MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you running?
Why did you choose yours over another brand?

I would also like to get the opinions of some guys in Europe running the Japanese manufacturers flywheels that are available. You guys seem to have better access to them and they seem more common on cars across the ocean.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I will probably pick up the fidanza through work but I also considered the Toda.

ACT also has an aluminum flywheel coming out in Jan. If I haven't purchased one by then I will def. go with ACT.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Wouldn't know about better access, Japanparts delivers there too..
Maybe they are just more popular over here?

I went for the TRD. While it may not be the lightest there is, at least it should be OEM quality. What can I say, it's great, it's how a sportscar should come from a factory. No issues whatsoever with it, everything just feels more responsive.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I went with the Tom's because it was the lightest 2zz chromoly that I could get my hands on. I have used Fidanza2zz, MWR Chromoly 2zz, toda 1zz, TRD 1zz. The only one to ever fail was the fidanza due to a missedshift. It sheared one of the pressure plate mounting tabs clean off. Luckily the motor was built to take it and was unscathed sans a clutch and flywheel.

They makes a great difference in 1st and 2nd gear. I am a little suprised you can't have one for your motor. Didn't you know NOT having one could make you die or roll the car!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL!

During the original build, there weren't really any options for aftermarket flywheels yet. I wanted to wait until more became available, like now, to make a decision. I don't really know which one to go with just yet, I want to do a little more research and get a few more responses first.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I reccomend chromolly because they are less likely to fail from unusual circumstances. Aluminum has the advantage of moving more heat away from the clutch but unless you expect serious clutch slippage then it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
yea if act is coming out w/one i'd try that, its prob gonna be very light and probably pretty cheap if you deal w/them or know someone who does, would help if you needed a clutch at the same time too. Your probably going for the lightest possible since your staying NA right.
i have the toda, quality of most toda parts ive ever seen is second to none so i cant complain, weight wasnt my biggest concern, i'd rather not have it fail and have to pull pieces of alum. out of the back of my skull.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
i got the mwr because it can be machined, and it was on sale...

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
and as it turns out, it might have something to do with why i havent died with the same size tires all around...

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I'll have to call ACT again and see if they are still on schedule. If so I could do an introductory GB thing as I already talked to my friend that works there. Sucks to wait for it but I would guess we might get them for about $200 approx this winter.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Ryan, i think the 2zz has a lighter flywheel :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
734 Posts
im running a fydanza lightweight flywheel with a custom build clutch kit from a local clutch shop... reinforced clutch with a stiffer pressure plate

it has a nice throtle responce now with the lighter flywheel and as if it really needed it it revs up faster and better..and it hasnt slipped on me yet

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rad. Thanks for the input, guys.

We are an ACT dealer, so I might try that one. It depends on how long I feel like waiting, lol.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
don't frget about JUN flywheel. i have one in my 2001 corolla s. it weighs 4.4lbs and it's a solid 1 piece design made of chromolly. unfortunately because of low demand for anything 1zz, they had to machine one out when i ordered it. took about 4 months to get it.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Originally posted by sxlostv1
don't frget about JUN flywheel. i have one in my 2001 corolla s. it weighs 4.4lbs and it's a solid 1 piece design made of chromolly. unfortunately because of low demand for anything 1zz, they had to machine one out when i ordered it. took about 4 months to get it.
thats very light for chromoly

Ryan, are you worried about resurfacing it again ? fidanza might be the way to go if yes since you can buy the replacement plates pretty easily.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Originally posted by sxlostv1
it weighs 4.4lbs and it's a solid 1 piece design made of chromolly.
Did you actually weigh it? From what I've seen listed, the JUN was heavier than that. Maybe it was 4.4kg...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by dustylax
Ryan, are you worried about resurfacing it again ? fidanza might be the way to go if yes since you can buy the replacement plates pretty easily.
That is something that I haven't even thought about, thanks for reminding me.

As long as the flywheel makes it one year, I don't mind buying a new one once a year instead of resurfacing it. I would imagine that any flywheel I would get could last a year, correct?

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
any flywheel should last a year, but why replace it when it only costs $40 to resurface it? besides, the machining is just weight reduction...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts