MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I STUPIDLY got jdm K24 claimed to be TSX motor (or whatever their Euro R accord)--- Shop who was doing build when I asked in initial stages said NOT to mess with jdm crap.--- should have listened

as some of you know, I been trying to put this thing into my MR2. After dyno my motor is making 186whp and 155 tq and is overheating and builds-up pressure in the coolant reservoir. ---> Mechanic who did the build says its the headgasket issue.

While being there today, I pulled the head cover off. and here are pics.
(He suspects that block is from Non-highcomp accord, while head looks like K20 馃が) ---- All this would explain the improper headgasket which JDM importer probably slapped together. Anyways I would please like your opinion on this. What do you all think this motor REALLY is? Thanks for help in advance.

Attachments

Registered

186 whp is about right for a stock tsx motor, but that doesn't seem right. that head shouldn't be on that block. Bad install makes for head gasket failures.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

186 whp is about right for a stock tsx motor, but that doesn't seem right. that head shouldn't be on that block. Bad install makes for head gasket failures.
what head is it? is that k20 head? is that low comp block?

also, 186 for TSX motor? isnt that too little with bolt-ons and dyno?

Registered
its the lower end k24 head ie accord.

200bhp to 186whp is only 7% drivetrain loss. so, unless its tuned, and actually has vtec, that seems like its doing well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the lower end k24 head ie accord.

200bhp to 186whp is only 7% drivetrain loss. so, unless its tuned, and actually has vtec, that seems like its doing well.
It should have 3 lobe V-tech, and it is tuned on dyno. Do those cams possibly tell you anything? (sorry I am not really knowledgeable in this motors)

Registered
they look like it should be the 3 lobe vtec, but does it have the 50 degree VTC gear? also, with a leaking headgasket, you will most definitely lose power.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they look like it should be the 3 lobe vtec, but does it have the 50 degree VTC gear? also, with a leaking headgasket, you will most definitely lose power.
no clue about 50 degree vtc gear.
what about head? what head is that? any ideas?

Registered
The link I posted above says its the lower end k24 head. you know, accord and such. 160bhp engine head.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The link I posted above says its the lower end k24 head. you know, accord and such. 160bhp engine head.
So basically I have a k24 accord block with regular non-high performance k20 head..... is that correct?

Registered
I mean no disrespect to anyone here but your question would be far better served on a Honda forum just in terms of familiarity. On the same note, if the shop doing the work didn't know what motor they were working with then they are clearly not the shop that should be performing the engine swap. At that point everything from the wiring to the hose routing becomes suspect...and the only thing I hate more than messing something up is paying someone else to do so.

I'm sure you've heard this before but I would just add that "JDM importers" often give incorrect info (sometimes wildly so) unless you hold them to details on a given engine with identifying information on it, then double check before installation. Also, its always a hood idea to do new seals/gaskets prior to installation as opposed to learning that you have a leaking 'xyz' after all the labor has been done.

Couldn't help noticing that valve cover looks like crap but everything else is clean as hell...not sure what to make of that. Just curious, what kind of power were you anticipating?

Registered
The "not real VTEC" is a two lobe design. VTEC opens the second intake valve but does not have higher lift. 3 lobe is the real VTEC (low/high cams). If it is the equivalent of the 04-05 tsx rbb then it has the smallest cams available. You can measure the big lobes.

The VTC gear does not look visually different between the 25掳 and 50掳 actuators. Regarding heads, they are interchangeable between K20 and K24. They all have the big bolt on water pipe adapter on the back. K24A2 intake valves are 1mm larger than K20A/Z3/etc. (36mm vs 35mm).

Only the K20A2 stuff is unique (and better imo). I would focus on cam lobe size for the big cam. I am not familiar with JP version of K24, but generally you want anything that's not 04-05 TSX cam equivalent - 06-08 TSX, 09+ (needs 09+ VTC because cams shorter).

K20A2/K20Z3/K20A cams are virtually identical. The K20A made more power with smallest harmonic balancer, high flow cat, and not-so-important hand ported head (yes we have one. It's nothing special).

We have done extensive testing on RBB, PRB, RBC, RSP intakes. This past Sunday we assembled a full motor heads and bottom end from scratch which was a K20Z3 block, K24 head, BC2 cams from parts we had lying around and fired it up.

If I were you I would have done a leakdown. If you're stripping it just swap the head gasket (use OEM only or Golden Eagle lasered OEM for bored).

Also check the lobe size of the big cam. There is plenty of info (search "mother of all cam threads"). Don't waste time trying to decide which stock cam is the best. They're all relatively equal except for the poo 04-05 TSX.

From what I've read, the best flowing head is the non-vtec CRV. So...

Registered
The "not real VTEC" is a two lobe design. VTEC opens the second intake valve but does not have higher lift. 3 lobe is the real VTEC (low/high cams). If it is the equivalent of the 04-05 tsx rbb then it has the smallest cams available. You can measure the big lobes.

The VTC gear does not look visually different between the 25掳 and 50掳 actuators. Regarding heads, they are interchangeable between K20 and K24. They all have the big bolt on water pipe adapter on the back. K24A2 intake valves are 1mm larger than K20A/Z3/etc. (36mm vs 35mm).

Only the K20A2 stuff is unique (and better imo). I would focus on cam lobe size for the big cam. I am not familiar with JP version of K24, but generally you want anything that's not 04-05 TSX cam equivalent - 06-08 TSX, 09+ (needs 09+ VTC because cams shorter).

K20A2/K20Z3/K20A cams are virtually identical. The K20A made more power with smallest harmonic balancer, high flow cat, and not-so-important hand ported head (yes we have one. It's nothing special).

We have done extensive testing on RBB, PRB, RBC, RSP intakes. This past Sunday we assembled a full motor heads and bottom end from scratch which was a K20Z3 block, K24 head, BC2 cams from parts we had lying around and fired it up.

If I were you I would have done a leakdown. If you're stripping it just swap the head gasket (use OEM only or Golden Eagle lasered OEM for bored).

Also check the lobe size of the big cam. There is plenty of info (search "mother of all cam threads"). Don't waste time trying to decide which stock cam is the best. They're all relatively equal except for the poo 04-05 TSX.

From what I've read, the best flowing head is the non-vtec CRV. So...
:) the head is fine yes it has vtec on both sides and it has VTC. Send a pic of the code of the head.It should be on the heater water housing side. Also try and get a camera down the spark plug hole and send us a pic of the piston head.

Registered
I ordered a JDM K24 from Honda Motors Online. They were really professional and knowledgeable. The reps over there explained the differences between model years and gave me prices for the different options. The price difference for the "best" one with three-lobe cam was really negligible. The motor I got was super clean outside and inside.

They also gave me a heads up on the fact that I'd need to change the water pump/housing.

Registered
Codename Bill hit it on the head. That is definitely a vtec head, lots of parts are interchangable between K series. What bottom end you have could be an unknown. I have purchased two jdm VTEC K24A engines from Dallas JDM for under $1k shipped and they were both excellent clean engines. Would happily do business with them again.
download_20210429_103802.jpg
download_20210429_103804.jpg
download_20210429_103822.jpg
download_20210429_103824.jpg

As far as manifolds go, I really like to port match and smooth out the 06-08 tsx manifold. Gives some excellent low end improvements with minimal cost. Lots of accord guys actively seek out the 04-05 TSX manifold as a simple bolt on upgrade.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. So from general consensus it seems like a proper k24 vtec both sides head with low compression block?

This means that motor pretty much was not putting power down because of headgasket issue. Is that block stamped raa even meant to be matched with this head? --- or is this just parts bin assembly?

Registered
RAA is just the base block casting and it's on a few different K24 engines. Just like how PNA is the stamp for K20A, K20A2, K20A3, & K20Z1 engines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts