MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was keyless entry standard? when i bought the car this weekend, i only got one key... i'll have to get some spares made and hopefully the song and dance programming works for me... but before i go and put in an aftermarket alarm system, wasn't sure if i could just order a toyota remote and program it for a temp keyless entry...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
was keyless entry standard? when i bought the car this weekend, i only got one key... i'll have to get some spares made and hopefully the song and dance programming works for me... but before i go and put in an aftermarket alarm system, wasn't sure if i could just order a toyota remote and program it for a temp keyless entry...
Remote keyless entry (or, "RKE") was not a standard option on '00 models, but some vehicles were equipped with it as a port or dealer-installed option. I believe it was made standard on all vehicles in '01 (but it could have been '02).

Rich

·
Registered
896 Posts
The key has a chip in it so you can't just go to Lowes. I bought a remote off eBay and programmed it for my 03.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remote keyless entry (or, "RKE") was not a standard option on '00 models, but some vehicles were equipped with it as a port or dealer-installed option. I believe it was made standard on all vehicles in '01 (but it could have been '02).

Rich
any way for me to check to see if it has a RKE module? is their a 'brain' installed somewhere?

The key has a chip in it so you can't just go to Lowes. I bought a remote off eBay and programmed it for my 03.
i was going to order the key online, have HD/Lowes cut it for me, and try to song and dance program it myself...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
any way for me to check to see if it has a RKE module? is their a 'brain' installed somewhere?

i was going to order the key online, have HD/Lowes cut it for me, and try to song and dance program it myself...
The Toyota RS3200 Remote Keyless Entry system that was used in the Spyder had a separate fob, not the one-piece key/fob you see on some other Toyota products.

Call any Toyota dealer, ask for the Parts department, and ask them to run your VIN to see if the car had RKE installed. Or, buy the fob on eBay for a couple of bucks and try programming the fob when it arrives. It'll either (1) work or (2) not work depending if you have the RKE module installed.

There were a number of threads on this forum years ago about buying the RKE module (Toyota Part No. 08585-17820) new or used and installing it in a '00 Spyder. I have the harness and two fobs, but haven't found the module for sale at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Toyota RS3200 Remote Keyless Entry system that was used in the Spyder had a separate fob, not the one-piece key/fob you see on some other Toyota products.

Call any Toyota dealer, ask for the Parts department, and ask them to run your VIN to see if the car had RKE installed. Or, buy the fob on eBay for a couple of bucks and try programming the fob when it arrives. It'll either (1) work or (2) not work depending if you have the RKE module installed.

There were a number of threads on this forum years ago about buying the RKE module (Toyota Part No. 08585-17820) new or used and installing it in a '00 Spyder. I have the harness and two fobs, but haven't found the module for sale at a reasonable price.
thanks for that... sounds like the cheaper option would be to just get an aftermarket alarm system instead...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
thanks for that... sounds like the cheaper option would be to just get an aftermarket alarm system instead...
Agreed. But, it doesn't have that OEM feel.

Where in NY/NJ are you? I have a pair of fobs you can test out to confirm whether or not your car has RKE.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. But, it doesn't have that OEM feel.

Where in NY/NJ are you? I have a pair of fobs you can test out to confirm whether or not your car has RKE.
i'm in Essex county... about 10 mins from Newark... i used to work in Bedminster... i may take you up on that offer... thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i'm in Essex county... about 10 mins from Newark... i used to work in Bedminster... i may take you up on that offer... thanks!!! :D
I'm moving to Morris Township within a month .. and work in Parsippany.

Let me know if/when you want to test out the FOBs or need any other help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts