MR2 SpyderChat banner

1781 - 1787 of 1787 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone here done the K24 bottom end with the K20A2 cylinder head and oil pump?
Weighing options on getting the K20A2 head or sending the K24's out for head work from K Mod.
I have been told it drops the compression ratio in the process which given my turbo goal it wouldn't hurt.
I have a k20 head recently refurbished by Clearwater Cylinder Head w/tsx cams and gears for $550 + shipping if you are interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, the Cracked Up Racing MR2 is coming along nicely.

I got my engine and transmission mounted and wanted to share some clearance captures.

First, the Skunk2 Ultra manifold clears the firewall very well.

Another angle:

Second, using an 80mm K-Tuned throttle body with the Acuity Hall effect TPS I had to 'tap' the firewall by approximately 1/2"

Third, with a Hard Dog roll-bar installed everything cleared. I still bumped the firewall out slightly near the alternator however. Here is the roll-bar backing plate for reference.

And it's clearance installed

Fourth, I tried to capture the awkward angle the lower coolant hose has with the following pics. I'm going to try coupling a 135 degree and a 90 degree together (using one of the many fan switch sensor adaptors) and see if it works. Using Pegasus Racing for those bends (135 Degree and 90 Degree)

From the driver-side looking passenger side:

And from the bottom looking up:

Fifth, Here is a relatively clear picture of the upper coolant hoses. Look pretty similar to OEM Spyder

Sixth, I have a K24 installed, and I know there have been concerns about oil pan clearance. Here are a couple shots for those interested.

-and-

Finally, because I thought the engine looks nice and natural in the car

Hi did you have to shave anything of the motor to fit the intake ?
I might just drop the idea of using my rrc and opt for this intake can you take a pic of the other side of the belt and idler pulley configuration please?

·
Vendor
6,561 Posts
Hi did you have to shave anything of the motor to fit the intake ?
I might just drop the idea of using my rrc and opt for this intake can you take a pic of the other side of the belt and idler pulley configuration please?
Yes, you will need to unless your using the PRB head. Otherwise you will but it varies in how much based off which water housing your using. The K24a2 housing is different from the A4, and K20a2, and k20z3's, which you can use. I suggest using google or K20a.org and searching there are many photos on there but keep in mind that the photo might not be exact to yours as the water housing might be different, but it will give you a good idea. Some of the housing are so much different that people have had to trim the actual tensioner which I do not recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, you will need to unless your using the PRB head. Otherwise you will but it varies in how much based off which water housing your using. The K24a2 housing is different from the A4, and K20a2, and k20z3's, which you can use. I suggest using google or K20a.org and searching there are many photos on there but keep in mind that the photo might not be exact to yours as the water housing might be different, but it will give you a good idea. Some of the housing are so much different that people have had to trim the actual tensioner which I do not recommend.
Thank you,

Iam using the RSP head that comes of the k20z4 fn2 motor. The water port on the idle assist forms part of the intake. I have seen guys just tapping the hole and use a fitting to sort out the water port or just purchase the ktuned k24 manifold adapter. I think iam going to go this route.

·
Vendor
6,561 Posts
Thank you,

Iam using the RSP head that comes of the k20z4 fn2 motor. The water port on the idle assist forms part of the intake. I have seen guys just tapping the hole and use a fitting to sort out the water port or just purchase the ktuned k24 manifold adapter. I think iam going to go this route.
I am not a fan of the ktuned version. We have been using the tractuff one, made in the USA not china. Never have we had a issue. Plus the owner stands by his stuff.

1781 - 1787 of 1787 Posts
About this Discussion
1.8K Replies
108 Participants
BottledFedMR2
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing