MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob question. To swap do I need to do anything with the tranny. I noticed they sell it as a package, also will it work with my SMT, or should I swap that as well?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I’d advise reading the k2x swap thread as it has A LOT of helpful info. You definitely can’t use the SMT on the swap is the short answer. Take a look at the thread and it will have a lot of questions answered as well as issues found by people as they were performing their swaps. It’s a bear but it’s worth learning differences between engine/trans by year, k20, k24, frankenswaps, etc

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Link to the right thread? I'm just seeing threads that argue which is the better engine.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sure...this thread has a lot of useful info. If you only saw engine discussion you haven’t read through all of it.

A quick FAQ page

This page has some good aggregate info as well, pics are always a nice reference too.

Hopefully that helps getting you started

Reactions: just-a-scratch

·
Registered
241 Posts
I will give you something nobody else here will--- a price quote. If you take it to the shop to have it done, it will cost about 10k for most basic setup. If you decide to with nicer engine, built 6spd lsd trans, and keeping ac and emissions, it will go up to about 13k. (Obviously if you can do al work yourself and buy parts car and sell unused parts you might even profit). On the contrary, I estimated cost of 2zz with 6spd lsd swap, and funny enough done properly you might save 2000$ at most if shop is doing the work.---i figured if spending so much, might as well go all out

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can do it yourself for <4k by getting a donor rsx-s and parting out (you can end up with slight profit while getting all the stock parts. I've done it twice). The cost will be in all the aftermarket parts - axles, harnesses, mounts, etc.

From your questions it doesn't sound like this is a task you should tackle yourself.

Reference 03MRS' prices and do a lot of reading first.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Wait what????? What does the kit have it? And where were you few month ago lool
Its taken time but I have been working hard to produce all my own parts "off the shelf" so I could lower the price down. I am working with Che to make a manifold that works with the spyder OEM system. We have it prototyped and I'm waiting on the final one to come. This will drop the price by approximate $700-900 if you re-use the oe exhaust. I also have been working to make my own axles which drops the price even more. They are not done yet but when my axles get here you can expect to have a budget kit for $2300. Which will get the car running and moving, like a 2zz with a OE ecu, the most basic swap you can do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to keep the smt. Is their another sequential that would work with a k20? I just thinks a cool system. Also, thanks for the links.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Answer: Yes
Practical answer: not really
Sequential trans' are a dime a dozen for racing applications but not a similar system to the Spyder daily driven style of trans

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I want to keep the smt. Is their another sequential that would work with a k20? I just thinks a cool system. Also, thanks for the links.
You might look at the 8-speed DCT from the Acura ILX. It comes bolted up to a newer K24 variant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts