MR2 SpyderChat banner

321 - 323 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The Scorpion has survived the abuse I have given it as well as the secondary smaller Tender for a while now.
A tender? How often is it plugged in?

As long as the LiFePO4 doesn't fall below 90% capacity, it will be fine even in cold temps (since the alternator charges at around 14.4V).

If it were 17F outside, and you had just come back from not driving it for several weeks with it still plugged in, it would definitely take some damage from a jump start or full power alternator charge.

Several people here have gone through the batteries already, which is in line with what the specs suggest. An LTO replacement would last longer for similar money while weighing a few ounces more.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
A tender? How often is it plugged in?

As long as the LiFePO4 doesn't fall below 90% capacity, it will be fine even in cold temps (since the alternator charges at around 14.4V).

If it were 17F outside, and you had just come back from not driving it for several weeks with it still plugged in, it would definitely take some damage from a jump start or full power alternator charge.

Several people here have gone through the batteries already, which is in line with what the specs suggest. An LTO replacement would last longer for similar money while weighing a few ounces more.
Sorry for the confusion, I use a second Batterytender branded LifeP04 360 lca battery in the spyder to help with winter starts. I leave it in 365 days a year as I have used the battery posts to connect a small stereo amp for power. My LifeP04 batteries have never been charged by anything other than the spyder alternator which I suspect doesn't reach 14.4 volts which looks to be optimal for CCCV charging requirements for LifeP04 or A123 batteries. It is interesting to watch charge voltages and current changes while charging the other lithium batties I have. The spyder is driven almost daily, on long vacations I disconnect both batteries or hook up a third battery to cover drain loss. During the coldest winter months the spyder is ran at least every other day for 20 miles or so on average. My spyder is an outdoor car period with no good way to hook up a tender charger. It seems as long as I drive "daily" regardless of weather the batteries are happy enough. Seeing Lipo's catch on fire in interesting, submersing in water seems to do the trick. You really need to keep an eye on Lipo's.

I do use other A123, LifeP04, Li-on and Lipo batteries for other things and charge and balance them accordingly. I am aware of how easy it is to kill them due to storing at full charge (Lipo) and discharging them below critical levels (all). I have managed to save a few LifeP04 over discharged batteries. If memory serves well I have been using lithium iron batteries in the spyder since 2013, without issue. I did run a small AGM battery for a very short time with issues.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The spyder is driven almost daily, on long vacations I disconnect both batteries or hook up a third battery to cover drain loss. During the coldest winter months the spyder is ran at least every other day for 20 miles or so on average.
Ah okay, yea that's why your battery is still alive then. It's perfectly okay to discharge the battery at low temps, it's just not okay to charge it at low temps. In a day or two it would barely lose any capacity, and unplugged you can let it sit for months without a problem.

For someone like me who would be driving the car once every other week and leaving it in a public garage, the LTO would last much longer.

321 - 323 of 323 Posts
About this Discussion
322 Replies
39 Participants
serialk11r
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing