MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: New to me 2001 with 150k miles. Burns oil, runs very rough/low power. Previous owner did plugs/wires, but not much else. Don't know history before then. Bought with the intention to swap engine, but I want to get acquainted with the car a bit first.

It was misfiring (all 4), but I cleaned the MAF (was filthy), and that seems to have gone away. Idle got better after cleaning throttle plate also.

Initially I thought the low power was due to the plugged exhaust since it was burning so much oil. But, I've been messing around the past few days, and realized it's much harder to start after the engine is warm.

I think this leads to a fuel pump issue since (I think) the car sends more fuel on cold starts? Would also make sense with the low power symptom. I don't think I hear it prime at KOEO, but do hear clicking. Will need to get a helper to verify.

I think there's no easy way to tap into the fuel line to measure pressure, right? I'll get some starting fluid and see if that starts the car when hot as another diagnosis. Other possibility is leaking injectors I guess. Not sure how to test for that. Fuel trims are high.

Thanks for any thoughts. Trying not to parts canon especially since the plan is to swap the engine/exhaust.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I don't think I hear it prime at KOEO, but do hear clicking. Will need to get a helper to verify.
This is the second time today I write that the fuel pump runs only with the engine spinning. It does not run or prime with key at run position engine off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts