MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for 15x10 wheels. I've been looking at the 6ULs but I don't like the offset. Anyone tried these? How do they fit? Also considering the Spin Werks model 82 (already have 2 but will need 2 more). Looking for other options and recommendations. I also looked at Keizers, Bogarts, etc., but I'd rather not spend that much, at least not on the first set. Anybody autocrossed with 15x10 wheels?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes I have the 6UL 15x10. It does poke out of the fender and there is no mass produced street tire for this kind of width. I'm running 225/50/15 on them and it has a stretch to them. With that said, there are many options for track tires 245/40 or 235/45. Haven't autocrossed mine yet, but have occasionally done spirited canyon driving.

Clearance is VERY tight inside between the strut and wheel. Around 3-5 mm, I think.

Looks very gnarly on the Spyder.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be running slicks, not street tires. I knew the clearance would be tight with the 6ULs. Do you run any spacers?

·
Registered
643 Posts
No need for spacers on the 15x10 6UL BUT if you run (wide) square slick tires on them, then you may have to in order to clear the spring.

If you run a small/thin spacer you may also have to get extended lug studs on your spyder since the wheel pad is thick and leaves not much room for the lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew that. I've already got some spacers/lugs but I'm trying not to have to use them. So far the Spin Werks seem like the best option. They clear everything, I can get the correct backspacing, and wouldn't need spacers or longer lugs. And are under $300 a wheel shipped. Others I've looked at are cheaper but I'd need spacers so there goes the savings. I'd rather spend a little more on the wheel and not have to mess with anything else.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have some 15 x 10 I bought for my mk1 that I like . The brand is Real Racing wheels....
3pc. so you can change things up later if you want. They were a little pricey at $400 ea
and that's been a few years ago but you can get the offset you want.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bias slicks or radials? The alignment will be substantially more clearance friendly to the strut with bias slicks...
Either. I'm leaning toward the Avons right now. A DP MR2 and the Corolla that won EP last year both had Spinworks 15x10 with Avons. They are a little more $$ but seem to have good life.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Post pics when you make the decision of which wheel setup you go for. I'm interested in seeing them.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what the Spinwerks look like.

Rear

Front

The Spinwerks have a 4-1/2 inch backspace and there is still 2-1/4 inch clearance.
Front

Rear

The 6ULs have 6.45 inch backspace. Just a bit under 2-inch more than the Spinwerks. That would reduce my clearance to about 1/4 inch without spacers.

The Spinwerks are available in custom offsets so I could get them with the same backspace as the 6ULs but the Spinwerks run about $260-$280 per wheel depending on the vendor. I've also seen varying reports of the weight of the Spinwerks from 13.5 to 15.5 lbs. which puts them from even to about 2 lbs. heavier.
I've got a set of the 6ULs on order.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've autocrossed with less than 3mm clearance between strut and the wheel and never got any rubbing. 1/4" clearance is more than plenty.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You're going to need some camber up front to clear that... The spinwerks look like they're a square (non-staggered) setup?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what the 15x10 6ULs look like.

Rear

Front

The 6ULs have a 6.45-inch backspace. Which leave me about 1/2-inch clearance.
Rear

Front

1 - 14 of 14 Posts