MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at putting a 3.5 2GR FE in a Spyder and want to know what Transmission options do i have.

i hear you can put a E153 from a MR2 turbo. ( do you have to cut the rear sub frame?)

on the S54 i have also seen that they have to CUT / MOD the Rear Sub Frame ( i really do not want to do this.)

what manual Transmissions will mount to the 2GR-fe?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Besides the e153 and s54 you can mount an EB60/EB62 (6-speed from Camry or Scion) or an EA60 (this last one is used in Lotus Evora and requires an adapter plate available from MWR - it is very heavy and would not be my choice).

I believe you can use Gouky's mounting system for the EB60/2AR to avoid cutting the subframe. Then you can also use all of his shift linkage goodness. Check with Marc for compatibility for the 2GR but I believe he has stated that this would work conceivably.

You have the option to buy a tubular subframe and mounting system for the e153 from DDPR.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If you use Gouky's trans mounts with the eb60/62 you don't have to cut the rear cross member . But you would have to cut above the front cross member into the firewall for clearance for the head to stick thru .

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If you use Gouky's trans mounts with the eb60/62 you don't have to cut the rear cross member . But you would have to cut above the front cross member into the firewall for clearance for the head to stick thru .
You kind of have to cut there anyway if you want to have any hope of ever servicing the front bank of the engine without dropping it. Paul Hibbs "Cyclehead" has done a really nice how-to for this. This forward mounting position is also really nice for the weight distribution of the car. But however it may limit your options for a AC compressor because you do not want to cut that frame rail and I don't know one way or the other if anything will fit with the engine that far forward.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Gouky's working on ac compressor for the 2ar that I'm sure will cross over ... man that thing is tiny . Plus I'd rather cut the front cross member then the rear anyday .

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
E153 new axles are off the shelf retail now available in different strengths for more money. Depending on what you do with your rear hubs you may end up building either a custom axle or a custom hub or both ha ha ha ha up to you.

This is not a cheap swap. If you have to even think about how much you're spending, or if you have a budget, or you answer to a spouse, don't do it.

PS. With that said the Spyder situation has improved a lot from where you had to fabricate every single last item a few years ago to where almost everything is retail now you just pay for it and bolt it together.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The real answer for A/c is to put a electric compressor in the frunk just like you do on a lot of other swaps and restomods. This helps weight distribution, simplifies plumbing, and there's plenty room for it. But it costs $$$$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
MerryFrankster
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing