MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents. I recently put in the KONI damper adjustable yellow shocks in my spyder. What a huge difference in handling...the car stays planted on the road even up to speeds of around 200km/h.....it changes direction very very fast and body roll is almost non existent when one changes lanes fast.....

The problem that I have now is that over rough road the spyder seems all over the place...I have to hold the steering very firm..and still the steering pulls as and when it feels like...now I want to change the bushes in the front of the car but firstly what exactly do I go and buy from toyota? secondly will this sort my problem out? thirdly am I on the right track?

On flat roads the car is perfect...only on rough road does she misbehave....also this problem only happened after I took a 1000km trip on some rough roads at high speeds....so my thinking was the bushes needs to be changed....

I called toyota recently and they said the bushes for the front lower control arm cannot be replaced and I need to buy a whole new control arm if I want to change that bush....

He did give me prices for the stabilizer bar bush's and some other bush's of which he said I need 4 of them just for the front....

So gents please advice me as to what I need to change in order to get my car sorted? Many thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....ok does Dev still sell the bush's for the front control arm? Where can I order this...I live in South Africa so I need to shipped/flown over to me asap...now that I know what I need to change I will happily do it....thanks cap!

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Thanks for the reply....ok does Dev still sell the bush's for the front control arm? Where can I order this...I live in South Africa so I need to shipped/flown over to me asap...now that I know what I need to change I will happily do it....thanks cap!
I only have one kit left unclaimed for if you are interested but keep in mind that I will not get my shipment of bushings until they come in which can be anywhere form this week to early next week.

But more importantly did you get an alignment after the installation.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
If you are desperate for front control arm bushings you can possibly try these.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W53301
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W53302

My front control arm bushing that I offer would be better because it's cheaper and I can guarantee that it works.
The rear front control arm bushing that I linked to may work but I am only 90% sure.
You can order from the company as they will ship internationally. If you are getting a shop to do the work great otherwise if you order my tool and DVDs it can be done.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have the same issue. I changed the bushing I purchased from dev and I helped slightly. I know my issue is due to alignment mostly and unbalanced wheels. The factory bushings were still good and no signs of failure. I have yet to do an alignment and balance because I am waiting for a few more parts.

Ps You might want to check your tie rods and wheel bearings. Oh and check the attachment points. The previous owner or owners or the person who did the swap for the previous owner jacked up the car or used jack stands on the front left side right at where the front lca bushing was. It bent the sheet metal around it reducing range of articulation. I had to bend it back to normal when installing devs bushing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi dev...thanks for the reply...I will have my car checked by the latest end of this week to confirm what is wrong...hopefully I can get this one company locally to make me polyurethane bushes all around.....if that can be done then I will be super happy....

I will keep you posted......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok...callled some local suspension experts...they can make the lower control arm bushes with polyurethane.....I am sure the other parts can be made as well....

so gents I need advice as I will be taking my car there tomorrow for a quotation......what bush's should I make from polyurethane?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
ok...callled some local suspension experts...they can make the lower control arm bushes with polyurethane.....I am sure the other parts can be made as well....

so gents I need advice as I will be taking my car there tomorrow for a quotation......what bush's should I make from polyurethane?

Thanks
Any bushing that isn't a multi axis pivot point is a good one to replace with polyurethane.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts

Thanks
Are the local suspension experts engineers, if not you could be asking for a whole lot of trouble having them make Poly bushings for you. Poly bushings require a high degree of engineering to provide the right consistency without binding or slipping out of place.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Any bushing that isn't a multi axis pivot point is a good one to replace with polyurethane.
The newer poly formulations are great for any applications in which rubber is called for. It can the best of both worlds and the longevity to go with it. Earlier versions have had all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sup bro...nope not engineers.....but i hopefully got the problem sorted out....i got the front bush's checked and they were super ok...so i complained to the guys at the suspension place telling them that my car is not driving right....so they pushed up the rear and my right wheel had a play!!! about 2 months back i changed the rear wheel bearing and hub.....so I took the car back to those guys as it was still under guarantee and they had a look...the center main nut that holds everything together was loose! how that happened I do not know....

the guy gave me some story that if I had the handbrake up and took off that alone could loosen the nut....i politely disagreed but was I wrong?

So the car drove better....the car does not pull over rough road but I will be doing about a 50km trip in about and hours time and I will report back to you all.....hope that was the problem with the car.....

Thanks dev for all the advice....definitely improved my knowledge on the spyder.......:lol:

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
the guy gave me some story that if I had the handbrake up and took off that alone could loosen the nut....i politely disagreed but was I wrong?
I don't know if that is possible. It seems like to be the nut was not tightened well or sometimes freshly tightened nuts can loosen with vibration. Rare as it is I always re-torque my lug nuts a few days after everything settles.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't know if that is possible. It seems like to be the nut was not tightened well or sometimes freshly tightened nuts can loosen with vibration. Rare as it is I always re-torque my lug nuts a few days after everything settles.
Reverse power slides...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be sure you're using the Top strut nuts supplied by Koni. I was stupid and decided that the OEM nut was going to fit and put that over the new Koni strut and it was loose as hell for awhile. I couldn't figure out why I was all over the place. I went through 2 alignments until I realized why my alignment was changing after I just had it done. So we replaced the nut and the strut is now properly seated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts