MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've just installed some white led's in the number plate lights so they weren't that dirty yellow colour and now I think they look really nice! They're not too bright, they perfectly illuminate my number plate and are directed down at the number plate and not pointed backwards. After doing the install though I noticed on the pack that it says "off road use only" kind of wish the guy at the shop had said something! But this leads me to believe that these are not road legal and are probably gonna have me pulled over or fail an mot! Is there anyone with experience or knowledge in this area as I have absolutely no idea! I wouldve expected that if it's making my number plate more visible and not blinding other drivers then it shouldn't be a problem but I cant seem to find an answer anywhere!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You should be able to find the motor vehicle statute for your location online. Try google "vehicle laws lighting" or something similar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's such a hard one because the legislation was penned in 1989 or 1999 so LED's weren't even around but like I said they're not overly bright and not facing at anyone but the thing that I cant get passed is that on the back it says for off road purposes only but why would you want LICENSE PLATE lights if you weren't on road?!😆 bit confusing but just wondering if there was anyone that's had to take them out or been pulled over or heard any horror stories, just any information would be well appreciated!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The sticker is probably a disclaimer, where they are denying any responsibility for the end use of their product. I am sure that they don't care what you do with them, as long as you do not come back and sue them for selling you the wrong lights.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If they illuminate your plate nicely you are done. No cop will give two shits in hell.

Now you need to find something else ro worry about.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Disregard my last post. Just realized you are in the UK. I'm not well versed in the UK's laws regarding such things. In America you'd be good to go in almost every state... but I'm not sure about cooky California... they have special laws and regulations that are unique and often ridiculously stupid.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The "for off-road use only" disclaimers are generally for if you plan to use them for forward illumination. If you blind oncoming traffic,the manufacturer does not want to be responsible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts