MR2 SpyderChat banner

301 - 320 of 323 Posts

·
1,819 Posts
how would lithium do in temps we saw lately in MW and east coast? it was 0F today and my lead acid didn't even like it...

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
how would lithium do in temps we saw lately in MW and east coast? it was 0F today and my lead acid didn't even like it...
Not good. What the Motorcycle guys do is turn on their headlights to heat up the battery a bit and then they have been successful at starting.
Maybe with a much larger capacity lithium battery it might be less of a problem but with negative temps I don't think these batteries are practical.

That is why I believe lead acid at the right CCA is a better choice for an all season battery that you can depend on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the Antigravity battery ok to put in the passenger compartment? You don't have to worry about it off gassing and venting it outside the cabin like a lead acid battery do you?

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Is the Antigravity battery ok to put in the passenger compartment? You don't have to worry about it off gassing and venting it outside the cabin like a lead acid battery do you?
It should not and its safer than other lithium battier technology however I wouldn't want to be the one to find out because there is a small enough possibility concerning its safety.
The battery is small enough not to have to relocate it and sufficiently cooled by the drivers side vent.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
In the worst case, the battery explodes. That is just a consequence of the stored energy density. You decide. :icon_eek:
From my research this kind of lithium technology doesn't explode but it will puncture one of the cells and vent out corpus amounts of smoke.
I certainly wouldn't want that to happen even if its rare, I would rather have the smoke on the outside.
The previous technology from a start up company made up of MIT graduates had their batteries explode. Several Lotus members found the broken bits in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So after 3 years being in the engine bay on stock location, covered with insulation blanket from engine bay heat. My Scorpion Lipo4 is officially dead. 2 years being daily and spirited driving. On its final year, the car is subjected to 3 HPDE trackdays only( this could have accelerated the degrading state of the cells). During it's life, when the car is garaged, it will seat on battery tender. It never had given me any problem and I never attempted to jump start the car.

So I have the AntiGravity ATX12HD battery posted above as my replacement and will be relocating it in the cabin, away from all the heat of the engine bay.
More pictures to come when I get around the relocation of the new battery.

- Mico

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well done! I got a month out of my first one so I relocated the replacement to the cabin. The second one lasted 3 months with no issues, but out of the blue it died. Did you get a refund from scorpion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well done! I got a month out of my first one so I relocated the replacement to the cabin. The second one lasted 3 months with no issues, but out of the blue it died. Did you get a refund from scorpion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know what is the warranty entails so I didn't bother about going about it and being pass 3yrs I would guess it's passed its warranty window.

- Mico

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm using the AntiGravity ATX12HD for the last 4 months (stock location). No issues at all.
I have an aftermarket sound system with external Amp but never turn it on with the engine off.
So far highly recommended.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I never had any issues with my homemade A123 battery used daily. I haven't had any issues with the Scorpion battery since the beginning of this thread. I did balance the homemade battery once, never done anything with the Scorpion battery. I do have a second LifwPo4 battery behind the pass seat because I drive the spyder in the winter also and wanted insurance for starting when the temp is in the teens.

·
Registered
22,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
I haven't had a chance to pull my car out of storage however my Cteck charger does some checks and lists fault codes if there are issues with the cells and so far it has passed.

Im happy so far but if my battery goes I would like to upgrade to the antigravity battery for its protection features.

I think the next technology to go mainstream is a better microcontroler to bleed off rapid overcharge from the alternator when the battery is a little low on charge.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hey everyone, PSA I noticed lithium titanate batteries are actually pretty easy to find nowadays. They basically last forever compared to these LiFeMnPO4 batteries (Mn is what gives these starter batteries their high current capacity, I believe) at 7000+ cycles, and can charge at -20 Celsius = -4F at whatever the alternator can put out, and can also work at 85C no problem.

Running this 9 Ah one would be pretty aggressive on a street car, but if you have a small solar panel to keep it topped up and don't have a thirsty car alarm it should be fine. Alternatively, put 2 together in parallel for total peace of mind. https://www.amazon.com/MiSolar-Energy-Lithium-Titanate-Replacement/dp/B078RWMGN3

I found this 20Ah one with a BMS, but it's very pricey: https://lithiumbattery.en.made-in-china.com/product/LsrxyCGUXNcR/China-Lithium-Titanate-Battery-Pack-with-High-Performance-12V-20ah-40ah-for-Car.html

I'm not sure if these are more or less sensitive to balancing than the LiFePO4 we're used to, but you could hypothetically put together you own pack for even less money. A BMS adds like 60 dollars to the cost. I would assume that if you were putting together a fairly high capacity pack the low internal resistance would help keep the cell voltages fairly even, but these aren't exactly cheap batteries so...

If you live in a place like California where it's never freezing, I think the 20Ah LiFeMnPO4s on batteryspace are better since it's so cheap: https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-prismatic-battery-12-8v-20ah-256wh-10c-rate-with-led-balancing---un38-3-passed-dgr.aspx

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I could not find the weight of the MiSolar, the other two are considerably heavier than the Scorpion LifePo4 battery.

My 365 daily driver battery setup is still working just fine, never seen a charger. Starting temps range from 14 degrees to 99 degrees with the battery in the OEM place no shielding.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I could not find the weight of the MiSolar, the other two are considerably heavier than the Scorpion LifePo4 battery.

My 365 daily driver battery setup is still working just fine, never seen a charger. Starting temps range from 14 degrees to 99 degrees with the battery in the OEM place no shielding.
Of course they're heavier, they are higher capacity, and LTO is heavier since you need 5 cells in series.

The Scorpion is fine if you drive the car often, and in warm weather. It might start at 14F but it's really not good for the battery to have the alternator putting any charge into it at that temperature. Two Scorpions put together would have no trouble with most abuse as long as it's kept warm.

These LTO batteries are a true no-compromise compared to a stock full-size lead acid, and last decades so it's a one time investment. It will start and more importantly charge at freezing temps, and deep cycle thousands of times without any damage. So what if it weighs 2lbs more...it's still a small fraction of a lead acid.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
The Scorpion has survived the abuse I have given it as well as the secondary smaller Tender for a while now. The total battery weight for both is in the neighborhood of 5 pounds. My homemade a123 battery never had issues with abuse either (I did balance charge it once in the years I used it) but its form factor wasn't good so it got replaced after I was satisfied with year round performance. My spyder is an outdoor car.

301 - 320 of 323 Posts
About this Discussion
322 Replies
39 Participants
serialk11r
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing