MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some time ago I bought a used TRD FMB. These are popular and easy to install. I thought however that the design could be improved upon (Because more triangulation is more better). So I welded in some extra bars. People seemed to like that and asked if I could make my own, similar, FMB's. So that's exactly what I did and the first batch is now done! They're 275 euros plus shipping. As with the TRD one, this is a straight bolt on piece. Please note these will not work on 2004 / 2005 cars with updated front subframe!

currently 10 available

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm pretty sure the TRD fits on all years so why is this one limited to pre-facelift?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the TRD fits on all years so why is this one limited to pre-facelift?
It does not, the post-facelift front subframe is substantially different, to the point that both the TRD and my FMB will not fit. For example take a look at the facelift subframe in the picture below, it is quite different to my car in the pictures above.

The post-facelift cars don't need any additional bracing, Toyota updated the car to be adequately braced. With these braces we can hopefully upgrade our pre-facelift cars to the same level :)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The facelift 2003 US models did not have the extensive bracing as shown in the pictures. They basically had the same brace as the earlier models with 2 bolt in cross braces. The more extensive braces shown were only 2004 / 2005 models

·
Registered
179 Posts
If I didn't have the LMB from Cusco I'd definitely look into this! If you have a hardtop you'd do yourself a huge favor by swapping the OEM brackets for Snelbaard's. (y)

On a side note, would you consider doing a replication of the TOM'S front lower bar (part no: 53682-TZW35)? I saw them on eBay awhile back and haven't been able to find them since. Below is a picture of the aforementioned part installed (red arrow).

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
225 Posts
If I didn't already have a TRD front member brace, I would jump on this opportunity in a heartbeat as the TRD accessories are very hard to source and I was very impressed with my LMR mid-brace.

Reactions: Snelbaard

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was going to ask what that brace connected to your lower control arms was, but I think that just answered it. I've already got the Cusco LMB too, but yours definitely looks like an improvement.

The LMB made a huge difference on my car, would highly recommend to anyone considering it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Very nice.

This is the US 03+ front bracing. It is comprised of 4 pieces bolted together. I pulled it off of an 03 in Pick N Pull and mounted it directly to an 01 with no problems. It's flimsy unless you replace the bolts with welds.

I would expect your piece to fit all US models 00-05.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a TOMS front brace that I could send in to get replicated if you want to make it easier. It just is slightly bent in the center because it caught the car when the jack slipped...
That's very nice of you, but when I got mine, I actually already anticipated that people might want reproductions of the brace. So before I put the brace on my car, I went ahead and fabbed up a jig which is ready to go. I'll just have to order materials, weld them together, have them powder coated and Bob's your uncle!

·
Registered
522 Posts
It sits pretty under the car Boris.

Living in Touge heaven with real world tarmac I felt the difference immediately even sedately driving homeward.

Going to Bubbly in a moment, taking the all curves and bends up or down inland route. Looking forward to the experience.

Also refitted the OEM cat. to tone the noise down a bit, thus attract a bit less attention of the plod thus feeling less inhibited still to push it 🐲

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hmmm....
Not sure whether this has been a good idea.

The FMB has made the most notable difference of all braces. And that is with the others mounted unlike when I fitted the front tower brace which was the first. Go figure.

It adds unexpected exactness to the front.

With the rubbahs warmed up nicely the car simply chállenged me to nail corners.
I have this slight corner entry bad left over from motorcycle racing; when pushing I tend to touch the rear brake to stabelise. I knów it is not the same with a car as that brakes more with the front but it is a reflex which I am aware of and trý to wean myself off of.
This FMB seems to do that. It adds a confidence which apprearant overrides the reflex.
I went a bit overboared and checked myself when it developed into four wheel drifting at the naughty side of 100-120 km/h on the comarcales. OK, nobody on the road during lunch time on these even during no-rush hour empty roads but still not a race track so... beháve Petrus, behave and ZÉNNNNN.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That's very nice of you, but when I got mine, I actually already anticipated that people might want reproductions of the brace. So before I put the brace on my car, I went ahead and fabbed up a jig which is ready to go. I'll just have to order materials, weld them together, have them powder coated and Bob's your uncle!
I would be interested in the Toms brace on the steering rack.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts