MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spyder Owner and Sightings

Spyder Owner and Sightings Map
MR2 Spyder User Map ENJOY! :) (link at bottom as well)

This thread will be used as a Spyder Sighting thread, as well as a way that we can Map these sightings and the Users.
The map is not required, and there has been some concern shown about personal security. Many may object to the idea, and others may embrace it. So, If you would like some basic information, share, however if you are at all unsure, it is totally fine so simply lurk.
For those that would like to be mapped, please supply any or all of the following information:
Your Location
Spyderchat Username
First Name(last if desired)
Car Specs(year, color, mods, whatever you would like to have)
Picture URL(if you want to have one)
Website URL(if you have a blog, or a build thread; If you supply no link, i will use your spyderchat profile which is only accessible to other SC members, unless stated not to.)

MR2 Spyder User Map ENJOY! :)

Note: This requires the silverlight plugin for Windows users.

Some are familiar with the Relay map that has been around for years, although it is now out of date. It is hosted by DaSpyder. It has been around for ages(before my join date) and i found it out of date.
Here is the link to that map and to that thread. Don, if you want me to remove this link, please let me know.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
This already sort of happened...twice actually. The relay has a pretty extensive interactive map, but there was also a mapping project going on at around the same time that had some decent interest but never really took off.

I actually probably have more experience with doing this than anyone else here, and the issue is that people won't just do it on their own. At least not in the numbers you'd need to make the thing worthwhile. I had to send like 300 pm's to get the relay map information. If you did that and came to Don with a complete or semi-complete map then he might be inclined to feature it somewhere.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This already sort of happened...twice actually. The relay has a pretty extensive interactive map, but there was also a mapping project going on at around the same time that had some decent interest but never really took off.
My intention is to have a very basic setup where it is embedded within the thread and stickied. the purpose is to show members the locations of other members/retailers(monkeywrench for example) initially. I sent a pm to two mods supplying the credentials to login and modify this map.

My reasoning is that in the year i have been active and year prior i was lurking i hadn't seen anything like this that is this simplistic and to the point. Like wise, i wish i knew more people around where i live, and while only maybe a quarter of members have their location up, i believe this would be a good solution.

Others may have tried, but that is the thing, they have tried. They probably executed alone, got bored or forgot about it. With this since i have supplied the mods with the login information so that it is not reliant on only me, this way, if i do ever go anywhere it will stay active, especially if it is stickied and updated regularly.

Since you say there have been similar made, i may go into the others, see what they have to offer and pull info, etc. If that is alright with you/the creator of both.

I know one example of doing this, although it would take a while, would be to go through the member list, view their last activity, and for those still active with locations, map them. this could also be done much easier by writing a script to pull the info for me.
Even Easier, however would be if whoever is managing the site would pull the active directory from the server/host, edit the document to include only the members who are still active with their locations, then if a member decided to add more information they could.

Most people are lazy and will not feel like typing their information out, or simply just do not have the time, however if we do that, i guarantee they would use the resource. Likewise, those who would like to put more on for the community will.

All i am trying to do is give back to Spyderchat since it has given me and so many others so much. Even if that means picking up where someone else left off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It would be nice to know where people are in relation...

Vancouver, WA
Solar Yellow 2001
Bone stock

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,812 Posts
I am in. So much of the owner information on this site is obsolete because it has existed for so long and many former Spyder owners and members of this forum have sold their cars and moved on. It would be nice to know who is who, where they live and who actually still owns and drives a MR-S.

Username on SC: Rampage
First Name: Steve
Car Specs: 00 Super White Spyder Hard Top, de-badged except front JDM badge, LPX rear lip spoiler, Che Header, TRD exhaust, Che under chassis braces, Dev keyhole covers, 03 side vents, shorty antenna, TRD front tower brace, TRD rear tower brace, TRD short shift, Celica GTS seats, JIC FLT-TAR coilovers, 16x 7 38mm Moda M13 w/ 205/45 R16 Yokohama S-Drives (square set-up)
Picture URL: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/CanteringCait/Cars/Spyder3-1.jpg

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Ehh what the hell

Your Location: Bartlett TN
Username on SC: yz007
First Name: April
Car Specs: 2002 Spectra Blue, Turbo, with a hardtop
Picture URL(if you want to have one):http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k338/yz007/Photoon11-19-11at407PM4.jpg oh wait you meant of the spyder? Here you go: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k338/yz007/IMG_3351.jpg
Website URL: hell no agspyder stalks me enough........:lol:
Dman, I already have that photo. I already have your website URL so that is no biggy.

All kidding aside I would make it voluntary and not info mine to populate the map. I would strongly object to that. There are a number of folks here and elsewhere that know who I am and where I live. I chose to share that info with those folks. I don't want it out there easily accessible for anyone that logs on. I don't want just anyone to know where I live. April's husband for instance :lol:.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Kudos! I just clicked on the map. That is really cool how you can see pics of people's cars. I am waiting until I get new pics to submit. I like.

·
3,303 Posts
Alright,

Member name: tophermack
year: 01http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/tophermack/MR2%20spyder/spyder043.jpg
Mods: weapon R intake, crower cams 268/264, PPE header track pipe combo, UR underdrive pulley, TRD quick shifter, power FC, blah blah blah...

crappy picture link for now:

As for sightings, there is a guy that works in Sun Prairie that has a black spyder. Talked to him once or twice, nice guy.

·
3,303 Posts
Better watch out, april might come after you with her bad ass hairdryer powered mean machine! ;-)

I'm not entirely sure that this is a good idea.
Paranoia, I guess... but show my location as Chattanooga, TN.
One 2001 Black w/red interior, looks stock. Driven by OldMan.
One 2000 Silver w/red interior, looks stock. Driven by OldMam (the wife).

Known Neighbors (but not SC Members):
Two 2003+ Whites w/Tan top (Chattanooga, TN)
One 2000-2002 Black (Chattanooga, TN)
One Yellow (Chattanooga, TN; year unknown)
One Yellow (Ft Oglethorpe,GA; year unknown)
One Red (Ft Oglehorp, GA; year unknown)
One Silver (Ft Oglethorp, GA, year unknown)
One Green w/Tan top (Seen at Chattanooga dealership; year unknown)

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
All i am trying to do is give back to Spyderchat since it has given me and so many others so much. Even if that means picking up where someone else left off.
I'm not saying you can't do it or not to do it, I'm just saying that in my experience doing the same thing it takes a LOT of effort to get it started in earnest. Once you make a name for it then it's easier to get new people consistently coming in and to get Don interested in making it a site feature. Same way I got the relay off the ground into its own subforum.

Also, I'm probably the most active mod here so if you need help and can't get it from your current contacts just let me know and I'll do what I can. You're also welcome to use the information on the relay map if you'd like, though you might feel the need to get permission from those members.

http://www.spyderchat.com/relaymap.htm

1 - 20 of 283 Posts
About this Discussion
282 Replies
175 Participants
JimmyC
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing