MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 60 of 1787 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
As of right now there is no price but talking to Tim at Innovative he says they are sure they will be at or lower than the lotus axels.

They are still working on them but since the toyota parts are considerably cheaper to obtain he thinks the axels can't be more than 799$. The main cost for the lotus axels was they couldn't by CV joints they have to make their own.

I also had a hour talk with David at hybridracing and he was receptive of the idea of doing the swap and offered his help. He said they actually was wanting to do it before but due to lack of interest by customers they gave up on it.

They are also not to far from me so If I can pull off getting the thing running I could ship it down for him to look at bridging the cabin and engine harnesses.
I talked to Tim as well, trying to get some info on how much power the axles could handle. I didnt get much out of him :( Maybe I will go with DriveshaftShop instead for some 2.9 equivalents. See if you can get some info on construction material for the CV's and OR how much power they are rated for OR if they come with a warranty.

I sheared an axle off at the splines of the hub on civic already. Went with DSS 2.9's

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I talked to Tim as well, trying to get some info on how much power the axles could handle. I didnt get much out of him :( Maybe I will go with DriveshaftShop instead for some 2.9 equivalents. See if you can get some info on construction material for the CV's and OR how much power they are rated for OR if they come with a warranty.

I sheared an axle off at the splines of the hub on civic already. Went with DSS 2.9's
When I talked to Tim he said their lotus axel was able to hold 600hp and the spyder would be comparable.
I am unable to speak for him but that was what I took away.

·
Registered
802 Posts
When I talked to Tim he said their lotus axel was able to hold 600hp and the spyder would be comparable.
I am unable to speak for him but that was what I took away.

If that is the case im placing my order ASAP. That is what ive been waiting on to save on shipping

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Group buy of 5 for better deal? Might be worth it for them and show there's decent interest to get wiring done faster? Just throwing it out there.
Im up for group buy. I have cash in hand. If there are 4 more with money and are serious ill call andmsee if we can get a group buy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Iam using custom drivshaft shop axels for my swap, rated to about 600whp, but it was little bit more pricey, 999usd for them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Group buy of 5 for better deal? Might be worth it for them and show there's decent interest to get wiring done faster? Just throwing it out there.
I might be in for a group buy...I've been researching K swaps for a while now and I'm thinking it's about time to start gathering the parts, especially if it's a limited time offer where I can save money.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I might be in for a group buy...I've been researching K swaps for a while now and I'm thinking it's about time to start gathering the parts, especially if it's a limited time offer where I can save money.
Can people PM me if your serious about group buy. Ill add names to front of the thread and call innovative when I get 5.

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Can people PM me if your serious about group buy. Ill add names to front of the thread and call innovative when I get 5.
Now that I think about it, I'm also tempted to hold out to see what BottleFed's swap will look like and cost. I'm not a great mechanic and I don't have a garage right now, so that might be the easiest, best, most cost-effective method of getting a K in my car. I would also have more time to save up the money because his plans are being delayed by parts and his time.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
I was also really contemplating Bottlefed's swap sale. It does seem like a great price but there were a few things that stuck out.

Shipping your car to him and back (or drive there/fly there drive back) makes the price only ok.

One main concern is maintenance of the swapped car. Whatever he does to swap, you have no real idea what is what because you weren't there. Its the same with installing your own turbo kit or anything complex. And I highly doubt he'll give you a detailed list. So when something breaks or an electronic feature stops working your sol on diagnosing ESPECIALLY if your not mechanically inclined.

I'm not sure if he mentioned but what happens to your motor that was swapped out? Does he buy it or what? I guess you can have him put it on a pallet and ship it back to you but then that makes the price worst again.

Lastly if any of the swap parts that he himself got made, are there spares for you in the future?

Just my .02

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now that I think about it, I'm also tempted to hold out to see what BottleFed's swap will look like and cost. I'm not a great mechanic and I don't have a garage right now, so that might be the easiest, best, most cost-effective method of getting a K in my car. I would also have more time to save up the money because his plans are being delayed by parts and his time.
I pm'd him the other day. All of his slots are filled.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Life has been a bit crazy. I talked to UVA the other day. To supply him with my .02 worth of thoughts and pass on any info that could help.

Keep in mind I am not an expert just want to see people have fun. Like I keep saying ill try to play in my own sand box.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Life has been a bit crazy. I talked to UVA the other day. To supply him with my .02 worth of thoughts and pass on any info that could help.

Keep in mind I am not an expert just want to see people have fun. Like I keep saying ill try to play in my own sand box.
Should just post whatever concerns you have, no nay saying, just a legit issue that might come up.

I mean the swap has been done probably a dozen or so times already so there is a way that you can definitely get the swap done. Not sure how ikrana did it but there is a shop that will be doing my swap so ill see what they end up doing exactly. The shop also put a K in a lotus a few months ago, did a k crz swap, k eg, k EK, k db8, etc the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Should just post whatever concerns you have, no nay saying, just a legit issue that might come up.

I mean the swap has been done probably a dozen or so times already so there is a way that you can definitely get the swap done. Not sure how ikrana did it but there is a shop that will be doing my swap so ill see what they end up doing exactly. The shop also put a K in a lotus a few months ago, did a k crz swap, k eg, k EK, k db8, etc the list goes on and on.
Im doing the swap myself. Wiring is the least of my issues. If need be I will buy an oscilloscope and figure everything out as I am an Instrument Tech. If I cant get the Spyder dash to work O well. I will get an aftermarket one. Not using A/C.

Sure the 2zz is easier. But for 30% increase in displacement and a head that easily outflows the 2zz... its a no brainer.

I really dont see any kind of "problems"

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Im doing the swap myself. Wiring is the least of my issues. If need be I will buy an oscilloscope and figure everything out as I am an Instrument Tech. If I cant get the Spyder dash to work O well. I will get an aftermarket one. Not using A/C.

Sure the 2zz is easier. But for 30% increase in displacement and a head that easily outflows the 2zz... its a no brainer.

I really don't see any kind of "problems"
I'll tell you now. If your serious and don't really care about the Dash stuff. From what I can see. It will be gravy for you.

K-series Engine
K-Series Trans
All engine mounting parts
02-04 RSX Wiring harness
02-04 RSX charge harness
Hybrid Racing Universal adapter Kit. (Hook up the wires as they are labeled)
Turn key / Push button what ever you decided LOL
And your off.

Also You have a PM.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Do the innovative mounts also come with mounts for the K-series 5/6speed?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Uva... This may be helpful to find alot of the answers you are looking for. As a matter of fact, they may all be hidden in this manual.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-3-mr2-spyder/Toyota-MR2-61651-mk3-full-toyota-maintenance-manual.html

The speed sensor for ABS detects the wheel speed and sends the appropriate signals to the ABS ECU.
The ABS ECU converts these signals into a 4–pulse signal and outputs it to the combination meter.
After this signal is converted into a more precise rectangular waveform by the waveform shaping circuit inside
the combination meter, it is then transmitted to the vane pump assembly with motor. The vane pump
assembly with motor determines the vehicle speed based on the frequency of these pulse signals.

41 - 60 of 1787 Posts
About this Discussion
1.8K Replies
108 Participants
BottledFedMR2
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing