MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a thread and a couple mentions of a MMO piston soak. Has anyone here tried a Kreen piston soak to loosen up stuck oil rings?

On a side note, I've owned my MR2 for a week now and I really haven't noticed any noticeable burning oil. Granted, I did fill the engine when I bought it to the top mark and just changed the oil over to synthetic this last Saturday. I guess I just haven't driven the car enough yet to notice any burning oil yet (I hope) Fingers crossed!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have no clue of the 'soak', but if it works and doesn't damage internal components, I'd be game.

I've owned mine now since December (MR2 vet having owned 3 MK1s and a MK2), and mine is using (I'm still watching it closely) about 1/2 quart every tankful of fuel or a little more. I just removed the pre-cats and they were in great shape (no problem from there), but it is a 2002 and I believe Toyota improved the engine in 2003. With all the oil my spyder is using, I never see the tell-tale sign of smoke, but have read the cat is removing that....but possibly being ruined in the process.

You do need to check the pre-cats and deal with that if not done, and...

We had a big rain last night....found my top 'drains' were clogged....the little car was soaked inside, so you need to figure out how to keep those drains clear and working. This will obviously be a routine cleaning tasks.

Otherwise, the cars drive great (I believe they handle better than the previous two marks, although they never used this much oil....even with 320k miles of use)....sigh.

Congrats on the purchase....

Rick

PS: The oil....I plan on just pouring it in until the car is paid off...then I'll deal with that issue, right now looking at purchasing a brand new short block, rebuilding the head, yadding new oil/water pump, new tensioners, clutch and belt....if the short block holds oil, I'm good to go.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have no clue of the 'soak', but if it works and doesn't damage internal components, I'd be game.

I've owned mine now since December (MR2 vet having owned 3 MK1s and a MK2), and mine is using (I'm still watching it closely) about 1/2 quart every tankful of fuel or a little more. I just removed the pre-cats and they were in great shape (no problem from there), but it is a 2002 and I believe Toyota improved the engine in 2003. With all the oil my spyder is using, I never see the tell-tale sign of smoke, but have read the cat is removing that....but possibly being ruined in the process.

You do need to check the pre-cats and deal with that if not done, and...

We had a big rain last night....found my top 'drains' were clogged....the little car was soaked inside, so you need to figure out how to keep those drains clear and working. This will obviously be a routine cleaning tasks.

Otherwise, the cars drive great (I believe they handle better than the previous two marks, although they never used this much oil....even with 320k miles of use)....sigh.

Congrats on the purchase....

Rick

PS: The oil....I plan on just pouring it in until the car is paid off...then I'll deal with that issue, right now looking at purchasing a brand new short block, rebuilding the head, yadding new oil/water pump, new tensioners, clutch and belt....if the short block holds oil, I'm good to go.
Yea, I love how this car handles, it's definitely no rental mustang convertible :)

I already removed the precats 3 days into owning it (which is scary to take apart a car you just bought :lol: )

Just thought since there's an inherent problem with the ring sticking or wearing fast that a piston soak with this stuff might work pretty well. There's a couple threads on bobstheoilguy.com saying this stuff is the shizz, which is why it's not sold over the counter. Ha, I just want a guinea pig to do it before I do B)

I'm pretty happy with the amount of power the car has, but has anyone done a thread on building a "bulletproof" 1zz-fe (if that could actually exist?)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just about to suggest that *you* try it and tell us how it went!:lol:

No, you can't do anything to the 1zz except care for it.
It's already at peak performance (without going to forced induction).
Forced Induction carries its own benefits & problems.
dang and dang...

·
Registered
672 Posts
yikes, big enough to bend a valve or clog the main cat?
sorry, i'm talking about the stuff that came out of the spark plug holes. they were like the size of a grain of sand or a piece of salt

i didnt notice much carbon coming out of the exhaust. but then again i was sitting in the car when it started up. as for the cat, i installed a catless downpipe before i did it but i really doubt this procedure would clog it

it did make my CEL come on though, but i cleared it with the battery and it never came back. wonder what it was?

oh, nice avatar, love that movie

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, i'm talking about the stuff that came out of the spark plug holes. they were like the size of a grain of sand or a piece of salt

i didnt notice much carbon coming out of the exhaust. but then again i was sitting in the car when it started up. as for the cat, i installed a catless downpipe before i did it but i really doubt this procedure would clog it

it did make my CEL come on though, but i cleared it with the battery and it never came back. wonder what it was?

oh, nice avatar, love that movie
right on, good to know about the size of the carbon particles. I really hope this loosens up the rings a little. I'm going to wait another 2K miles (500 miles before my next oil change) to do this. I have a OBD2 scanner, I'll check to see what comes up if the light comes on.

haha, I wanted to put the elevator scene gif as my avatar, but I don't want to get banned a week into being on the site :lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I changed my oil to Liqui-Moly 5W-30 synthetic and added the Liqui-Moly MOS2 anti-friction treatment at my second oil change after getting my 2002 Spyder last year. I also ran two tankfuls of 87 octane fuel w/ a can of BG 44K Power Enhancement added to each fill up. It seems that this combo has unstuck/unglued any gumming up that I had, (approx. 110k miles at the time). I don't "loose" any oil anymore, there is no more carbon build up on the top of my pistons, and the tapping/ticking noises are much reduced, (I did replace the timing chain tensioner as well). I tried the MMO treatment on my Isuzu work truck with no where near the same results.

The BG 44K isn't cheap but it seems to have been very helpful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does that have the same effect as Restore? I've heard differing opinions on Restore that it has small shards of copper and aluminum to fill cylinder wall scratches, but will foul your crankshaft bearings over time. I guess the only real safe route is a fresh short block, but that sounds like a whole lot more work than pouring a can of liquid in a hole. B)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does that have the same effect as Restore? I've heard differing opinions on Restore that it has small shards of copper and aluminum to fill cylinder wall scratches, but will foul your crankshaft bearings over time. I guess the only real safe route is a fresh short block, but that sounds like a whole lot more work than pouring a can of liquid in a hole. B)
well if your car is suffering from oval bore syndrome, nothing you can put in there will fix the issue, but only some 00-02's suffered from this problem.

what year is your car?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well if your car is suffering from oval bore syndrome, nothing you can put in there will fix the issue, but only some 00-02's suffered from this problem.

what year is your car?
2001... knock on wood it's one of the lucky ones that possibly used oval rings. :lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
ive never used Kreen, however I did do a MMO soak and along with a 0w30 oil change it solved my oil burning issues.

here is the guide i used

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?42221-Marvel-Mystery-Oil-amp-stuck-rings&highlight=

the MMO that spurted out of the holes had chunks of carbon in it. it was pretty neat. i let mine soak for 2 days.
Good to hear that the "snake oil" worked for you. LOL

Done it to many cars, doesn't always help, but I haven't hurt one yet.

Even on the ones that it didn't help I was only out a few bucks, and a little time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive never used Kreen, however I did do a MMO soak and along with a 0w30 oil change it solved my oil burning issues.

here is the guide i used

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?42221-Marvel-Mystery-Oil-amp-stuck-rings&highlight=

the MMO that spurted out of the holes had chunks of carbon in it. it was pretty neat. i let mine soak for 2 days.
couple questions, how many miles were on your engine prior to performing this? With the 0w30, did you go to synthetic or dino or even better, what brand?

·
Registered
672 Posts
wow, and even at 145K miles this solved most of your oil burning problems? That's awesome! Mine has 59K miles so there's hopefully still hope. :cool:
Thanks!
well, at 145k youre far more likely to have stuck piston rings, which i suspect my problem was. at 59k who knows. but i will cross my fingers for you

oh and just to add, my car only burned oil in vvti (5k+rpm) below that it burned none. good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, at 145k youre far more likely to have stuck piston rings, which i suspect my problem was. at 59k who knows. but i will cross my fingers for you

oh and just to add, my car only burned oil in vvti (5k+rpm) below that it burned none. good luck
Thanks, and you know, I've noticed that about mine too that it only really burns a whole bunch in vvti.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts