MR2 SpyderChat banner

Loaner Techstream

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  leepear 
#1 ·
I made a loaner laptop with techstream preloaded and ready to go.

I need a $400 deposit, and you pay shipping from zip code 31405. Deposit is promptly refunded when the laptop arrives back home (or at the next users house). So your total cost is usually about $20.

Rectangle Motor vehicle Gas Font Automotive exterior

Computer Personal computer Laptop Touchpad Netbook

Computer Personal computer Touchpad Peripheral Netbook

See less See more
#12 ·
The software provided flashes only with dealer credential. If you have dealer credential, you are probably not using this knock-off cable. Besides, as I have discussed at length previously, the Spyder generation of ECU cannot be reflashed - not by the dealer, not by anyone at Toyota, not by anyone on planet Earth. For a flashable ECU you have to wait until MY2003 ECU's that have J2534 compliance, that were never used on the ZZw30 platform - but they were used in Corollas and Matrix and other 1zz vehicles.

With that said it would not be impossible for someone to inject malicious code onto the chipset of these cables, and while it would not affect the Spyder ECU, it could affect other vechicle ECU's or the host system.

#13 ·
The software provided flashes only with dealer credential. If you have dealer credential, you are probably not using this knock-off cable. Besides, as I have discussed at length previously, the Spyder generation of ECU cannot be reflashed - not by the dealer, not by anyone at Toyota, not by anyone on planet Earth. For a flashable ECU you have to wait until MY2003 ECU's that have J2534 compliance, that were never used on the ZZw30 platform - but they were used in Corollas and Matrix and other 1zz vehicles.

With that said it would not be impossible for someone to inject malicious code onto the chipset of these cables, and while it would not affect the Spyder ECU, it could affect other vechicle ECU's or the host system.
Oh I see, I noticed my cheaper techstream rep cable the cluster throws xmas tree of lights, but my expensive cable does not and has less errors in functions in general

#9 ·
The cable, hell even the charging port its connected to can be loaded with malware however thats bordering NSA/international espionage level hacking.

#11 ·
We had some of those aftermarket cables on laptops back when I worked at the Toyota dealership and never had any issues with them. Reflashed hundreds of cars with new calibrations and no issues with the cable or techstream software. Also, Iirc the factory ecu in the Spyder is from the era of before the calibration file could be updated.

#18 ·
Mine is an XP laptop. Cheapish cable. No lights. Just works. I've used it on my Tundra, FRS & many Spyders.
What is consider a cheap vs. expensive cable?

Reactions: Gabzor
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.