MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over for information on this , couldnt find anything .

My Stock seat was old and worn , since I track the car , I've decided to put a Racing Seat in it . I got a Sparco Sprint , planted Seat Base , and OMP Sliders . Thing is : I am now Sitting approximately 1 inch higher than I was when I had my stock seat . Now it is not that big of a deal , my seating position is still pretty good , but having a racing background I know that usually the lower the better . Some of you guys might tell me to ditch the sliders and bolt the seat directly to the Planted seat base , but I am 5,7 and have kinda short legs , In the right position my seat is pretty foward and in that position I cannot get out of the car.

I want to start this discussion to know what kind of setup you guys who track are running , what brands of seat base/sliders , different configs . Ultimately I would like to know if there is anything I can change to my setup so I could bring that seating position down a bit .

·
Registered
708 Posts
I was in your same position a few months back. After looking for all possible sliders and seat bases I opted to build my own solid brackets with no sliders. This way I got as light as possible with the seat position exactly where I wanted and they are extremely strong, also it was just about 100$ in materials and I did the driver and passenger side. I build them out of a 0.25 inch thickness 6061 L bar, like these: https://www.metalsdepot.com/aluminum-products/aluminum-angle-6061. I'm about your height, I manage to get a little lower than stock seat position and still can get in and out without to much effort (after developing a special technique).

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Most likely the planted seat bracets are stealing away some height. I also built my own using generic sliders and I'm as low as you can get. My side mounts actually have one higher hole I could use but then the seat bottom hits the horizontal bracket which is basically level to the carpet already. If its really bugging you, build your own, its really not that hard except for the tunnel mount point.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have nearly the same setup as you (OP)...but I went with Corbeau seats. Their brackets and sliders are pretty much the same as Planted...the brackets connect to the sliders, and the sliders to the BOTTOM of the seat, not the sides. I'm 6'1" and I have the exact same observation as you, which is the bucket seat sits a bit higher than stock in this bracket/slider/seat config. With the adjustable OEM seat set all the way UP, it's about the same. I'm guessing the Spyder's OEM seat had about 2 inches of variability in height adjustment.

Either way, I need to see cones :))) so I always had the seat up high. The racing seat is in the same position, so it suits me just fine. There's no way I would go without sliders...I really need the adjustability.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Corbeau FX1 Pro with Bride FG seat rails is pretty low.

If you are still using stock seat belts, I wouldn't use a race seat - the lap belt won't be in its proper position unless you thread both ends through the lap belt holes. Race seats should only be used with a roll bar and harness.

I am now using a Cobra Nogaro seat with custom brackets that put it super low. I'm 5'9" but it feels great. No lap belt holes so it works fine with 3pt belts. It doesn't fit with the Bride FG seat rails though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, that was the kind of info I was Looking For. So I guess I'm going to build my own and mount it with side mounts instead of bottom mounts like I run now. As for the Aluminium L bar , I guess its all welded together ?

·
Registered
487 Posts

If you are still using stock seat belts, I wouldn't use a race seat - the lap belt won't be in its proper position unless you thread both ends through the lap belt holes. Race seats should only be used with a roll bar and harness.

I am now using a Cobra Nogaro seat with custom brackets that put it super low. I'm 5'9" but it feels great. No lap belt holes so it works fine with 3pt belts. It doesn't fit with the Bride FG seat rails though.
Do you need the bracket with this setup? Or do the FG rails act as the mounting bracket, with built in sliders? I'd consider moving to this setup with my Corbeau's if it got me a bit lower...just don't understand how they're mounted.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thank you all, that was the kind of info I was Looking For. So I guess I'm going to build my own and mount it with side mounts instead of bottom mounts like I run now. As for the Aluminium L bar , I guess its all welded together ?
No, it is possible to do it with out welding. For the outer bracket (to the door side) you need to bend it a little. The inner bracket (to the tunnel side) I did it two pieces bolted together, the front piece is like the outer bracket and in the rear another small L piece reversed to make it fit to the tunnel and the seat belt mounting point. To bad I'm out of home for the summer and I don't have pictures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It doesn't fit with the Bride FG seat rails though.
Why doesnt the FG Seat Rails fit the Cobra ? These Slider/rails seams like a good option since my Sparco Sprint can be side mount or bottom mount . I am trying to check the measurements of the different seats and comparing with the measures on the Bride Sliders .

·
Registered
901 Posts
Why doesnt the FG Seat Rails fit the Cobra ? These Slider/rails seams like a good option since my Sparco Sprint can be side mount or bottom mount . I am trying to check the measurements of the different seats and comparing with the measures on the Bride Sliders .
the Cobra mounting points are too wide, so you can't get the two halves of the FG close enough to fit in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
avinash240
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing