MR2 SpyderChat banner

Key fobs

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SuperWhiteGT4 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to purhcase a 2000 Spyder with no key fobs.. The owner said he does not have them.. I see the OEM looks alike fobs availabe on ebay for about $50 each. My question is that will it work for the spyder assuming I have to do some kind of programing to the fobs either with instruction or have to get the dealer to do it. Can I also assume that this car should have the remote door function and alarm function from Toyota but I just don't have the fobs ? or remote door lock and alarm functions are optional features, it does not gauranty they are installed in every spyder ? If not, can I install a aftermarket alarm say a 2 way compstar, will the remote control from the alarm be able to control the door lock too? That may save me some money to buy the alarm and the OEC fobs..

Thanks.

#4 ·
Remote keyless entry (or, "RKE") was not a standard option on '00 models, but some vehicles were equipped with it as a port or dealer-installed option. I believe it was made standard on all vehicles in '01 (but it could have been '02).

Call any Toyota dealer, ask for the Parts department, and ask them to run your VIN to see if the car had RKE installed. Or, buy the fob on eBay for a couple of bucks and try programming the fob when it arrives. It'll either (1) work or (2) not work depending if you have the RKE module installed.

There were a number of threads on this forum years ago about buying the OEM RKE module (Toyota Part No. 08585-17820) new or used and installing it in a '00 Spyder. There was also a thread noting the RS3200 unit used in the 2000/2001 Camry can be installed in the 2000 Spyder.

Rich

#6 ·
Does it make sense to install a after market alarm system which comes with a remote starter, door lock instead of the OEM ? if the car does not have the RKE, will it work with after market alarm system ? It will protect my personal item even with the top down for zone motion detection. Any pros and cons compared to the OEM RKE module ? :confused:
Thanks.

#7 ·
Yes, it will work with aftermarket alarm systems- they can be setup to do just about anything, including locking and unlocking with your smart phone.

The early RKE was just Lock/Unlock/Panic, there was no alarm. The later ones had a motion sensor inside the car that would put off warning honks if people were rooting around when you had it locked with the top down. An aftermarket system could do this, along with a shock sensor, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.