them.
RYwire is one of the places I was going to call tomorrow. I'm trying to find someone that can give me some answers.
I'm really wanting to find someone that will be willing to help us out. I think once this part is solved the Kswap will be more popular.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Talked to innovative yesterday, they have linkage done. Monday my car goes back to Sportcar motion and the transplant will start.
Drew are you going to be doing the engine swap your self or have them do it? He said as of right now they was just test fitting the engine and no wiring has been done.
I was wondering because your one of two people that I know is doing this swap and can supply us information.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Drew are you going to be doing the engine swap your self or have them do it? He said as of right now they was just test fitting the engine and no wiring has been done.
I was wondering because your one of two people that I know is doing this swap and can supply us information.
What wiring are you talking about?

They are doing it. This was initially going to be a few week process because LIV initially made "mounts and axles" that were ready to be shipped etc and Loi at Sportcar Motion talked to Rywire to make the P&P harness so all they had to do was fab up intake, exhaust, and fuel basically. The engine they are putting in my car was initially going to be in a time attack car but they got sponsored by Greddy to turn the EG civic it was going into to a FWD drag car. Then the mounts that were ready to be shipped and done actually weren't and LIV was apparently remaking them to be better. 6 weeks passed and that was when Loi was talking to people about the swap and found the Drive Shaft Shop was the place making the axles, even for LIV, and innovative said they have wanted to do the mounts but they never had anyones car. So after my car was dropped off March 8th, 2012 at Sportcar Motion it was then taken to Innovative I think around May or June, possibly later. Now it is ready to be brought back to SCM with the mounts and linkage ready but they went to the Tuner shootout in AZ to back one of their sponsored cars and then of course other stuff has come up so hopefully it will be picked up tomorrow from innovative. Apparently the same people that make the Hytech exhaust are also making my header and exhaust.

They also had an Elise dropped off for a engine swap shortly after mine and the innovative mounts were off 1/2 an inch on the passenger side so they brought the elise back to innovative for a few months and they remade those mounts as well. I think they finished the elise swap in a 2-3 weeks after getting it back from innovative.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What wiring are you talking about?

They are doing it. This was initially going to be a few week process because LIV initially made "mounts and axles" that were ready to be shipped etc and Loi at Sportcar Motion talked to Rywire to make the P&P harness so all they had to do was fab up intake, exhaust, and fuel basically. The engine they are putting in my car was initially going to be in a time attack car but they got sponsored by Greddy to turn the EG civic it was going into to a FWD drag car. Then the mounts that were ready to be shipped and done actually weren't and LIV was apparently remaking them to be better. 6 weeks passed and that was when Loi was talking to people about the swap and found the Drive Shaft Shop was the place making the axles, even for LIV, and innovative said they have wanted to do the mounts but they never had anyones car. So after my car was dropped off March 8th, 2012 at Sportcar Motion it was then taken to Innovative I think around May or June, possibly later. Now it is ready to be brought back to SCM with the mounts and linkage ready but they went to the Tuner shootout in AZ to back one of their sponsored cars and then of course other stuff has come up so hopefully it will be picked up tomorrow from innovative. Apparently the same people that make the Hytech exhaust are also making my header and exhaust.

They also had an Elise dropped off for a engine swap shortly after mine and the innovative mounts were off 1/2 an inch on the passenger side so they brought the elise back to innovative for a few months and they remade those mounts as well. I think they finished the elise swap in a 2-3 weeks after getting it back from innovative.
So have you personally talked to rywire?
I also was wondering if they needed the car to build the jumper or if they was working on it separate.
I have gotten lined up on an engine amd trans. Once I get this wiring stuff straightened out ill be placeing orders.
Thanks drew for trying to help.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
So have you personally talked to rywire?
I also was wondering if they needed the car to build the jumper or if they was working on it separate.
I have gotten lined up on an engine amd trans. Once I get this wiring stuff straightened out ill be placeing orders.
Thanks drew for trying to help.
They personally took my car up to Rywire so he could get all the connectors figured out so it would be completely P&P afaik but Loi at Sportcar Motion did all the communication. Rywire builds a ton of stuff for them since they do the most K swaps I know of, basically put a K into every car that comes in. Have you tried calling Rywire? I do know that they make swap harnesses outright without the need for a donor harness but I won't know for sure ti'll I get my car back.

·
Registered
698 Posts
K Swap Guide?

Just throwing this out there. I'm not a Honda know it all but, I have learned a thing or two while doing another swap.

I am not s Spyder know it all either but, the Spyder does not have "CAN" or its not labeled "CANH & CANL" but this car does have it or seething close to it called multiplex.

Ill get out of this sandbox and go back to play in my own now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just throwing this out there. I'm not a Honda know it all but, I have learned a thing or two while doing another swap.

I am not s Spyder know it all either but, the Spyder does not have "CAN" or its not labeled "CANH & CANL" but this car does have it or seething close to it called multiplex.

Ill get out of this sandbox and go back to play in my own now.
I almost wish it just had can. There is many solutions for honda kseries to can bus adapters because of the lotus guys. Im going to try and get more info from rywire and also I was told that there are more kswaps going on over seas than here so im trying get ahold of them through varius fourms.

·
Registered
802 Posts
There is an option in Kpro to use a Lotus multiplexer. I am pretty sure that would be damn near the same as the toyota since I assume they share the same ECU as Toyota in the 2zz lotus

·
Registered
698 Posts
K Swap Guide?

There is an option in Kpro to use a Lotus multiplexer. I am pretty sure that would be damn near the same as the toyota since I assume they share the same ECU as Toyota in the 2zz lotus
They share very little the lotus T4 ecu has been hacked from what I found.

Not try to be a nay sayer and don't want to play in someone else sandbox. I will pass on information promised in a pm though. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
They share very little the lotus T4 ecu has been hacked from what I found.

Not try to be a nay sayer and don't want to play in someone else sandbox. I will pass on information promised in a pm though. :)
Yeah your right. I dont see any nay saying. There are problems with the swap and they need addressed. Thats what I am doing and bring the information out for others to use.

I talked to David over at hybrid racing about what I knew and what has been said. He cleared up what he 100% about and now im working from there.
With both seem to have the same opinion that the stock ecu will need to stay in the car for it make the car function. Now as to if we can feed the speed signal and tach signal straight to the cluster or if it needs to be routed throught the ECU is where we was both in the dark about.

I am talking with a few people and waiting for replys.

Im also thinking about getting the engine and running and driving then send it down to hybrid racing so they can fab a jumper to the car. If I can get all the cabin interface wiring figured out. Ill drive down there and see if they can use mine as a blueprint.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
You doing great work man, keep it up. Seems like its almost there!! Also thanks for putting the info on here.

I'm assuming axles will cost comparable to the lotus axles on Innovative's site ($799)?

Hopefully wiring wont be too bad/cost much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You doing great work man, keep it up. Seems like its almost there!! Also thanks for putting the info on here.

I'm assuming axles will cost comparable to the lotus axles on Innovative's site ($799)?

Hopefully wiring wont be too bad/cost much.
As of right now there is no price but talking to Tim at Innovative he says they are sure they will be at or lower than the lotus axels.

They are still working on them but since the toyota parts are considerably cheaper to obtain he thinks the axels can't be more than 799$. The main cost for the lotus axels was they couldn't by CV joints they have to make their own.

I also had a hour talk with David at hybridracing and he was receptive of the idea of doing the swap and offered his help. He said they actually was wanting to do it before but due to lack of interest by customers they gave up on it.

They are also not to far from me so If I can pull off getting the thing running I could ship it down for him to look at bridging the cabin and engine harnesses.

21 - 40 of 1787 Posts
About this Discussion
1.8K Replies
108 Participants
BottledFedMR2
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing