MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a knocking, or clunking, sound coming from the rear of the car under the following circumstances:
  • When coming to a complete stop, simultaneous with the little weight transfer nose dip.
  • When accelerating from a stop, simultaneous with the initial transfer of torque to the wheels.
  • When accelerating from a cruising speed, simultaneous with the intial sharp stab of the accelerator.
Things I've checked and found negative:
  • excessive lateral wheel play on all corners
  • loose suspension bolts at the top strut, and on both sides of all swing arms
  • loose engine mount bolts
  • worn engine mounts

The car has 135k miles on it. The suspension has about 90k miles on it. My rear springs are creaking as well, and I do not know if that may be related.

Any ideas? My initial impression is CV joints, but I would expect excessive lateral wheel movement in that case.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
My initial impression is CV joints
I was getting this weird vibration under acceleration for the longest time. No play in the wheels, everything felt fine under poking and prodding. Only after we took the axles out did we find my passenger side CV joint was shot completely to hell, and we boggled at just exactly how F'd up it was.

New axles went in, problem went away.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
We had something similar to this on my wife's ST205 Celica and it was a loose side engine mount (attached to the front of the engine - transverse layout). Now, it didn't look loose so we missed it initially. Had to retorque the engine mount to body bolts that's how we found it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Not a common thing in the Spyder but I would try to make sure the rear springs aren't cracked if you lift the car for further investigation again. Unfortunately vague suspending noises can be a real PITA. Btw are you on struts or coilovers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
thought this was a Knock knock, whos there? piston #2 post.

but i have a similar clunk but i havent pinpointed where its coming from mainly due to not driving the car much
but i suspect its suspension related

my clunk that ive noticed only comes when start/stop

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I had some similar knock noise from my DSS kswap axles. Different beast but the fault could be the same. Maybe try lifting up the rear and spinning the wheel back and forth?

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
I had the same thought. I haven't experienced it in the Spyder but I have in other RWD vehicles.

I had a clunk from my axle drive splines. I guess the big nut wasn’t tight enough and the splines had a little play. I tightened the snot out of it and the clunk went away. I noticed the clunk when applying power in first gear or reverse. I suppose it wasn’t audible on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm getting a knocking, or clunking, sound coming from the rear of the car under the following circumstances:
  • When coming to a complete stop, simultaneous with the little weight transfer nose dip.
  • When accelerating from a stop, simultaneous with the initial transfer of torque to the wheels.
  • When accelerating from a cruising speed, simultaneous with the intial sharp stab of the accelerator.
Things I've checked and found negative:
  • excessive lateral wheel play on all corners
  • loose suspension bolts at the top strut, and on both sides of all swing arms
  • loose engine mount bolts
  • worn engine mounts

The car has 135k miles on it. The suspension has about 90k miles on it. My rear springs are creaking as well, and I do not know if that may be related.

Any ideas? My initial impression is CV joints, but I would expect excessive lateral wheel movement in that case.
My guess for your squeak is dry ball joints . it will make you think it's your spring .Cv joints usually start making a clicking sound when wore out.Also did you check sway bar links they are ball and socket type and will make a rattle when the get worse and loose . I've had that happen. Good Luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
We had something similar to this on my wife's ST205 Celica and it was a loose side engine mount (attached to the front of the engine - transverse layout). Now, it didn't look loose so we missed it initially. Had to retorque the engine mount to body bolts that's how we found it.
I have a ST185, it's common for the rear diff mount or bushings to cause this. Not sure with the spyder, maybe check all mounts. I'd say have someone set the parking brake and put it in gear while you look under but that's deadly since Spyder parking brakes never work

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have a ST185, it's common for the rear diff mount or bushings to cause this. Not sure with the spyder, maybe check all mounts. I'd say have someone set the parking brake and put it in gear while you look under but that's deadly since Spyder parking brakes never work
If someone is setting the P brake and the engine is running then they should also use the foot brake before engaging the clutch. That just may help locate the knock.

·
Registered
2001 syder
238 Posts
Please someone find the culprit for this issue. I also have the infamous thump/ knock when going over bumps from the right rear. I've only got 40k on the car. Twice I have had it on jack stands to check all rear suspension components. Almost sounds like the muffler knocking but have ruled that out. I did just order the 5$ GABRIEL rear struts off of rock auto. So may change them out to see if it's that. I know they are 20+ years old so maybe. But this has been a head scratcher and I don't want to throw parts at it. May mt a gopro and see if I can isolate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts