MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
I do not recall the number for the front, but it is the same as the rear. Look at the insert. See the little bump tabs? The whole idea is to have those bump tabs inside the OEM strut housing with a little room to spare. If you leave too much housing then you run the risk of pulling the threads on the insert/bolt and/or making removal of the insert difficult (in the circumstance of a warrantee). Structurally I do not believe it adds much accept the insert will move around inside the housing without the tabs. Just my two cents.
OK.. I'll just measure it out.. .. -6mm

·
Registered
13 Posts
NOTE TO ALL - the rear is NOT the same but as the front despite the instructions. If you cut the 63-65mm off of the rear you will either be very carefully welding the sleeve of strut back on or buying a new strut! I think rear is more like 30mm or so, but after you do the fronts (confirmed at 63-65mm) you will quickly see how the strut goes together and see how the bumps on the koni strut are supposed to draw into the existing strut body. Unfortunately I read this thread (where people say they are the same) and made my first cut on the rear. AND, since we were out of power from this hurricane (Delta 2020), I could not weld it back together for 3 days because my generator will not keep up with my welding machines. Frustrated and will be having a conversation with KONI.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NOTE TO ALL - the rear is NOT the same but as the front despite the instructions. If you cut the 63-65mm off of the rear you will either be very carefully welding the sleeve of strut back on or buying a new strut! I think rear is more like 30mm or so, but after you do the fronts (confirmed at 63-65mm) you will quickly see how the strut goes together and see how the bumps on the koni strut are supposed to draw into the existing strut body. Unfortunately I read this thread (where people say they are the same) and made my first cut on the rear. AND, since we were out of power from this hurricane (Delta 2020), I could not weld it back together for 3 days because my generator will not keep up with my welding machines. Frustrated and will be having a conversation with KONI.
Did you get a reply from KONI? I started with the rears since they came in the mail first. They came with instructions that said to cut 65mm off. I assumed that was correct so now I have a strut that’s too short. Thinking I’ll just throw it in anyways... I’m not too concerned about that extra 20mm.
After measuring the bolt and insert, I’m planning to cut the other side rear at 36mm instead of 65mm.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
65mm is correct for the front as that is right at the point the housing flares out to the larger diameter. The Koni sealing boot for the shock body on the front will bottom on the spring mount.

The rear should be cut just below the "cap" on the strut or about 30 mm. The centering "nubs" on the shock insert body must be inside the housing for a proper install. Measuring an old rear Koni insert indicates the most you could cut on the rear would be about 40 mm. If you cut more, you should find another old strut to cut to the proper number.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Before you cut. Put the koni strut next to the stock strut. Make sure your cut mark is above the small bumps on the upper part of the koni strut.

If those bumps are below the cut then the koni strut will not be held in the housing.

The measurement is not that important as long as the cut is above the bumps.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts