MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, have the same lack of acceleration gremlin that others have had. At start, long lag to get up to speed. 2002 SMT bone stock 100k no plug change yet pre-cats have not been gutted.

Car does not buck or shake, just a soft petal from a dead stop. Only happens 1 to 2 times over a 3 or 4 month period then goes away.

Other than that, car runs flawlessly.

No CEL or error code. Have removed and cleaned MAF sensor each time the problem has come up. Got a look at pre-cats while swapping out O2 sensor, looked ok. Have not changed fuel injectors but do run cleaner thru tank every couple of months.

G-man in San Diego

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
I like running a bit of Chevron Techron cleaner thru it and 93 octane every once in awhile.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks Cap.

I never would have gotten to this potential fix. I'm sure going through Toyota would have led to a new ECU and THEN a new APS after the problem continued. Hard to believe that this does not throw an CEL.

If I followed this correctly, I am looking to replace the APS (accelerator position sensor) which is mounted on the throttle body. Yes?

Many Thanks Cap

G-Man

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
That is what I'm thinking..

Do not understand why the APS problem does not throw a Cel Code. it Should.. as the Codes do exist in the Toyota Big Green Book..

I think that just Proves the SMT was not completly De-Bugged before it was put into production..

and to Confirm.. Its the APS.. not the TPS that us used on the ALL Spyders.. only the SMT has an APS.. the Foot Throttle Cable actually Pulls the APS on the Side of the T-Body.. so it's located on the T-Body.. other side from the TPS

Cap

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If I followed this correctly, I am looking to replace the APS (accelerator position sensor) which is mounted on the throttle body. Yes?
correct, and while you're changing it out I would suggest the mod that cap got pictures for in that other thread, big increase in shifting times.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
correct, and while you're changing it out I would suggest the mod that cap got pictures for in that other thread, big increase in shifting times.
Correction.. The Mod Decreases the Shifting Time..

Cap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.