MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good options or buys lately on lithium battery’s for the spyder I started my battery re location project and started thinking for another $150 over agm I could pretty much mount wherever and really save some weight and keep it cool ? Options ? Thanks all

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Here's a few options:
1. Batteryspace's LFMP 20Ah (passive balance, no current protection): LiFePO4 Prismatic Battery: 12.8V 20Ah (256Wh, 10C rate) with LED Balancing - UN38.3 Passed (DGR)
2. AliExpress LiFePO4 batteries ready to go: US $210.99 |Car Battery 12V Start Lifepo4 12 Volts 40AH Lithium Batteri 36A Peak Deep Cycle for Honda Fit CITY Suzuki Alto Wagon JIMNY|battery pack|12v lifepo4 battery pack12v 36ah battery - AliExpress
3. EarthX, Antigravity, and whatever other companies are doing full feature BMS batteries these days.

Option 1 is a pretty good price, but it doesn't have low voltage cutoff or overcharge cutoff if you are worried about that. 20Ah is probably enough. You probably want an SAE post adapter.
Option 2 (and other Aliexpress stores) have really really good prices, though the cells could be overrated in capacity. Downside is you have no support, difficult returns/refunds, and it takes months for it to get across the ocean.
Option 3 is expensive, but you get a BMS, warranty, and support.

A lot of people are using a 7Ah Scorpion Stinger, but I personally don't like having that little capacity. It's just too easy to run it flat by accident.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much that’s super helpful, you are personally running one? Where did you locate it and are you happy with it ?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I ran a Scorpion Stinger on my MR-S when I had it. I tied it down with rope and double sided tape in the stock location, which actually worked fine since the thing was so light. An Ebay universal battery clamp would probably be smarter. The biggest issue I had with it was I screwed the stock blade terminals to the motorcycle terminals, and it was very very hard to get a good connection. SAE posts are the way to go for sure, I do not want to deal with that motorcycle terminal crap ever again.

If I were to do it again, I would get the 20Ah one from batteryspace. The 7Ah battery just went dead way too fast. I ordered a 40Ah lithium titanate battery off AliExpress which has yet to arrive (if it ever arrives...) for cold weather use, but I actually don't have a car to put it in lol. It's a European H5 size battery, while right now I have an Infiniti G35 beater which uses a group 35, so I don't think it'll fit in the tray.

·
Registered
151 Posts
LiFe is less tricky.
Also because of the low weight does not really warrant relocation as the cabling negates weight loss.

I have been running LiFe batteries for almost 5 years now. Swapped the first battery I bought over from the ralley car into my Spyder over 2 years ago. It weighs 800 gramms, sits in the OEM tray and starts with -5 C.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The only real precautions you need to take with LiFe are to not let it discharge all the way down, and to keep it fully charged in the cold. With a very small battery, that means keeping it on a tender, or driving the car everyday. With a larger battery, you can skip the battery tender if you aren't driving in the cold.

If you're brave and want to try ordering titanate batteries off Aliexpress like me, they are pretty much indestructible (can fast charge when cold, can be discharged all the way to 0, 10x the cycle life of LFP).

If the battery is advertised as for starting a car, the only number you need to pay attention to is the capacity in amp-hours. High current cells are usually rated for 10C discharge rates, so to me, a 20Ah battery is the bare minimum for a street car (that gives you 200A peak cranking amps, which you would need if it's very cold outside and the battery is a little low).

·
Registered
242 Posts
LiFe is less tricky.
Also because of the low weight does not really warrant relocation as the cabling negates weight loss.

I have been running LiFe batteries for almost 5 years now. Swapped the first battery I bought over from the ralley car into my Spyder over 2 years ago. It weighs 800 gramms, sits in the OEM tray and starts with -5 C.
That is very interesting !!! 800 gr.... Can you please link me which one it is? Also, does it need some kind of maintenance? Does it need to be charger when not in use? Does it die if i dont drive for a few days for example?

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is very interesting !!! 800 gr.... Can you please link me which one it is? Also, does it need some kind of maintenance? Does it need to be charger when not in use? Does it die if i dont drive for a few days for example?
Dó read the link. It´s all there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts