MR2 SpyderChat banner

key fob issue

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TxBman 
#1 ·
I bought a 2002 Spyder last August. I am looking for a key fob. I was told by my local Toyota dealership (I live in Canada) that since the car was manufactured in the US, I would have to purchase one from a US Toyota dealership. Anyone have experience with getting a key fob?

#2 · (Edited)
This one from Amazon should work. $25.
Also, program it yourself. Dealer help is not required. I’ll paste the procedure below...

MR2 Spyder

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the
remote was not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Toyota Part Number: 08191-00922

Numbers on the back of the remote FCC ID: BAB237131-056

#5 ·
This one from Amazon should work. $25.
Also, program it yourself. Dealer help is not required. I’ll paste the procedure below...

MR2 Spyder

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the
remote was not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Toyota Part Number: 08191-00922

Numbers on the back of the remote FCC ID: BAB237131-056

View attachment 81568
If you want to upgrade to a slick all-in-one flip out key fob, this one from Artiway has worked pretty well for me. You have to message him and ask to include the 4C chip to work with the immobilizer. It initially was a little stiff in the doors, and doesn’t work well in the cubbies, but works fine for the ignition, glove compartment, gas/hood lock, and airbag switch. Found it to be a very nice upgrade.
Thank you! I'll check it out.

#3 ·
Ugh that's completely false any Canadian dealer can easily get all the parts they were just being lazy.

Key blank (they can cut for you and you can program using pedal dance):90999-00164

New fob (can also easily be programmed
To the car): 08191-00922

Pedal dance procedure for keys:

Procedure for programming a new fob:

#4 ·
If you want to upgrade to a slick all-in-one flip out key fob, this one from Artiway has worked pretty well for me. You have to message him and ask to include the 4C chip to work with the immobilizer. It initially was a little stiff in the doors, and doesn’t work well in the cubbies, but works fine for the ignition, glove compartment, gas/hood lock, and airbag switch. Found it to be a very nice upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.