MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help make a list of pruducts that actually work at clearing up headlights and gettin rid of that ugly yellowing.
Ive heard of only a select few.

One product that works excellent (that i use everytime i detail my car) is "Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish". Sounds weird to use on a headlight but it seriously works. just rub a bit on the headlight with a rag (i use a waxing pad/sponge) and wipe away to a clear headlight again. stays clear for about 2 months before starting to turn yellow again (for me)

What other products do the same? last longer?

·
Registered
663 Posts
i only tried one and its plastx. but you have to use it with a machine buffer to get the best results and i noticed difference. my headlights are allready bad but this cleaned it good. still yellow tho. if anybody can post pics of their favorite headlight cleaning product of befores and afters. that would be great.

·
Registered
23,055 Posts
I have been telling you guys that Zaino Z-14 works. My headlights are almost 11 years old and when I bought it in 2004 the headlights looked a little hazed and since I have been using it twice a year I never seen them Yellow. After I use it the optical quality of the plastic looks like glass. Sal Zaino says he developed this product specifically for Lexan windows for racing.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-14

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I have been telling you guys that Zaino Z-14 works. My headlights are almost 11 years old and when I bought it in 2004 the headlights looked a little hazed and since I have been using it twice a year I never seen them Yellow. After I use it the optical quality of the plastic looks like glass. Sal Zaino says he developed this product specifically for Lexan windows for racing.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-14
any before and after pics? would this work as well as it does on your car with another thats in worst condition?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I bought the Meguiar's PlastX headlight restoration kit and it worked well. It's not very expensive and comes with the liquid product as well as a buffing pad attachment that goes where a drill bit does on an electric drill. It cleaned up some yellowed hazy headlights on a used Mazda Protege that I bought. They looked crystal clear after I finished though it was hard to get every single corner of them without removing them from the car. Using the liquid product by hand isn't nearly effective enough compared to using the pad w/ the drill.

Considering how well this worked for me, I would never entertain using one of those kits that require you to sand your headlights.

After cleaning them up, I think the key to keeping them haze-free is to make sure you wax your headlights just like you do your car's paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts