MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Evan and I purchased my dream car this year , a 2003 MR2 Spyder, (manual). I love the Spyder because it's affordable, lightweight, RWD, and convertible. I used to have an 05 Corolla xrs, and was a member of 9thgencorolla. My goal for this mr2 is to swap a 2zz engine/6spd m/t into it and add a full PPE exhaust/intake system, and apexi PFC or AEM stand alone system.

Registered
Welcome .... it seems affordable now just wait till you start the upgrades . 馃榾

You can do better than a 2zz .... that's so 1990's

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I love the 2zz but maybe in the future, when I have more $$$ , I would like to do a k20 swap. Is it blasphemy to put a Honda motor in a Toyota?:giggle:

Registered
I love the 2zz but maybe in the future, when I have more $$$ , I would like to do a k20 swap. Is it blasphemy to put a Honda motor in a Toyota?:giggle:
It's not blasphemy in 2019 .... I'd much rather see you do a kswap than a 2zz any day . And by the way a 2zz isn't all that cheap and they're getting harder to find , good ones that is .

Registered
good k20's i hear are hard to find also. something about it being common to find high mileage beat up k20s falsely advertised as low mileage k20s
I went with a 2ar ... they're a dime a dozen . Still a lot of low mileage 2011 - 2016 out there .

Registered
I have owned two MR2s and considered engine replacement on each. K20 runs about $15k and 2ZZ are about $11-12k if you can find the parts. I have concluded that the car is righteous as it is. If you have to have more power, it is much cheaper to buy a car already converted or look for another brand that has what you want. These cars, unmolested, are worth a lot more in original condition than those that have been hacked for any reason. Go try an autocross in stock form and then see what doesn鈥檛 work for you, suspension, tires, etc. much more logical than powering up an MR2 to race corvettes....which is your class with a fully modified MR2...

Registered
Hello, my name is Evan and I purchased my dream car this year , a 2003 MR2 Spyder, (manual). I love the Spyder because it's affordable, lightweight, RWD, and convertible. I used to have an 05 Corolla xrs, and was a member of 9thgencorolla. My goal for this mr2 is to swap a 2zz engine/6spd m/t into it and add a full PPE exhaust/intake system, and apexi PFC or AEM stand alone system. View attachment 73802
Very ambitious. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
danwgd.
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing