MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

for some time now I've been having thoughts of increasing the ground clearance for my MR2. I have I/C and air filter at the rear looking down from the Rotrex project times and as this car does see some gravel and bumpy roads, it would be really great to lift it 1" or so. That would provide additional security for the body and mechanical parts against various debris.

The lightness of the car shouldn't introduce any major additional body roll (in the worst case scenario, I can always counter that with suspension tuning).

The car is with the largest fitting wheels already.

A good advice on how to increase ground clearance in a durable way would be very appreciated! I was thinking about spacers that would go on top of the coil springs, but is it realistic to find such for a car like this? On the other hand, all the adjustable coil-overs must be for reducing the height... Maybe you heard of some exceptions?

Thank you!
Oxy-

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Hello,

for some time now I've been having thoughts of increasing the ground clearance for my MR2. I have I/C and air filter at the rear looking down from the Rotrex project times and as this car does see some gravel and bumpy roads, it would be really great to lift it 1" or so. That would provide additional security for the body and mechanical parts against various debris.

The lightness of the car shouldn't introduce any major additional body roll (in the worst case scenario, I can always counter that with suspension tuning).

The car is with the largest fitting wheels already.

A good advice on how to increase ground clearance in a durable way would be very appreciated! I was thinking about spacers that would go on top of the coil springs, but is it realistic to find such for a car like this? On the other hand, all the adjustable coil-overs must be for reducing the height... Maybe you heard of some exceptions?

Thank you!
Oxy-

If your car is already stock ride height, you're probably out of luck as far as off-the-shelf solutions.

You could possibly convince Drummond Motorsports (DMS) to build a coilover system. They specialize in rally coilovers, and most of their suspension systems will be able to lift a car.

Otherwise, I would say to engineer a spacer to sit between the strut tower and top hats on each corner, much like Subaru does with their "Outback" line of cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Otherwise, I would say to engineer a spacer to sit between the strut tower and top hats on each corner, much like Subaru does with their "Outback" line of cars.
Thank you for a refreshing idea! I did a search and found nice lift-ups with the spacers you mentioned:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22855&page=8
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-spacer-lift-templates-strut-spacer-front.jpg

It seems, they use HDPE plastic, from which one should possibly be able to manufacture a DIY solution for any car with some careful measuring & cutting.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thank you for a refreshing idea! I did a search and found nice lift-ups with the spacers you mentioned:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22855&page=8
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-spacer-lift-templates-strut-spacer-front.jpg

It seems, they use HDPE plastic, from which one should possibly be able to manufacture a DIY solution for any car with some careful measuring & cutting.

Since the stock top hats won't have enough thread on them, consider building them in a style like H&R builds their wheel spacers, where you'd bolt them to the spacer, and then the spacer would have new studs to attach to the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the stock top hats won't have enough thread on them, consider building them in a style like H&R builds their wheel spacers, where you'd bolt them to the spacer, and then the spacer would have new studs to attach to the car.
I'm looking at SA-15 and SA-50 pages from the Repair Manual. It's unclear and from the top of my head I don't remember whether the Suspension Supports have three threaded studs or three bolts. If they were bolts, I could just replace them with longer ones. If they are threads, it might make sense to remove them and install longer bolts instead, if possible at all.

I'm concerned that the plastic is not strong enough to act as a new stud holder. It would be a lot more robust if long bolt went from Suspension Support through the spacer and compressed it.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm looking at SA-15 and SA-50 pages from the Repair Manual. It's unclear and from the top of my head I don't remember whether the Suspension Supports have three threaded studs or three bolts. If they were bolts, I could just replace them with longer ones. If they are threads, it might make sense to remove them and install longer bolts instead, if possible at all.

I'm concerned that the plastic is not strong enough to act as a new stud holder. It would be a lot more robust if long bolt went from Suspension Support through the spacer and compressed it.
Even if they are studs, there's no reason you couldn't drill them out and replace them with bolts, which would alleviate most of your concerns.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts

I dont' think this is going to work. The spacer must be custom machined to fit inside the shock tower and match the three top mounts bolts.

The other option would be to replace the top mount with a custom piece shaped like the Tein SSP mounts.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/246/29062008537hn9.jpg/

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
You can get .75 to 1.0" lift by just moving the spacer. Look at the picture and the spacer
on the left is usally on the top under the nut. If you move the spacer and put a couple
washers on the spring side and just use the nut on top it will lift the car. Don't forget to use a spring compresser before you take the nut off.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Wait wait wait....

You want to LIFT a sports car because you are worried about ground clearance? I'm sorry, but REALLY? This is the dumbest thing I've heard on this forum in a long time. You bought a sports car, it already has a like 8" of ground clearance from the factory. If you are worrying about gravel roads damaging your paint, you are driving too fast on gravel roads. Take a different road, or get a clear car bra. Or better yet, go buy a Civic or Corolla.

The MR-S/MR2 Spyder is a Toyota. You don't have some rare Ferrari or Porsche or something.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps the OP is interested in Rallying.
Thanks, that is one of the reasons. Where I live you want to have a universal car and 4.9" of original clearance sometimes is not enough. It's great to have a car which you can both take on a tarmac track/arena and on a local windy gravel road. Sometimes just local road can become challenging (and there's just no "different" road).

phattires, I really appreciate your in-depth advice!

Happy Easter to everyone!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Happy Easter back at you! Keep us updated on what you do with this!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Reading your sig, do you have Konis all around or just for the fronts? Easiest solution would be to fit coilover sleeves and some 10 or 12in springs.

You'll have to start measuring available droop but if my memory is correct, they have a decent amount of shock travel so you won't have to worry too much if you want to raise it 1/2in to 1 inch above stock.

Some off the shelf coilovers might have a long enough threaded body to get you up there easily too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can get .75 to 1.0" lift by just moving the spacer. Look at the picture and the spacer on the left is usally on the top under the nut.
You know, it seems, that if one moved the spacer down, it would not really increase the ride height :) Yes, the shock absorber's rod would become longer, but car's weight applied to the spring would just push that additional 1" length into the shock absorber's body. The shock absorber might have relatively more restriction for this push-in and maybe it would collapse 0.75" (or so) instead of all 1", leading to some lift, but not the whole 1" :)

Reading your sig, do you have Konis all around or just for the fronts?
Just in front for now. But the Konis I was able to find at that time were not full shock absorbers, rather than capsules. So, I had to cut the original ones and implant the Koni capsules into them.

In other words, I could do a rather complete upgrade for the rear part, if there were a set of coilovers
, which provided an option for the increased ride height (were not able to locate such).

Easiest solution would be to fit coilover sleeves and some 10 or 12in springs.
Interesting suggestion. Trying to find something for MR2 with no luck so far...

BTW, do you happen to know what is the stock MR2 springs length?

You'll have to start measuring available droop but if my memory is correct, they have a decent amount of shock travel so you won't have to worry too much if you want to raise it 1/2in to 1 inch above stock.
That's correct, Koni capsules have enough of travel for that kind of raise, but are there any adjustable height sleeves for the capsules?..

Some off the shelf coilovers might have a long enough threaded body to get you up there easily too.
It might be that I'm reading the specs incorrectly, but all the coilovers I've seen for sale provide something like ride height of "min = -32mm" & "max = -11mm"... I.e. only decrease of it.

BTW, the adjustable coilover sleeves must be usually designed for the flat ending springs? Stock MR2 springs are cork screw type...

I appreciate your help on this! Apparently, there is more than one way to attack this - but need to choose the most appropriate for the given situation.

Thank you!

·
Registered
963 Posts
You know, it seems, that if one moved the spacer down, it would not really increase the ride height :) Yes, the shock absorber's rod would become longer, but car's weight applied to the spring would just push that additional 1" length into the shock absorber's body. The shock absorber might have relatively more restriction for this push-in and maybe it would collapse 0.75" (or so) instead of all 1", leading to some lift, but not the whole 1" :)

Just in front for now. But the Konis I was able to find at that time were not full shock absorbers, rather than capsules. So, I had to cut the original ones and implant the Koni capsules into them.

In other words, I could do a rather complete upgrade for the rear part, if there were a set of coilovers
, which provided an option for the increased ride height (were not able to locate such).

Interesting suggestion. Trying to find something for MR2 with no luck so far...

BTW, do you happen to know what is the stock MR2 springs length?

That's correct, Koni capsules have enough of travel for that kind of raise, but are there any adjustable height sleeves for the capsules?..

It might be that I'm reading the specs incorrectly, but all the coilovers I've seen for sale provide something like ride height of "min = -32mm" & "max = -11mm"... I.e. only decrease of it.

BTW, the adjustable coilover sleeves must be usually designed for the flat ending springs? Stock MR2 springs are cork screw type...

I appreciate your help on this! Apparently, there is more than one way to attack this - but need to choose the most appropriate for the given situation.

Thank you!
Fitting coilover sleeves with the Koni setup will be custom. There's a few write ups on this board on how to do it. It's a little difficult sorting everything but not hard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts