MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Che makes the Lotus style center exit. His customer service is excellent if you have problems. The dual canister seems to have fewer fitment issues.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know there was a knock off of Che's Lotus style.

The price on eBay seems a little high. Private message Che directly via spyderchat if you have any questions.

Rasheed

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Until I hear otherwise, the knockoffs and the "Che" exhausts are one and the same. My theory is that he charges twice as much so he can still replace your defective part down the road and still make money...then it gets called good customer service. The Che exhaust my car came with apparently had a hanger rip off prior to my purchasing the car and was incorrectly manufactured, causing the previous owner to have to make a large cut in the rear bumper. The CNT exhaust I purchased to replace it came with warped flanges, an obnoxiously large tip and I'm pretty sure the downpipe side of the exhaust is too short, putting extra flex into the downpipe flex joints and is causing them to wear out prematurely. The CNT reps here were pretty useless.

Might I suggest you drop the cash on at least a Team Moon. They aren't without their own problems, but I think people's overall experience is better.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Until I hear otherwise, the knockoffs and the "Che" exhausts are one and the same. My theory is that he charges twice as much so he can still replace your defective part down the road and still make money...then it gets called good customer service. The Che exhaust my car came with apparently had a hanger rip off prior to my purchasing the car and was incorrectly manufactured, causing the previous owner to have to make a large cut in the rear bumper. The CNT exhaust I purchased to replace it came with warped flanges, an obnoxiously large tip and I'm pretty sure the downpipe side of the exhaust is too short, putting extra flex into the downpipe flex joints and is causing them to wear out prematurely. The CNT reps here were pretty useless.

Might I suggest you drop the cash on at least a Team Moon. They aren't without their own problems, but I think people's overall experience is better.
Don't get the knock off! From personal experience i will tell you this. Without realizing (being impatient) i purchased that exhaust. Total came out to be about $250 Great price, but there is a reason for this..
The details.. The installation was pretty straight forward, at least i thought.. After installation the issues began..
1. It isn't just bolt on.
I attempted to install this with the bumper installed... It didn't work. Why? the dual out do not fit without modification. When i attempted to bolt the thing up the plastic of the bumper was being bent to some shit! So, i had to take off the bumper, and take a dremel to it. Made two half circles and it finally fit. I did not want to do this, however there was no turning back..
2.The flange does not match up.
Pretty self explanitory. The flange doesn't match up all that well and has caused me an exhaust leak with my ches cattless DP and my stock gutted headers. Better with my PPE though; Still bad line up, but i was able to get a seel.
3. I haven't heard a ches lotus style dual canister in person, but from what i've heard it is pretty quiet with a nice tone. With the ppe header and high flow cat, my knockoff dual canister is a little loud for my likeing. It does have a decent tone to is, but this doesn't take from the fact that it is a little loud.

Long story short, get ches or better. Don't get the knock off! oh and don't impulsivly buy when you see a great price! haha i learned that the hard way!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Until I hear otherwise, the knockoffs and the "Che" exhausts are one and the same. My theory is that he charges twice as much so he can still replace your defective part down the road and still make money...then it gets called good customer service.
Agreed completely. Che (or Topspeed) doesn't make the exhausts, he gets them shipped from China and resells at a higher price. Quality they are all the same. Customer service Che is better.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know anything about the knock off! This last Christmas, I replaced the team moon dual with the Che lotus style. I bought it directly from Che through spyderchat when he had a sale over Christmas. This revised version bolts directly to your exhaust and the only modification you would have to do is to bend one of the hangers so the exhaust tips sit in the center of the car. No exhaust leaks and no cracking.

The sound is quieter than the teammoon but that was the main reason I replaced it as the TM was too loud when cruising on the freeway.

I am very satisfied with this exhaust and won't replace it.

Please keep in mind that I have a 2zz with LR header.
Rasheed

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Thin flanges and mis-aligned hangers seem to be pretty common among knock-offs.

^What OldMan said, as well.

Not sure as I believe most are made with a jig in place for alignment. However the best way to install it is lifting the car up and going that way, not taking the bumper off. Alignment is assured via a lift.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
gut precats and install a nice catback for a system that will last all these headers are crap with the exception of the ppe or zero exhaust the little gains are not worth the headaches associated with cheapo quality to save a few bucks happy motoring :lol:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not sure as I believe most are made with a jig in place for alignment. However the best way to install it is lifting the car up and going that way, not taking the bumper off. Alignment is assured via a lift.
Yeah, that would make sense. I've had no such issues (bought directly from Che), but recall hearing tales of bad fitment.

·
Registered
802 Posts
In my experience, the stuff from Japan fits with OEM perfection - or at least this is true with HKS and Apexi. The cheaper stuff I've dealt with had issues with alignment (rubbing on chassis or bumper skin) or mounting (misaligned hangers or flanges in the worst case). One generic exhaust we ran had issues with ALL of the above.

Not saying all cheap stuff is bad. We ran a Che header with no issues here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just wondering, are there really any downfalls to getting a knock off exhaust (i personally am looking at the lotus style ones) as opposed to a better name brand ones like Ches?
Main example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR2-MRS-MR-...er&hash=item2a1bc95a60&vxp=mtr#ht_3504wt_1008

as opposed to
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item564728f189&vxp=mtr
check this out, its NOT knock off!! with a good price!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae60b580c

·
Registered
217 Posts
In my experience, the stuff from Japan fits with OEM perfection - or at least this is true with HKS and Apexi. The cheaper stuff I've dealt with had issues with alignment (rubbing on chassis or bumper skin) or mounting (misaligned hangers or flanges in the worst case). One generic exhaust we ran had issues with ALL of the above.

Not saying all cheap stuff is bad. We ran a Che header with no issues here.
+1 to japanese parts... if you dont mind paying for the ultimate in quality (eg. $600-1200 for a cat back exhaust for our cars depending on brand and configuration) then you can get something that will be OEM quality or better, that will fit perfectly and probably last a lifetime.

I have only ever had good experiences with buying original brand japanese parts, perfect fit and function every time. Yes you are paying for a brand, but you are also paying for quality in the welds and attention to detail etc.

Its worth looking into who can source you some of the genuine japanese parts, some places are crazy over priced while others can get better deals so its worth shopping around and not all JDM brands are as expensive as others.

Yes a genuine amuse titanium exhaust will set you back $2000 for a cat back but other brands have more reasonable prices, for example you can get a kakimoto exhaust for around $600. People get blinded by the over priced stuff and forget there are more reasonably priced items coming out of japan still. If you want to save some money, just wait till the exchange rate is in your favor.

A real enthusiast will appreciate the difference in quality between going out and buying an exhaust from Kakimoto/HKS/GP Sports etc. or an ebay china item.

By now you can probably guess im a bit biased towards genuine jap parts, but from my experiences they have been the only parts that have never disappointed me. Everything else there has always been some slight issue that has annoyed me and made me wish i spent the bit extra for something genuine.

In saying that i have che extractors but it is only a temporary solution as i did not want to gut the stock cats and will likely go turbo/engine swap in the future so the TRD headers i wanted would not have been a good investment in this case. They seem to work fine, but the mounts had to be modified to fit and the heat shield also had to be cut for it to fit as well.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
And the ad says,

"*** Special Note: This Exhaust are Defective Production / the Pipe connect to the stock Catalytic Converter is 0.75" too short. You will need to add 0.75" Pipe to extend it longer. Original Price $399.99 / Now $199.99 Sold as is No Warranty."

That's why the price is so good.
This would be the last thing I'd spend 2 bills on!

·
Registered
710 Posts
If your car is a race track car then you can cheap out on the exhaust since no exhaust is the best exhaust in terms of less restriction. If this is a car that you actually want to enjoy driving then spend a little more since this is something your going to hear every time you turn on the car. Think of the catback of the exhaust like a musical instrument that your going to have to hear over and over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts